Where are the model shops

Started by Beans39, December 29, 2016, 10:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old misery guts

I can agree, Tenants trains are now under new ownership, but still worth a browse. they will always try to sort you out. I have used Modellers Mecca in Kingswinford, who were well stocked but not sure what happened to the guy who was really helpful, but the shop space is now about a quarter of what it was & seems to be run by a young lady, but sadly the main business seems to be via www & mail order. Nothing really to rummage through, great shame! I will be trying Mike's Models to see what they have, used them years ago for model aircraft & they were excellent. Will let you know. happy New Year to you all & lets hope 2017 is better than 2016!
Regards Chris

D1042 Western Princess

On the subject of model shops a couple of days before Christmas I called in at Richard's model shop in Yatton, Somerset, only to find it nearly cleaned out and the lady working there telling me it will close very soon and the business transferred to somewhere else in the county (Clevedon, I think) where they have taken over a new shop.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Rabbitaway

Now here is an odd thing these days, a town with three old school model shops

I travel a lot on business and worked in Grimsby for a few days in December and as usual I investigate if there are any local model shops

I visited a very traditional shop called D Hewins down an ally and under a barbers. Noted that all stock had 20% off but sadly this is because the owner had passed away. I bought a few coaches and wished the lady well (his widow). She did say that the shop is likely to be closed by the middle of this January. Such a shame to see a traditional shop end in this way.

There is another shop near the station called Hobby Central and this is a mixed toy and model shop with reasonable stock and again very traditional

The third shop The Grimsby Model Centre does not sell model railways but does radio control and kits but is still very old school

I do have to own up to spending very little in the shops I visit because as a general rule everything is at full RRP and just too expensive compared to the box shifters. I suppose the reason I visit these types of shops is to bring back the memory the local model shops of my younger years!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations