Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE44 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

swisstony

Another of my shrewd under £25 Evil Bay purchases...

Wouldn't run it said in the listing, removed mass of "Hair of a dubious type" from around the main bogey gear and she now runs perfectly :)

scotsoft

Well done and a very clean looking loco  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Skyline2uk

:claphappy:

Well done on the bargain find, and its 66135, the very loco who's (similar sounding, but grit not hair, dubious or otherwise) problem I sorted myself and made me think I could get cheap locos by being happy to fix them  :D

Not done it yet, but your find shows there are bargains to be had.

Skyline2uk

Bealman

Yep, very clean looking loco. Certainly in good nick bodywise, and from your post, running well also! Thing with me is, I've never used E Bay before and don't know how to work it. Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm actually a bit scared of it!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

swisstony

I've bought some Duds off ebay, but all my 90's/00's era stock has been purchased that way, only one real dud which is now static minus its decoder which was worth the cost i paid anyway.

lil chris

Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Bealman

kiwi1941

Quote from: Phil Hendry on April 03, 2013, 10:27:14 PM
This was quite cheap

I bought one of these locally in New Zealand at about NZ$120 = £60 and it's an absolute boon. Comes highly recommended by me. Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Sprintex

Quote from: bluedepot on March 23, 2013, 06:01:50 PM
paul - do you have an hst power car you are going to fit with buffers and paint yellow at the end?

tim

If you still remember why you asked me this two weeks ago, the answer as of 5 minutes ago on eBay is "yes" ;)

In fact, I now have all the coaches I need, and the vinyls thanks to Adam at Electra :thumbsup: to create this in case anyone's forgotten :D :-

Front view:

Rear view:

Just need to find the time to actually build the thing now!  ::)

Paul

surfaceman

Just purchased from Union Mills this week :

ex-LSWR Drummond T9 - SR No. 304 :

And Colin Heard's latest release :

ex-LSWR Adams 395 Class - SR No. 3441 :

The prototype for this was shedded at Salisbury from ( at least ) 1939 to 1948 ( my layout period ) and this model certainly captures the "look and feel" of the original. The model is well finished with a very nice matt black paint job and neat lettering.

What detail the model has is crisp but detailing is not up to current Dapol/Farish standards - more like Farish from the Poole era. If detailing is your thing, then it is certainly possible to add detail to the model - there was an excellent article on Union Mills locos in "N'spirations 2" which included tips on improving the models ( maybe "H" could help if you don't have that issue? ). I haven't detailed my UM stock but it is on the "to do" list, as is converting my 2P to an ex SE&CR D1.

As a modeller, my primary interest lies in "operating" so what matters most to me is not super-detail but rather how well a model fits my location/period and how well it performs. No issues here, as the Adams fits right in and runs very well indeed.

Using a Morley Vesta controller, I had the loco crawling along at scale walking speed ( with a sensible load of 15 of goods ), responsiveness to the controller was good and the top speed was higher than I'll ever need in operational use! Adding stock, I ended up with 35 of goods and 7 bogie vehicles behind the tender ( all I had available ) but the loco just walked away with them.

All my UM locos have been 100% reliable in the 3 years since I got the first ( the "395" is number 7 ) and I don't expect this model to be any different. Given the quality of the engineering, I expect they will still be going strong many years from now.

Try one ( Rule 1 justifies ) just to experience the quality and the pulling power.

Usual disclaimer : no connection with Union Mills ( or Morley ), just a very satisfied customer.

Alex

Bealman

Alex - yeah, as you say, the detailing is a bit crude, but the UM stuff are good little performers. I have never owned any myself but know a couple of people who do, and they have never had any probs.

Paul - I haven't forgotten your project! Just out of curiousity, do you know what station that is in the photo?

George

Sprintex

Quote from: bealman on April 07, 2013, 10:33:21 PM
Paul - I haven't forgotten your project! Just out of curiousity, do you know what station that is in the photo?

George

Well it was Adam that posted the photo originally so I could be wrong, but to me it looks very much like Stevenage ;)

Paul

swisstony

Quote from: Sprintex on April 07, 2013, 10:36:47 PM
Quote from: bealman on April 07, 2013, 10:33:21 PM

George

Well it was Adam that posted the photo originally so I could be wrong, but to me it looks very much like Stevenage ;)

Paul

SECONDED!! :)

Bealman

bluedepot

be sure to post the pictures of the power car on here then sprintex!  do you have to add the butters as well?

tim

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations