2017 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, July 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I only watched the highlights, but agreed, amazing stage. Always looked like it was going to be a brilliant one. Froome's victory looks more likely with Contador, Martin and Quintana all losing time.

Impressed with Dan Martin; highsided into the mountain, takes neutral service bike, crashes again, gets back up and still ends up in second bunch on the road.

Webbo

After this last stage, I'd suggest that Chris Froome is going to win this year's Tour as a virtual shoe-in barring something horrible happening to him, heaven forbid. He is an exceptional athlete, a real sportsman, and a highly intelligent biker so he is certainly deserving, but I'd like to see some serious competition. The Contadors and Quintanas of the world have fizzled this year so far and there doesn't seem to be anyone else knocking on his door.

Webbo

njee20

He just looks so ungainly on a bike!

This site is amusing.

RichardBattersby

Quote from: njee20 on July 11, 2017, 11:40:30 AM
He just looks so ungainly on a bike!

This site is amusing.

Funny  :smiley-laughing:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Webbo

Quote from: Webbo on July 11, 2017, 09:14:57 AM
The Contadors and Quintanas of the world have fizzled this year so far and there doesn't seem to be anyone else knocking on his door.

Or, should I say looking at his stem?

Very good njee20. :thumbsup:

Webbo

BoxTunnel

I looked, but I couldn't see "looking at stem, whilst winning the Tour.  Again."
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Newportnobby

Fair play to Marcel Kittel who seems to be the sprinter of the tour so far although, of course, there is no Sagan.
I'm disappointed in André Greipel this year as he seems out of sorts and, despite his team giving him good lead ins to the finish, he can't seem to be there at the death :hmmm:

BoxTunnel

Agreed.  With Sagan and Cavendish out one would have hoped Griepel would be in the mix. He's a really exciting sprinter, but I guess he's not at full strength at the moment.  Seems Kittel is nailed on for the Green Jersey.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Newportnobby

Am I alone in thinking Greipel removes his teeth before the race? All the shots of him in the bunch sprints seem to show him 'gumming' rather than grimacing :goggleeyes:

njee20

Yes, very odd! Another one who just doesn't quite look right on a bike!

Not sure if Sagan would've been beating Kittel, he's not really the out and out sprinter, but with him and Cavendish I'm sure it would have livened things up a bit more.

Disappointing to see Bouhanni punching Jack Bauer, and then very intentionally switching someone else in the final kilometres and getting a totally meaningless time penalty. He was vastly more dangerous than Sagan. Unpleasant thug, I hope he never wins a stage.

marco neri

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Newportnobby

Oh dear. What a shock :o
Team Sky did everything right yesterday, apart from hurtling between caravans, but Froome did not have the legs to finish the job which is very worrying. Pundits are all saying everyone else needs +2 minutes over Froome due to his prowess in the time trial but I'm really starting to query his stamina, especially as I believe he has also entered the Vuelta :hmmm:
(I'm keeping my comments at +24 hrs to avoid spoiling any news for anyone)

BoxTunnel

It makes for a more exiting tour though!  However, I really don't want Aru to win it after he attacked when Froome had a mechanical problem a few days ago.

njee20

Yes, Aru doesn't seem particularly likeable, not sure why.

I think Froome will be fine, anyone will need more than 6 seconds ahead of the final TT, certainly interesting to see him looking a bit vulnerable yesterday though.

Today was good I thought (I'll delay comments until after the highlights have aired, not 24 hours!), shame Landa didn't hold onto a bit more time, but strong riding by Contador and Quintana given recent showings.

Mito

Apart from the last 500m and the helicopter shots of the local architecture and countryside, todays stage was utterly boring.
Aru's comments at the end, are they to be believed?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations