What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickd247 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

dumbo

My father who sadly  died very young was a guard on the old LMS system around the Notttinghamshire Coalfield. I've always hankered to reproduce his working environment and so far have built the boards, aquired a Jinty, 4F and diesel shunter to work the colliery sidings/power station/depot and collliery village station. My main problem will be wiring it all up as I must confess that even the most 'basic' how to's leave me slightly baffled. No doubt it will resolve in time.

austinbob

Welcome to the forum and what a nice project. Wiring should be straightforward using an almost infinite cache of expertise and help from. The forum. Good luck with your layout and keep us posted on progress. Pictures are always welcome.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Hi Dumbo, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Electrickery is a black art I have never managed to master which has resulted in all my attempted layouts never reaching anything serious. There are many elements of DC control I struggle with so that, and my large amount of stock with no chips, precludes me even going to DCC.
There are some very clever people on this forum who can help though.

RailGooner

Sloughstation

I know the feeling mate, when it comes to the wiring, but it will get easier... Stick at it! Best of luck! :confused2: :hmmm:

port perran

Welcome aboard Dumbo.
I'm a complete dunce where electrickery is concerned. All I can say is that a very acceptable layout can be operatedwith the very minimum of wiring.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jaguar68

I'm building up a collection of Locos from the period of nationalisation in '47 to privatisation. Loosely based around the Hither Green TMD, with a few visitors.

The layout is region free and able to run a few steam Locos to represent preservation although I would also like to incorporate a nuclear loading siding to add a little spice to the freight running.

John

Mr. Germanman

So much to do,

Ii try to reorganize my collection, some of my collection i have sold on E-bay
over the last few weeks ( to old and not so detailed ),
now i concentrate to fit my locos with dcc decoders.
No problem if the locos are equipped with a 6pin socket.
But i have some shunting diesel class 03, 04, and a class14 diesel  were i must soldering
the decoder, that looks very fiddly and i hate soldering.
So the planning of a little layout must wait until all my locos are convert to dcc.

Good night.
Michael
Better a small and ugly Layout as no Modelrailway

Ted

Just started work on planning my set piece TMD, as it's my first I'm keeping it small as a scene at around 4x3ft.

A few sidings either side of the main lines with sheds and service related paraphernalia.

Oiled up and heavily distressed, with a mix of diesels rumbling around. Era8/9 mix.
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

DarrwestLU6

This will make you laugh :D - by popular request of my boys when I started it a few years ago, a fictional layout based on King's Cross to Hogsmeade, with a very limited model of Hogwart castle (lots of low relief).

It's really just an excuse for me to get back into modelling and try lots of things out - so it has a bit of Kings Cross (will model four platforms and half a canopy), so I get to run long trains, a fabulous viaduct (which is a helix) as in the films, leading to a branch terminus (Hogsmeade). Plus goods sidings, a quarry, and a nice set of hidden sidings/fiddle yard at the back so I can bring out long trains, behind a long fake hill. Here's an early photo showing my plans that I've touched up!

More in due course!

Challenges: I know have to make the layout folding - so it disappears against the wall - see my other post: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42121.msg523425#msg523425

As it's King's Cross and steam I can run it about 1950's/1960's so do steam and diesel (LNER and early BR). And I love LMS too so we'll do a bit of LMS in there, just will assume it's a joint line to Hogwarts. Shame I have no room to model St.Pancras without taking over the entire hallway! 

Question - does anyone know any body kits for a Hogwarts Express in N? Or has anyone modelled Kings Cross (even cut down)?

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Newportnobby

Would I be correct in assuming one of the platforms will be numbered 9¾? :D

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 21, 2018, 09:51:53 PM
Would I be correct in assuming one of the platforms will be numbered 9¾? :D

Oh yes! Obligatory!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

mpickup

Hi Tank and All,

My first ever post, having no previous experience of Forums. I'm currently building my first ever "proper" layout ie: not on the floor! It's LMS based and my first try in N Gauge. It all started with taking my now 36 year old youngest to Pecorama  nearly 30 years ago. About 5 years ago he bought me a small N Gauge set for Christmas and added a TMC weathered Tornado the following year. I had to have a go!

Having adapted part of the loft, I started building the baseboard and began the design and track laying close together. I'm going for DCC as I can remember Triang locos moving unexpectedly when I was a kid.It seemed a good idea which seems to be the case and for the first time I've electrified the points which given the growth of the layout is essential.

Unfortunately I keep thinking of other ideas and the table has had at least 3 extensions to form a wider L-shape with a still theoretical Fiddle Yard. The point work has become increasingly complicated but at least it's all running, at last! Currently there's a complete lack of scenery, but it as getting closer, a few card buildings done and a few more ideas. I have to admit it's been quite hard to get used to the wiring, particularly crossings, and with my more senior eye-sight I sometimes wonder if O Gauge might not have been more sensible!

I'm glad to have found the Forum and must spend more time reading it!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations