Google account

Started by Newportnobby, August 17, 2018, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I've had a mail to my Yahoo address from no-reply@accounts.google.com telling me

Hi Mick,
The password for your Google Account mick.hollyoake@yahoo.co.uk was recently changed.

Don't recognize this activity?
Click here for more information on how to recover your account.
The Google Accounts team

I don't ever recall signing up for a Google account ???

Any clues as to what action, if any, I should take please?

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

I can never remember who owns what with these big firms these days (is there an association between yahoo mail and google?)  If in any doubt then treat as a scam/phishing email.

The bottom line, have you changed your password?  If you did then this may be a genuine notification, if not then someone may have got in, but in any case the safe approach is NEVER to follow links sent in emails even if you think it may be genuine.  If you want to check it still works with the password you know, go and type the correct web address into the browser yourself and log on that way to access your account.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

cjdodd

go to www.google.co.uk and click sign in, sign in with your yahoo address, if it recognises it then you have a Google account under that address. If not then you can ignore it.

If it does say you have an account then I'd recommend you reset the password.

Malc

If the sender is genuine, when you click on reply, you should see the actual account that sent the mail in the "to" field. It's fairly easy to spoof a senders from address, but the reply option usually reveals the actual address. In any case, delete the message afterwards and never click on the "click here" button.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest6107

I received one of these. Obviously fake as I have neither google nor yahoo accounts - unless someone has set one up, in which case, too bad.
Deleted.

Newportnobby

Quote from: cjdodd on August 17, 2018, 12:09:14 PM
go to www.google.co.uk and click sign in, sign in with your yahoo address, if it recognises it then you have a Google account under that address. If not then you can ignore it.

If it does say you have an account then I'd recommend you reset the password.

Tried that and it recognised my yahoo address (which it would probably do even if I didn't have an account) and asked for my password which I obviously don't know. Having hit 'forgotten password' they sent me a verification number but I couldn't find anywhere to use it :confused2:
Have given up and deleted both mails.
If summat happens, it happens.

Thanks all for responding :thumbsup:

Caz

Do you have an Android phone Mick as that often forces the set up of a Google account to get it working.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on August 18, 2018, 07:33:59 PM
Do you have an Android phone

Qué? I don't have a smart phone as (a) I'm not smart enough to use one and (b) the signal where I live is rubbish. Orange + Vodaphone wanted to put a tower up locally but the council vetoed it.

Mr Sprue

Hi Mick the address @accounts.google.com is kosher. So did you open the email?

If so in the header you would see From: and To: What was the address that sent the email?

Newportnobby

Sorry, Dave, but I just can't remember :-[
The world hasn't ended yet, though :)

Bealman

It's 18 years since we survived the millenium bug  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Black Sheep

A few sites have been absorbed by google making any accounts on there into google accounts

Youtube for example was bought out a few years back.
Black Sheep's workbench, where models go to be made grubby or be taken apart: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57548.0

Milliedale-on-Sea, 1940's seaside splendour, if it ever gets finished! https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35646.0

Family layout project, Billund in L-9 scale :)  https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=59467

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations