Childhood memories (ruined)

Started by Intercity, September 04, 2017, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

As a complete opposite to some of the previous comments. I used to ride my bike around ships' moorings on the Manchester ship canal (fenced on only the landward side and a drop straight into 30-odd feet of filthy water with almost vertical banks on the other) and down the slopes of a local hill (the grassed over remains of a huge mound of ash from a redundant power station).  When visiting them a couple of years ago, I felt positively unsafe on the moorings (even on foot) and totally unable to ride down the steeper slopes of the hill. Youth brings a feeling on invincibility that overrides sense!

daffy

Quote from: stevewalker on September 04, 2017, 11:30:01 PM
Youth brings a feeling on invincibility that overrides sense!

:hmmm: I must still be young at heart as I manage to do senseless things with startling regularity, if my wife's censures are anything to go by.   ;D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on September 04, 2017, 11:24:37 PM

And yes, I stayed in an old folks home there which reminded me of the Hotel California!

Eh? ??? ???
They had mirrors on the ceiling and pink champagne on ice? :o

BoxTunnel

:laughabovepost:

Were you a prisoner there, of your own device?
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

I wrote a long piece about the things I've lost of my childhood memories (plus  most of my adult life) but it's vanished into the ether. So here's a precis...

Schools of the 5 schools I attended.
1 is a community centre, two are demolished, one is half its previous size and one is still intact...

Of my places of work
Two have closed and moved elsewhere, one has gone completely, 4 have gone down from around 600 staff to about 25., one is half it's size. and I'm still in this one...

Of my accommodation, (mostly Military)
One is  now a prison, two are  abandoned, five are now council estates (in some case my actual buildings demolished). one is now a block of flats, three Are still intact.

The railway Station I'm modelling in EM gauge has a through line but the civilian station site is two housing estates..

Someone is following me around and destroying all my past memories

Bob G

Quote from: The Q on September 06, 2017, 11:44:27 AM
Someone is following me around and destroying all my past memories

Just got back from Sri Lanka, where the music in the hotels is never more recent than the 1980s.
I guess with the Tamil civil war and the consequent reduction in tourism in that period, they missed out on the last 25 years of western music.
Worst had to be the guest clarinettist for the evening murdering Lionel Ritchie's "Hello"
Something like howling dogs...

Someone is following me around and reviving all of my past memories - badly

joe cassidy

Don't lose sight of the fact that some things are better now than in the 60s/70s.

- there's a much better choice of food & drink in supermarkets
- cars are more confortable and easier to drive
- we have McDonalds and other fast food
- pubs can open all day
- vacuum cleaners actually work
- more facilities for sport
- etc.

Best regards,

Joe

themadhippy

QuoteDon't lose sight of the fact that some things are better now than in the 60s/70s.

And the death of  town centers and the small independent butcher, baker and greengrocer

Quote- cars are more confortable and easier to drive
and almost impossible to repair yourself
we have McDonalds and other fast food
And an increase in obesity  and diabetes

Quotepubs can open all day
no more thrill of the afternoon/late night lock in

Quotevacuum cleaners actually work
Nothing wrong with the old hoover junior

Quotemore facilities for sport
And thats an improvement on jumpers for goalpost and 37 a side  played in the road with a shout of "car"  every 10 minutes?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

Quote from: themadhippy on September 06, 2017, 06:28:06 PM
QuoteDon't lose sight of the fact that some things are better now than in the 60s/70s.

And the death of  town centers and the small independent butcher, baker and greengrocer

Quote- cars are more confortable and easier to drive
and almost impossible to repair yourself
we have McDonalds and other fast food
And an increase in obesity  and diabetes

Quotepubs can open all day
no more thrill of the afternoon/late night lock in

Quotevacuum cleaners actually work
Nothing wrong with the old hoover junior

Quotemore facilities for sport
And thats an improvement on jumpers for goalpost and 37 a side  played in the road with a shout of "car"  every 10 minutes?
What a depressing outlook. Swings and roundabouts... Some things are better and others are worse. Best to focus on the good things of today methinks....
:claphappy:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

.....like good quality n Gauge models
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

scottmitchell74

I've said for years that I long for 1987's technology in all ways except medical knowledge/technology.

Fun thread! Some things are better: Model railroad stuff, The Office (both sides of the pond), Detectorists, my wife and I are allowed to be married, my kids can go to any school/college, health foods taste better.

And some things are worse: Social media, the 24-7 "news" cycle, "reality" tv, traffic, #!@*& smart phones that have everyone with their faces pointing down.

No matter what,  :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on September 06, 2017, 06:41:31 PM
Spot on Sir... Now where did I put me cheque book.
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

Quote from: austinbob on September 06, 2017, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: daffy on September 06, 2017, 06:41:31 PM
Spot on Sir... Now where did I put me cheque book.
:)

I prefer a bank transfer Bob. I'll send you the codes. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

joe cassidy

Quote from: themadhippy on September 06, 2017, 06:28:06 PM

Did you ever visit Tescos in the early 70s ?

Rice was exotic (except when boiled with milk and sugar and served with a dollop of jam).

Does anyone feel nostalgic about tapioca, sago, school dinners, gypsy tart (makes you ..........) ?

Does anyone miss the Navy Lark, Sing Something Simple with the Adams Singers, followed by Sunday evening TV ?

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations