2017 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, July 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Has started . Naturally, in Dusseldorf. Where else? ;D
Surprise Day 1 leader Team Sky's Geraint Thomas, and a horrific crash for stalwart Alejandro Valverde.

As a relative latecomer to road racing I have become a huge fan and am full of admiration for these guys who ride over 3500km in all weathers. The tactical games played by the main teams are full of twists and turns, and yes, I'd like to see Chris Froome win his 4th Tour. There'll be a few more surprises along the way, I believe.

ITV4 each day

RailGooner

Yes, great to see Thomas in yellow - the first Welshman to wear the famous Maillot Jaune. :claphappy:

Valverde has abandoned having broken his knee in that crash. Quintana's lost a key team-mate there.

Bealman

Getting it here in Australia.

Great TV coverage, as usual.
:thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

cycletrak9

I have a feeling that this years TdF could be very tactical. The parcours may not be hard enough to split the GC contenders and there are fewer time trial kilometres than usual. Ritchie Porte was very strong in the Dauphine but may have peaked too early. Chris Froome needs to keep out of trouble in the next three flat stages as there are always crashes in the early stages of a grand tour. The first real indication of form will be on La Planche de Belles Filles on stage five. Quintana will miss his lieutenant Valverde in the mountains and I have a sneaking suspicion that Romain Bardet may be the revelation of this years race. Exciting times ahead!

RailGooner

Quote from: cycletrak9 on July 02, 2017, 11:09:41 AM
.. and I have a sneaking suspicion that Romain Bardet may be the revelation of this years race. ...
Any mention of Bardet, has me busting out the intro to 'On A Ragga Tip' by SL2. :bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCN1DhHTZA

cycletrak9

A bit outside my musical range that one but I see what you mean!

After the massive pile up in today's stage with 25km to go to the finish you see what I mean about keeping out of trouble.

Western Exile

As it's less than two hours from where I live, I popped down to Düsseldorf today to see the Tour. Saw the caravan and riders pass through Neanderthal, then jumped in the car and whizzed round to the other side of Düsseldorf in time to see them again approaching Mönchengladbach. Got soaked on the long walk back to the car but it was worth it for the great atmosphere.
(not Dr.) Al

RailGooner

Froome went down in the roundabout pileup too. Lucky that there are no wounded from that one. Good to see Cavendish mixing it in the sprint.

njee20

Yeah, 4th's a strong result for Cav given his illness this season. Great to see Taylor Phinney riding so strong too given his history. Some reading for those who don't know.

Pleased Kittel got the win too, he's in my Fantasy TDF team!

Newportnobby

Quote from: cycletrak9 on July 02, 2017, 06:15:25 PM

After the massive pile up in today's stage with 25km to go to the finish you see what I mean about keeping out of trouble.

I thought for one awful moment I'd jinxed Froome but glad, apart from a bit of skin lost, he and the others are all OK :sweat:
Not sure the pack deserved to catch the breakaway this time as they just didn't seem to get their act together and it would have been a good kick up the rear if they hadn't.

mr magnolia

I'm always astonished by these guys just getting up and getting on with it after a big crash. It's not like that for me!
Donald

njee20

It's not always in their best interest to:

Agree with NN the chase today was impressively disorganised. Even with 500m to go there were no obvious lead out trains. Lucky there wasn't another crash really.

Newportnobby

And then all hell broke loose! :o
I'm no great fan of Peter Sagan (his grandstanding the previous day almost cost him his stage victory) but I still remain unconvinced he deliberately elbowed Mark Cavendish into the fence. They were both leaning on each other, certainly, and elbows were out but that's par for the course in final sprints. Sadly that's the end of this year's race for Cav and I'll be interested to see the results of Sagan's appeal against his disqualification :hmmm:

njee20

Bit harsh, Sagan pulled his foot out of his pedal when starting his sprint, not sure there was any "grandstanding", he was looking around, but that's only shrewd, you don't want to get caught off guard by someone starting a long sprint.

As for yesterday it was definitely Sagan's fault, but it was another chaotic sprint, I definitely think the elbow was more to steady himself once the contact had already happened. The 80 point sanction was sufficient reprimand, disqualification was a gross overreaction I think. Speaking as a big Cavendish fan. Sagan was unlucky that Cav was in the bit of road he was hoping to occupy. There were worse transgressions in that final kilometre that have gone unpunished. Chris Boardman summed it up nicely when he said they're punishing consequences, not actions.

People wavering off line whilst sprinting is nothing new, they're all head down going hell for leather, a bit of jostling is bound to happen. Look up Abdoujaparov's Champs Elysee crash from many years ago, he was lucky he only took himself out!

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on July 05, 2017, 10:14:52 AM
Bit harsh, Sagan pulled his foot out of his pedal when starting his sprint, not sure there was any "grandstanding", he was looking around, but that's only shrewd, you don't want to get caught off guard by someone starting a long sprint.

He recovered well from the pedal incident but, to me, slowing up and looking round as if to say "Come on then" to the others was grandstanding and not something he needs to do as he's better than that.
Just the way I saw it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations