Graffiti

Started by Merrylee, March 14, 2018, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merrylee

I've seen a few modern layouts with graffiti applied to walls, buildings and best of all the rolling stock.
I think it makes a rake of the same wagons unusual and different.

I fancy giving it a go and would practise on some plasticard first.

Any advice appreciated on where to buy, application, materials needed, etc etc.

Ron

dannyboy

I am not sure how to post a link to a particular thread, but if you search for -

Graffiti artists strike!

reply #6 seems to have some information which will be of use.  :thumbsup:

Ron - sorry, the reply #6 is more about weathering, (should have read it properly first  :-[).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

railsquid

Does anyone make any N-scale gibbets? I need some if I find any 1:148 rapscallions making a mess on my layout to make an example of them.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mustermark

I'm in the US, and Microscale and Blair Line decals are available here. Try a google search for 'n gauge grafitti decals' or do similar on eBay. There are lots around. Easy to do, too... I have done some and agree they are very effective on a rake of wagons or a dummy 66.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Bealman

There are some graffiti apps where you can type in what you want, and select the style and colours you want, too.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Intercity

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer on this topic, I personally don't really like the graffiti side of the railway scene, I know it is a prominent part of what we see everyday, but many layouts are seen, photographed and shared amongst our younger members of the hobby, I hate to be a part of showing off what is wrong and illegal (it may even encourage some to partake in tagging in real life), I prefer to see a highly detailed and weathered piece of rolling stock or abandoned building, does it mean I also don't like smashed windows in a building, no as those can also be done by weather conditions or demolition.

Each of course to their own, and for the topic on where to get decals I regularly see them pop up on eBay although they are the same ones/print outs each listing.

Bealman

I feel you have a good point there, to an extent. But I think that a young child at a model railway exhibition is hardly going to remember even being to it when they get to the age when they are capable of vandalising property.

If they do remember, then they're more likely to become law-abiding model railway enthusiasts!  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately if you model the modern scene and want realism on your layout, then it's part of the show.

The alternative is, of course, to model railways at the turn of the 20th century

My layout is based on the late fifties - early sixties, and I must admit I have graffiti on various walls and buildings around the layout. Just white paint, though..... not the multicoloured spray stuff we get today!

BobB

Well Mr Bealman, it may be an accurate depiction of the modern scene in Britain but in (my) corporate blue days it was a rare thing to see thank goodness. Does this come into the ambit of rule 1 ? Not only can the rolling stock be what we want, so can the cleanliness and orderliness of the scenery.

My OO layout is set in the 1960's and the Graffiti of that era (and through to the late 1970's) was generally white paint and Football related, from my memory of the time.
There were the odd "political" ones, and this is one I have to recreate at some time on my layout...

There was a similar one on Spring Road Viaduct in Ipswich as well. Not far from this example is a "Stop US War in Vietnam" one that can still be made out 50 years or so later, despite it being rapidly painted over at the time!

Bealman

Cool! I assume that refers to Radio Caroline?

Bob: I thought that was what I was saying?  ;)

Quote from: Bealman on March 15, 2018, 06:16:35 AM
Cool! I assume that refers to Radio Caroline?

Yes, that was painted in the mid 1960's and was still visible until the late 1980's (you could see it from Ipswich Station), when it got covered over by "modern" style graffiti.
It's amusing that I am typing this, 50 years+ on from when that was painted, with Radio Caroline playing on the radio here,  as they are now licenced to broadcast on 648khz to East Anglia!!

mickd247

To answer the OP check out Scalescene.com

They have a download graffiti sheet that you print onto transfer paper.  The download comes with a set of instructions.

HTH

:beers:

Mick

Other suppliers will be available online

daffy

DMToys in Germany show this range of N gauge graffiti from TL-Modellbau:

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/liste/items/L265588/search/Graffiti.html

I'm modelling Swiss railways, and if I wanted to be accurate I would need all of these, but in my model world nobody would spray graffiti cos the Creator would have them melted down and recycled as ballast.

Edit: manufacturers website has all sorts of nice decals:

https://tl-modellbau.de/TL-Decals-1-160-N

Another Edit: DMToys look to be stocking most if not all the TL range of decals, and prices seems to be cheaper per item:
https://www.en.dm-toys.de/liste/hersteller/TL-Decals.html
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40%