!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Worsely works 42xx kit build  (Read 7679 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Worsely works 42xx kit build
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
The build is complete and undercoated.  I now need to let the etch primer harden before painting.  I also need to carefully remove the paint form the chimney and the safety valve, and add the whistles.

I have also packed the cavities with liquid lead as well as filling the coal bunker, to give her a descent weight.

Online Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2017, 01:05:23 am »
Wot - no lamp irons?  :D

Regards,

Alex

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2017, 08:41:09 am »
Wot - no lamp irons?  :D

Regards,

Alex

I thought about it but too fiddly without a low temp solder/iron and my old faithful has died.

I'm going to fit running lamps so will probably assemble them with irons and then attach as a module using a brass pin to secure.

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
I use industrial strength superglue - non of those applied this way have come off so far...

Regards,

Alex

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2017, 09:21:32 pm »

Watching paint drying 8)

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2017, 12:50:07 am »
NEXT  ::)  the 72xx  :D

Basically the same etches with a longer bunker so it should be easier to put together.

I have also laid my hands on a low temperature soldering iron that goes all the way down to 50 deg. for the small parts with low temperature solder.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2017, 01:35:20 am »

Slow progress tonight, but important to get this bit correct or the boiler will be squint.

I have had a question about soldering nickle silver on another thread and the secret is copious amounts of Carrs Green flux and no more solder than it takes to wet the tip of my iron.  Capillary action does the rest.  then immediately I am finished soldering a toothbrush and Fairy liquid to scrub off the excess flux.  Then every so often a scrub with a fiberglass pen to remove excess solder before it builds up.  There is nothing worse than solder excess from a previous joint flooding a new joint when you just don't want that much solder.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2017, 11:30:30 am »

Something to do while I wait for the snow to stop  :D

I'm really enjoying building these semi-kits from Worsley Works (im not paid for these plugs, they are earned), so much so I have decided to build another of Allen's offerings.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2017, 11:50:28 am »
Truly superb work. As you really enjoy building such kits (impossible for me, no soldering skills) and do such an excellent job, I wonder if would you consider building a 42xx for me, next year, as St Blazey had a few from 1950 to 1962, 4273 being the last?

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2017, 11:58:20 am »
I would have to add you to a very long list of requests.  :worried:   I'm afraid I just don't have the time.   :(

Having said that when my two new Garrett locos are complete I will be offering for sale my original model, built with Black 5 mechanisms which is also set up with sound DCC.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2017, 12:00:25 pm »
I would have to add you to a very long list of requests.  :worried:   I'm afraid I just don't have the time.   :(

Having said that when my two new Garrett locos are complete I will be offering for sale my original model, built with Black 5 mechanisms which is also set up with sound DCC.

No problem; I fully understand. I'm sure your Garrett will be a popular purchase.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2017, 12:13:51 pm »
In general if I build a custom model I make two. One to learn on and the second as the easy build.  In the case of the 42xx and the 72xx they are substantially the same loco (in real life one was a conversion of the other) so that's my pair.

The big problem is always the mechanism.  For the Garrett locos it was a case of cutting back an existing mechanism which is relatively easy, where as the 42xx and 72xx are fused together chassis parts to get the wheelbase and this is fare more troublesome.

Having said this that's why I record every stage with photos as it makes it easier for others to follow and try for themselves.

The C13, when I get round to it, will use the Farish Fowler 4P mechanism almost unmodified.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2017, 01:15:45 pm »

I've had numerous requests over the years too which actually gives you a sense of pride that people rate your work but as you say it is time. I did look in to it a few years ago but it is also a risky business. If you were to charge 10 an hour, for example, some of my scratch builds have taken over 50 hours especially with pre grouping liveries. Would someone be prepared to pay that amount just for the labour even before the cost of parts and a reliable mechanism and if they then chose not to pay......

I think I know why there aren't many people building commissions in 'N'  ;)

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2017, 12:45:44 am »

Side plates on but not cleaned up yet.  First task tomorrow is a rub down with the fiberglass pen.  The multiple bends all of different radius makes it tricky but I have a rather neat bending jig from www.thesmallshop.com that helps a lot.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:29:16 am by Snowwolflair »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: Yesterday at 12:25:19 am »

The body sitting on chassis (no bolts to hold it) and still to have liquid lead to give it weight.

A bit of tidying still required and handrails to be added and then she will be ready for the paint shop.

the chassis needs pistons and valve gear as well as holes drilled for bolts to secure the body.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here