!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tre Pol & Pen (formerly Bodmin & Padstow) (1st layout by beginner)  (Read 439 times)

Offline OleOz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Following comments on Bodmin and Padstow (all helpful) I have now gone through 10 versions of Tre Pol & Pen. This is a completely fictitious layout loosely based on the sort of situation you might find at, say, St Blazey. A rural station on a through main line in relatively sparsely populated hilly country to a terminus, and serving a small dead end branch. Period is BR Western Region about 1960.
The main line is single track, as is the branch.
Trains will comprise loco+2 carriages, or loco+4 or 5 wagons and brake van.
The baseboard will be 1500mmx900mm expanded polystyrene, construction grade 75mm thick. Raised sections will be on trimmed down pieces of the same material fixed to the base. At the Tre side, the non-visible back edge will be hollowed out to give access to hidden track
Levels will be darker purple -20mm (cannot be shown as such by SCARM but is possible by cutting into base), green 0mm, light blue 30mm and yellow 50mm. While I have been mindful of necessary vertical clearances these have led to some fairly steep gradients, which are arguably typical of Cornish lines. Noting Newport Nobby's previous comments care has been taken with gradients to avoid rack & pinion working!
Electrically control will be by 2 controllers to allow 2 trains to run simultaneously. Track will be broken down into smaller sections by insulating fishplates and switches. Points will be Peco Code 80 Insulfrog. All track will be Peco Code 80, mostly Flexitrack.
Primary interest is in operating trains rather than exhibition quality layout and scenery.
Any comments, hints, tips welcomed.

Online jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
Re: Tre Pol & Pen (formerly Bodmin & Padstow) (1st layout by beginner)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:08:29 am »
A lot of people are guilty of this (myself included!) but I think you're trying to squeeze far too much into a small area.
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:14 am »
A lot of people are guilty of this (myself included!) but I think you're trying to squeeze far too much into a small area.

Sorry, but I have to agree. 3 stations in a 5ft x 3ft area is definitely going to look crowded.
Is there any reason why you have opted for insulfrog points?

Online dodger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12791
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »
I have to agree with the others. Do you really need such large loco facilities at small stations?

Dodger

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:39 pm »
My apologies for having missed this thread starting earlier. I like the name. BR in Cornwall in the 1960s is definitely a favourite period of mine. However, I also have to agree that less is more and only one set of loco. facilities would be enough; logically, at the terminus. In the diesel era they would be pretty basic: a fuelling point, a covered area for light servicing, either a newly built corrugated sheet construction or a rebuilt steam era shed like at Worcester or Gloucester, perhaps, or Exeter, but smaller?

Offline OleOz

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:03:23 am »
Not sure whether I have replied to any posts as during January up to armpits in major household downsize & removal (still not completely resettled). So thanks to all of you. Your constructive comments (even if the general thread was definitely what I did not WANT to hear. Basically for me operating is much the dominant interest rather than scenery and reality. Currently still only conceptual. Once I move to physical I strongly suspect your comments will force their effects on me. Thanks again

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:11 am »
Very good to read an update. I hope you'll be able to settle down after the house move. (Having moved a lot from the 1970s to 1990s, I know what you must be going through.)
How about modelling Bodmin Road and Bodmin General or usimg them as inspiration as they will give you s lot of what you wanted? Bodmin General could be compressed in length and has a road overbridge as a scenic break. It has a small loco. shed, goods shed, a couple of sidings and a small terminus. Bodmin Road gives you the WR mainline a branchline and sidings.

Offline OleOz

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:26 am »
Thanks for your comments Chris. I will have a look at the concept. can you point me in the direction of sources for track layout etc for Bodmin General and Bodmin road? If this looks a goer of course it will need many more hours of SCARM work!
Thanks again for your thoughts

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything