Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

unfortunately this iPad on my lap is connected to some mysterious force that channels various packages directly to my door!

My laptop does that - must have the same fault  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

colpatben

Just seen my estranged Fathers empty house in a Cornish village on rightmove. Not sure how I feel as I know the will named a charity as the benificiary.
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on November 25, 2016, 06:07:42 PM
Despite my best laid plans it seems I will be unable to attend my first Warley show this weekend due to very poor health of late.

Hope you're feeling more chipper very soon, Mike.

Quote from: colpatben on November 25, 2016, 08:10:44 PM
Just seen my estranged Fathers empty house in a Cornish village on rightmove. Not sure how I feel as I know the will named a charity as the benificiary.

That's got to have created a wide range of emotions, Colin.

railsquid

So... when I win the EuroMegaBallBillion lottery or whatever (note to self: buy tickets) I will employ some mad scientist types to build me a time machine and I will go back to the 1960s and personally hunt down all N gauge manufacturers and forcibly force them to use a Single Standardized Coupling Socket. They can stick with the Arnold coupler,or go with some weird proprietary design, as long as it can be pulled out and replaced by another arbitrary type, and that without having to dismantle the locomotive/power car chassis.   >:D

daffy

Quote from: railsquid on January 14, 2017, 05:59:54 PM
So... when I win the EuroMegaBallBillion lottery or whatever (note to self: buy tickets) I will employ some mad scientist types to build me a time machine and I will go back to the 1960s and personally hunt down all N gauge manufacturers and forcibly force them to use a Single Standardized Coupling Socket. They can stick with the Arnold coupler,or go with some weird proprietary design, as long as it can be pulled out and replaced by another arbitrary type, and that without having to dismantle the locomotive/power car chassis.   >:D

Oddly I was talking to my good lady this very morning about the lack of clarity, for me at least, of what couplers are out there, what's compatible with what, and what's good and what's bad, how they are each mounted, and why on Earth are there so many different types?

Okay, so the answer to the last one is pretty obvious, but I can't help but hanker after a thread on here penned by a knowledgeable set of individuals who can set the current situation straight.

As a newcomer to N, I have recently bought a few trains from Kato and Fleischmann (and a Tomix track Cleaning car) and already there are 4 different coupling types to contend with. And as for understanding what NEM pocket types there are, and all the other couplers that may fall into my possession over the coming years, I am, as with many things these days, confused.

There are some posts on this forum on the subject, but a dedicated and comprehensive thread would be an asset.

Any takers? It would make me and I'm sure many others, very happy.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

Quote from: daffy on January 14, 2017, 10:48:01 PM
Quote from: railsquid on January 14, 2017, 05:59:54 PM

Oddly I was talking to my good lady this very morning about the lack of clarity, for me at least, of what couplers are out there, what's compatible with what, and what's good and what's bad, how they are each mounted, and why on Earth are there so many different types?

Okay, so the answer to the last one is pretty obvious, but I can't help but hanker after a thread on here penned by a knowledgeable set of individuals who can set the current situation straight.

As a newcomer to N, I have recently bought a few trains from Kato and Fleischmann (and a Tomix track Cleaning car) and already there are 4 different coupling types to contend with. And as for understanding what NEM pocket types there are, and all the other couplers that may fall into my possession over the coming years, I am, as with many things these days, confused.

There are some posts on this forum on the subject, but a dedicated and comprehensive thread would be an asset.

Any takers? It would make me and I'm sure many others, very happy.
I think there was an article on the subject in the NGS journal not so long ago, but I suspect it wasn't comprehensive. I'm just waking up to the wide range of coupling types Kato in particular makes use of. I discovered one of my locos needs a type I'd never seen before, luckily it's not a problem to get hold of the parts here.

daffy

It's after 2:30 in the morning and I'm still awake - again! :( The prospect is, if all goes according to form, that I shall still be awake as the big hand is on the 12 and the little one is between 5 and 6. :(
In the interim I shall be, in turns, jumpy, exhausted, shattered, half-dead and going out of my mind.
Then, at last I shall go to sleep, not to wake again until at least an hour later! :(

Such has been my nightly joy now for months, with few respites, as the drugs I have to take to control the asthma that originated back in April continue to demonstrate their intolerance to me.

I put it that way because it makes me feel better, but in truth it's this damned body of mine that is the villain of the peace. I've got more intolerances than I care to mention, and this is just the latest. Doc's had me on more variations on a theme of asthma control than I can accurately recall, and though the asthma doesn't bother me much at all now (unless I stop taking the drugs), the drugs do!

So it'll be back to the Doc next week for yet another review and a request to come off the steroids - it's them at the root of this - and try the non-steroidal approach. But they are none too effective, it seems, and have their own group of side effects that will probably......................... :(

Ah well, at least it's peaceful here - except for the idiot tapping his fingers on an iPad screen. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

hope you can drift.of soon   Had a few rounds of heavy.duty insomnia myself  , never fun.

Early afternoon hete in Tokyo so wide awake of course.

Newportnobby

Very sorry to hear that, Mike, and hope things improve for you very soon.
I tend to find watching snooker or darts has the desired effect but don't think it will do for you :no:

Bealman

There's always the Australian open tennis which Mrs B puts on....  :sleep:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Quote from: Bealman on January 20, 2017, 11:32:46 AM
There's always the Australian open tennis which Mrs B puts on....  :sleep:

Have you never considered that she puts it on for just that reason? :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

NinOz

My e-bay account has been hacked and hijacked. >:(
13 items were listed for sale, i-phones etc around US$600 each.  They were listed on 25/1/17 for ending in about a week but half "sold" within 2 days.  Now two buyers have start requests for refunds.

Contacted e-bay who blocked any money transfers, reset my account balance to zero, reset my password, removed the listings.  Stated that they will take care of correspondence arising and I am not responsible for any transactions.
Now just going through the long process of changing passwords to something new I am sure to forget. :(

Haven't a clue how my account was compromised. ???

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

daffy

That's awful.

And though eBay have picked up the reigns of the problem and cleaned your account, have they kept your good seller status intact? Hope so.

I doubt you will ever know just how this has happened, but if it happens to banks and large corporations with their protective systems etc, what chance is there that individuals can counter the determined hacker?

Here's hoping you can get back to normal as soon as possible.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

It's always a shock when something like this happens as it's a violation.
I hope everything gets back to normal for you very soon.

NinOz

This getting old trip is very depressing.
Made a PCB for 4 CT current sensors as test prototype board unit works fine, then decided I also need a couple of PCBs with only 2 current sensors on each.  So run Eagle and delete 2 sensors of components.  Make a couple of the 2 sensor boards, populate one and test.  Doesn't work.
Try to see what I did wrong, an hour later realise that the comparator chip has been wired for inputs 3 & 4 but the outputs are for 1 & 2.  :'(  Some copper track cutting and some jumper wires and IT WORKS.  OK back to Eagle to fix the errors.

Decided to make some PCBs for my arduino to Loconet circuit.  Prototyping board ones work fine but I need about 20 so PCB it is.  Trusty Eagle out again, make PCB design, print, etch, drill, tin, and populate.  Doesn't work! ???  Can set board addresses but it won't respond to DCC requests.
Found the problem, had hooked the comparator inputs the wrong way around.  Just need to cut some tracks, move a resistor, add two wire jumpers.  Cut out the 22K resistor rather than the 220K resistor, arrrrgh.  :laugh3:

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations