Powerbase from DCC Concepts

Started by ScottyStitch, December 18, 2013, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

Quote from: DCCDave on December 30, 2013, 04:22:36 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 30, 2013, 03:52:53 PM
So there you have it.

Unfortunately nowhere on the Value Pack nor on Hattons website is there mention of the fact that there are different sized magnets for different applications.

You have more patience than I, I'd be sending it back as 'not fit for purpose'.

After your perseverance I hope this works out well for you.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

Trust me, if it had been anything else I would have given up. But I really want the helix to work with my ten coach trains so I'll explore as many avenues as I can. I didn't believe an outfit like DCC Concepts would bring a product to market without ensuring it works and so I took them to task. So fingers crossed!

Scotty

ScottyStitch

Quote from: edwin_m on December 30, 2013, 04:32:38 PM
I guess there are plenty of suppliers of small magnets who put their catalogues on the net, and particularly if you need lots of the same size this might be a better option than buying an assortment most of which may be of no use.

Part of the Powerbase splurge is that these magnets are more powerful than standard Neo magnets. I don't know how much of that is hype, but I'll see if the concept works first and if it does I'll experiment with other devices.

ScottyStitch

Just thought I'd post a wee up-date.

I had ordered a set of mini-magnets from Gaugemaster (DCC Concepts' UK Reps) but unfortunately they are out of stock. Therefore I'm still in limbo with regard to whether my helix will work in with the layout.

It's a waiting game, but then it gives me more time to do more research on the layout, and that's always an enjoyable thing.

ScottyStitch

As I mentioned on my planning thread, I received the mini-magnets from Gaugemaster.

Long story short, Powerbase with 4 of the best fitting magnets made no difference to the haulage power of my WD 2-8-0, the worst performer in an incline that I have.

As it turns out I think i can get pretty much get what I want from a helix at 1 in 100, with a 2inch left per revolution. If need be I'll bank or double head any engines that struggle.

So the upshot is, I'm abandoning Powerbase.

Just thought I'd update for anyone interested.

Steve.T

That's a big shame as after reading the write ups they got in most magazines it sounded too good to be true.

Oh, it was !  :confused1: :doh:

But thanks for all the info provided  :beers:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

stevieboy

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, but have you fed this back to DCC Concepts?

ScottyStitch

:beers:
Quote from: stevieboy on January 28, 2014, 09:13:34 AM
Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, but have you fed this back to DCC Concepts?

Yes I have fed my findings to DCC Concepts. And I am still to experiment with the largest magnets in the pack, although I don't think they will clear point work due to their size, so it's a moot point, but I'm just curious.

I have noticed that the only videos I've seen of it on action is on OO models, I don't know I'd that is significant or not, but I've never seen a practical example
of it in N. I'm sure it will work in certain situations, just not mine with the WD.

Either way, it doesn't look like I'll strictly need it for what I want.

stevieboy

Superb, whilst not for me, this system has it's uses and I'm sure DCC will look into it if it's notso good for N.

ParkeNd

Quote from: ScottyStitch on January 27, 2014, 08:38:25 PM
As I mentioned on my planning thread, I received the mini-magnets from Gaugemaster.

Long story short, Powerbase with 4 of the best fitting magnets made no difference to the haulage power of my WD 2-8-0, the worst performer in an incline that I have.

As it turns out I think i can get pretty much get what I want from a helix at 1 in 100, with a 2inch left per revolution. If need be I'll bank or double head any engines that struggle.

Disappointing Scotty after all the effort and the waiting.

Did it make any improvement on a not so big incline? Maybe your requirements are too much for any gizmo.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 28, 2014, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on January 27, 2014, 08:38:25 PM

Disappointing Scotty after all the effort and the waiting.

Did it make any improvement on a not so big incline? Maybe your requirements are too much for any gizmo.

The inclines I tested were 1 in 89 and 1 in 100 with similar results. The videos from dcc concepts show OO on inclines of 1 in 30, but you may be right maybe it's still to much for N. Having said that, nearly everything I have can pull ten coaches (albeit blue riband) anyway so no need for power base in any case?

I had hoped to use it to increase the incline ratio, just to save track and space but it's no great hardship, I'm grateful that I have the space for the bigger helix in any case.

I may be wrong, and maybe someone else will try it with different results, and I'd be delighted to be corrected...........

As I say I'll try it again with another (too big) set of magnets at some point.

LAandNQFan

Here's a reply from Rand Cooley to my query about whether the problems with GWR tank engines had been sorted out...

"There has been some speculation arising about the usability of the magnets on N scale locos and from what we can see it is mainly people who are unwilling to modify their locos or get the accessory magnet pack that includes various magnet sizes. The ones we include with the plates are just a standard magnet size but seeing that all locos are different depending on the loco type and manufacture so we can't make one magnet fit all. Saying this we have fitted magnets to a Hall class, 08 class, Jinty and many others which in some cases involves cutting out a gap in the brake rodding and using thinner magnets super glued to the underside of the base plate.
"You can get our extreme magnet pack for the N scale locos and try and see what works and then get more from places like Super magnet man in the US which sells similar magnets sizes but you can buy then in bulk amount of specific sizes.
"We will be making videos soon showing more on the installation of the magnets for a good range of locos to visually show how we do it and enabling people to see better how it can be done."
:hmmm: 
Yes, I could spend pounds on the bases and on the extreme magnet pack, but not until I know that it will work with my locos!  Let's see what the videos show.
David
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

ScottyStitch

I think it's also a bit rich, considering the advertising splurge saying you don't need to modify the locomotives. Am I going to cut up my WD to fit a bigger magnet to find that it still might not work? Or the bigger magnet interferes with the motor? No.

As far as I'm concerned, in N Gauge, it's not fit for purpose.

TrevL

Hi, having read through this 2 to 3 year old thread, I'm wondering if the problems have been resolved with this system?  Has anyone on here used it successfully or is it still not recommended? TIA.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

njee20

Mmm, guess no updates.

Tempted to give it a go myself with some 1mm thick magnets. I've got a hidden gradient which most stuff can get up, but not the longer trains. As they're all modern they've got whopping great fuel tanks to attach magnets to. Dapol 66s are the worst.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations