inherited some n gauge

Started by btp1956, February 23, 2018, 08:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btp1956

hello just a quick question
I use 00 gauge but have just inherited some n gauge form a member of the family who has passed
my question is can I use the power source I use for my 00 gauge to test the locos before I offer them for sale
I have a small amount of track but no power source I have a number of locos also wagons and coaches
kind regards brian to anybody who would answer this for me

ntpntpntp

Yes, OO and N use the same nominal 12V DC.  Fine for a quick check that stuff is alive! Unlikely to need to turn the knob up all the way though!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

btp1956

hi nick thank-you so much for your quick reply I will have a go at checking them tomorrow
I might offer them on the n'porium once checked out
kind regards brian

longbow

I'd use a low speed setting and start with a short dab of power just in case there's a problem - an OO controller may have a higher safety cut-out threshold than one built for N.   

Newportnobby

Wouldn't the better idea be to keep the N gauge and sell the 00? :D ;)

Just so you know, you will need to make 10 posts before you get access to the N'porium.
It's part of the  :NGF:

btp1956

cheers newportnobby
im interested in all locos so I will have a chat around the forums
I might be tempted to keep some
but I have a large collection of 00 gauge
thanks for your imput kind regards  brian

Newportnobby

I was just joshing really (or was I? :hmmm:)
It would be nice to keep a memento of your family member and think of all you could run in the same space as your 00.
So sorry the N gauge came to you like it did :(

CarriageShed

Quote from: newportnobby on February 23, 2018, 09:15:55 PM
It would be nice to keep a memento of your family member and think of all you could run in the same space as your 00.

That's a good point. Although I model N Gauge, I have an OO loco and wagon supplied from the collection of a now-gone family friend. I bought a small plinth and a bit of track and have it sitting on that on a shelf in the railway room.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations