Surplus stock

Started by BobB, August 19, 2018, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobB

We are preparing fora rather major move (emigrating from South Africa). Part of this is identifying rolling stock that is surplus and has to be disposed of. Having followed a doctrine of "nothing goes on the layout without some personalising" then disposal of anything becomes a bit personal. A colleague has purchased a couple of locomotives and has now agreed to buy two more, a weathered and populated Dapol 121 and a very heavily weathered Farish class 20.

The class 20 took ages to build up the weathering and although I think I'm getting a fair price for it as a product, of course the money does not compensate the time. On the other hand the 121 has been weathered slightly and then quite heavily populated. Again the price is fair but since there was not much work involved, for a "previously used" product the price is OK.

I suppose that disposal of stock is never easy but maybe on this occasion the money verses product is well balanced. Does not help me feeling a bit sad however !

Newportnobby

I'm sure it's bound to make you feel sad after you've put thought and time into your models, Bob.
Sadly that sort of effort is rarely recognised in price paid. For a good runner with a great paint job you might get somewhere near what you want but not everyone wants weathered stuff.
I wish you good luck with disposing of what you need to, and for your relocation.

Drakken

Most importantly good luck on your relocation  :beers:

I think for me I would keep the ones you've invested the most time into weither it be weathering or researching or mainly for me any gifts they hold a special meaning

I love a dirty diesel  :-[

daveg

Hope the move goes well.

Being on the wrong side of 70, I am aware that at some point my 'collection' will have to be sold or disposed of in some way.

I have a few factory weathered locos and coaches but I've restricted any personal attempts at weathering to wagons that as second hand items, aren't that valuable.

Agree with Drakken that perhaps you could keep the locos that are special to you.

Dave G

Bealman

Good luck with the big move!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tom U

Hope all goes well with the move and you quickly get settled in to the new place.
Having re-located internationally several times, I know how sadness inducing it can be to have to thin down the personal posessions to keep shipping costs reasonable.
Just look forward to the re-building  :)
Cheers,
Tom .

BobB

Just had the first of the removal firms in to measure and quote. The good news is that they will package the layout to protect it and there will be enough room in the container for all the collected stuff so now only have to sort out the paint and weathering stuff that's flammable ! Just have to worry about the price now !

Makes me feel very happy !

Bealman

That's great!  :thumbsup:

May I ask where you're moving to?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

BobB

Hi Bealman. We are moving to a small city called Saratov in Russia. The city is to the west of the Ural mountains so geographically it's in Europe but there is no chance of it becoming part of the EU. We decided on Saratov because we have family and friends there. We rejected the UK because of the un-welcome characteristics that are prevalent these days.

Newportnobby

Don't tell anyone else but things aren't so bad since we shipped Bealman off to Oz :no: :zippedmouth:

NinOz

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 20, 2018, 01:04:00 PM
Don't tell anyone else but things aren't so bad since we shipped Bealman off to Oz :no: :zippedmouth:
Your loss. :D
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations