Flex track

Started by Bryan Thatcher, September 22, 2017, 03:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RMurphy195 on September 22, 2017, 03:17:23 PM
Does this mean that,in regards to Peco Code 55/Code 80

1) They are compatible i.e can join them together,
Yes sort of :) with care and adjustment and a wee bit of fiddling, there is recent 2-page discussion with some pictures (edit, sorry my pictures all gone as I have been told not to perpetuate any myths ) here  :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38641.0

Newportnobby

I have found code 55 to be stronger than code 80 regarding flexitrack as, sometimes, code 80 rail can pull out of the chairs when curving it. Also, code 55 has arrows under the sleepers showing which way to bend it, although maybe code 80 has caught up with that. I don't know. I always try to avoid having joins in flexitrack on bends, and certainly do not use plastic joiners in bends :no:

njee20

Quote from: MalcolmAL on September 22, 2017, 03:52:57 PM
Quote from: RMurphy195 on September 22, 2017, 03:17:23 PM
Does this mean that,in regards to Peco Code 55/Code 80

1) They are compatible i.e can join them together,
Yes sort of :) with care and adjustment and a wee bit of fiddling, there is recent 2-page discussion with some pictures here  :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38641.0

There's no sort of. You can easily join them, you just need to do something to support the join. As discussed in that thread as you say.

Code 55 is definitely stronger too, you almost never get the rail pulling out of the chairs if you catch it.

mattycoops43

Quote from: newportnobby on September 22, 2017, 04:05:33 PM
I have found code 55 to be stronger than code 80 regarding flexitrack as, sometimes, code 80 rail can pull out of the chairs when curving it. Also, code 55 has arrows under the sleepers showing which way to bend it, although maybe code 80 has caught up with that. I don't know. I always try to avoid having joins in flexitrack on bends, and certainly do not use plastic joiners in bends :no:

Sadly there is no other way when you have 6-7' radius curves on your layout. Some of my curves are over 3 lengths of flexi. It's a hard life. :D

Matt

MalcolmInN

Quote from: njee20 on September 22, 2017, 06:13:18 PM
There's no sort of.
You can easily join them,
Thank you for entirely missing the big yellow smiling face,

and pardon me for not telling the guy it is easy and for bothering him with a link to some further reading !

njee20

Eh? You implied to me it was in some way difficult, i simply countered that it's not, and agreed that there's sound advice in the thread, in which you and I participated... ???

Jon898

Remember that this applies to Peco flex in 55, but not to other makes.  With the OP in the US, the predominant track systems are Atlas, and Atlas flex in 55 is definitely not stronger than 80.  Availability and designs of Peco, Atlas and MicroEngineering were all discussed in an earlier thread initiated by the OP in January, and he's using Atlas:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36018.msg422123#msg422123

In addition to the relative sturdiness of the Peco product, the design also makes using older stock less of a challenge if they have oversized flanges...something that even Atlas 80 has become an issue with on the frogs.

Jon

Newportnobby

Quote from: mattycoops43 on September 22, 2017, 07:01:02 PM

Sadly there is no other way when you have 6-7' radius curves on your layout. Some of my curves are over 3 lengths of flexi. It's a hard life. :D

Matt

If only I had the space for such large radii, Matt. However, I would venture the strain on the joiners is not so high at 6-7ft radius.

jpendle

For everybody's information

Peco track is widely available here in the US.

BUT it's generally cheaper to buy it from Hattons, et al, rather than buying it locally.

VAT deduction covers the shipping and their is no import duty in the US for model trains.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

MalcolmInN

Quote from: njee20 on September 22, 2017, 08:03:35 PM
Eh? You implied to me it was in some way difficult, i simply countered that it's not, and agreed that there's sound advice in the thread, in which you and I participated... ???
"Eh?" > Wot ? !
"You implied to me" > I did no such thing, you may have implied that, I have no control over your feelings nor assumed implcations,

I am just considerably miffed at being chastised by DrAl when I agreeably supported your view that it was all 80 really when in my true view that it is only nearly so ! within a margin of error ! Well in my feeble hands 3 thou +/-2 on a mic is a whisker
If it is a bump to others then I am sorry I strayed into this one.
It is of little concern to me, please carry on.

Bryan Thatcher

@Jon898

You're good! The problem was I got out all of my old code 80 Atlas track, and I couldn't do what I wanted. I discovered code 55 track has a lot more options, started planning my new track. Then I got the Idea that this flex track might be a lot less messing around than with 6" pieces and connections. Here I am. I may still go with Atlas as the general consensus seemed to be it's almost as good as Peco but cheaper. Thanks.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations