!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction  (Read 78793 times)

PeterA and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1605 on: July 15, 2017, 02:54:42 pm »
Great to see you back in action Andrew.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1606 on: July 15, 2017, 11:14:15 pm »
 :hellosign: Really good to hear you are on up Andrew  :greatpicturessign: thanks for sharing
         regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1607 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:22 am »

D2309 seen here in Perthsire after it's epic journey from the SW

I had this photo in my photo files, and when it popped up on my screensaver, it gave me an idea

I didn't want to carve up any of the HST body shells I had (seem to have collected half a dozen pairs over the years!) ... but luckily I had a spare Del Prado model that I could chop up.  Can't decide whether to deem this the cab post restoration or try and recreate the damage sustained tby the accident.......  :hmmm:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1608 on: July 16, 2017, 07:21:03 am »
Thanks for the updates, Andrew. Very good to see that D2309 arrived safely. All at Cant Cove will be very pleased. The HST cab is on a very weathered Conflat. I have a spare one I can send with other models.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1609 on: July 16, 2017, 08:07:04 am »
Thanks Chris, your right about the wagon, I just grabbed a flatbed that was to hand for the photo - I have a few spare conflats that I can weather up to match the photo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1610 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:34 am »
Started to lay one of the lines that will cross the River Osc - this one being the (fictional) Dunning - Crieff line built by the influential fruit growers of Dunning to circumnavigate the bottleneck at Crieff Junction (later renamed Gleneagles) - this was a senstive subject in the area. the original survey of the area favoured Dunning as the location for the line to Crieff, but lobbying by influential figures, both locally & in parliament, saw the location of the junction moved to Auchterarder.  The main outlet for the fruit growers was the newly opened "Strathearn Hydropathic Establishment Company" - widely known as Crieff Hydro.  With the opening of the Crief Junction Railway in 1856, the fruit growers grew increasingly frustrated with the delays that were being faced, with their produce frequently getting spoiled - so much so they financed their own branchline which opened in 1858.

The significance for the layout build of this is that I finally have a link between Fiddle Yard 2 and the rest of the layout  :claphappy:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1611 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:51 am »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. The tracklaying and scenic work are both progressing very well. I thought you might have a suitable Conflat spare. I have a surplus of them in various liveries. I would keep the HST cab as a restored spare fitted out for driver training but now used as a visitor attraction!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1612 on: July 17, 2017, 11:11:41 am »
The Cornish branches of the GWS are very pleased to pearn that their Scottish friends have purchased some BR Lined Maroon Collett and Gresley design coaches for use on enthusiast specials in Perthshire and cross country to North and West Cornwall. They wonder which GWR design locos. will haul them?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1613 on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:53 am »
Thanks Chris, that is a good idea re:- HST Cab, or I do something similar to the Mallard Experience at York!

Attempted my first DCC chipping on GF DCC ready Class 20 diesel 20192, after a lot of huffing and puffing, plus some muttering about how difficult it was to get the body off.... turned out to be relatively straight forward!  The cab is removable.... I did find it very tricky to get the chip in, as it slides into a recess along the top of the bonnet... the chip I was using was a bit shorter than the blanking plate.  My ongoing challenge is to find a partner for it - I have a second one, an older GF one, but I don't think it is DCC compatible, my search for a spares & repair has been largely fruitless, am reluctant to strip the motor out as it is a reasonable runner for it's age and seems a shame to decommission it (maybe I need to adopt some of the blind ruthlessness that drove BR in the 60's!) but I am creeping down that road.  Though maybe the simple answer is to sell it and put the funds towards a new DCC ready one!

A rake of Grampus ballast wagons sit waiting to carry out the next ballasting operation

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1614 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:56 am »
I decided a to start a wee project that involves a few Mk 3 coaches, got a small job lot off Ebay

First job was to take back the shell to base plastic, combination of IPA. nail varnish removal pads & elbow grease!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1615 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
I decided a to start a wee project that involves a few Mk 3 coaches, got a small job lot off Ebay

First job was to take back the shell to base plastic, combination of IPA. nail varnish removal pads & elbow grease!

Sounds intriguing, Andrew. BR Scotrail livery? 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1616 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:41 pm »
Thanks Chris, more or less the same era, but not Scotrail ... all will be revealed in a couple of days :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1617 on: July 20, 2017, 06:46:34 am »
After a lot more rubbing and elbow grease, got the shell back to its base

I was determined to start progressing the main line, so I have a continuous loop that gives me the fun of just watching the trains go by, the starting point was to get the levels set, as it needs to gain some height up round the back of the layout

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1618 on: July 20, 2017, 04:37:02 pm »
It's going to be a mobile aquarium. (with live fish)  :claphappy:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1619 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »
he he, just like the ones in the Pocket Trains App  :)   no need to fish for clues, all will be revealed tomorrow  :-X

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here