Much ado about not very much

Started by port perran, July 09, 2018, 08:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

FINAL INSTALMENT

Will be published at 8-00pm this evening

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Mito

You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Jack

Quote from: port perran on July 31, 2018, 03:41:14 PM
FINAL INSTALMENT

Forum crash at 2000hrs then?   ;D  ;D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Train Waiting

Quote from: port perran on July 31, 2018, 03:41:14 PM
FINAL INSTALMENT

Mr Portillo on the Bluebell at 1830 (BBC2) and then this at 2000.  Excitement++ this evening.
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

The Final Instalment

Winston kept his nerve, despite not having the best of luck with the cards he was dealt. Despite some intimidating remarks and underhand tactics he managed to win some nine hundred pounds.
"Well done lad", said Alan Tregothnan, " We are starting to get some rough diamonds in this club and it's doing my reputation no good at all. They need rooting out and you are the man to do it. Here's 50 pounds from your winnings. Keep performing like that and there's more to come. Now, it's time to go,  I'll run you home"
The two returned to Alan's car and headed back to Newquay. Alan dropped Winston at the circus saying, "I'll pick you up at 9-15 sharp in the morning, don't let me down".

Next morning, Wally Doyle was an early arrival at Newquay police station. His first task was to radio DI Skinner with the news that the girl in custody was not Daisy Wills.
DI Skinner decided to go straight over to Newquay picking up Sergeant Reynolds on the way.
"So",commented Skinner, "the girl in the cells isn't the real Daisy Wills then. Who could she be ?"
"Well, Wally Doyle says she's willing to tell all ", replied Tom Reynolds, "So let's get over there to find out what she has to say".

Meanwhile at Tregonning, Alice Baggs walked into the small police house cum station. She rings the bell on the desk. With that Cracker Jacobs comes through the door. He immediately blushes and manages to stammer "Uh, can I Er help you  um young miss?"
"You certainly can", Alice replied confidently, "I knew when you came to my grandmother's house last evening that you took a fancy to me and I knew you were too shy to say anything. So, here I am, I'm going to ask you out".
Cracker didn't know what to say. He went even redder in the face and he could feel sweat forming on his brow as he gazed, open mouthed, at the beautiful young girl standing before him.
"I'll not take no for an answer", continued Alice, "I'll meet you at the station this evening at 5-30. We can catch the early train to Truro. There's  a film on I want to see at the Regal. Don't be late".
With that she marched out of the front door, giving Cracker a little wink as she left.

In Newquay police station, Wally Doyle, Dave Skinner and Tom Reynolds were sitting at a table in the interview room with a rather scruffy young girl, who had spent the night in the cells, opposite them.
"Well now", began DI Skinner, "What have you got to tell us?"

The girl looked at them, she was not pretty by any means but she had a nice smile and attractive eyes. She commenced her story. "I'll start by saying sorry. I never meant to steal money off all them people but once I started, I couln't stop. My name isn't Daisy Wills" she said, "It's Rosie Wills. Daisy's my little sister but she's always been the fav'rite. Pretty, nice figure, popular, clever, you name it she can do it whereas I got all the rotten jobs at the circus. I can't wait to leave and I want some revenge on Daisy. She's got it all an' I ain't got nuthin'."
"So", why turn to stealing?"asked DI Skinner.
"I wanned t'earn enuff money ta run away and I thought, if I could get me sister in trouble as well, by claiming to be 'er, that'd serve 'er right" replied Rosie.
"So you assumed Daisy's identity just to get her in trouble" replied Sergeant Reynolds.
"Thas 'bout the size of it" replied the young girl, "Now tis all gone wrong. I've bin nabbed an' I'll be goin' to prison an' that there Rosie will go on getting' everythin'. Tain't fair".
"And what about your brother?" Asked DI Skinner, "Where does he fit in to all of this?"
"Oh that good fer nuthin'. 'I trusted 'e but 'e's snaffled all me money and left me with none."
"OK Daisy, you wait here.. The three of us are going to have a little chat", said the DI.

The three returned some twenty minutes later and explained to Rosie that her brother had been effectively let off. PC Wally Doyle also explained that he'd had a word with Tommy Rowe, Rosie's unwitting accomplice. Tommy apparently had been really struck on Rosie (though he thought her name was Daisy) and wanted to patch things up. Apparently, Tommy had just been offered a job as an apprentice baker in St Austell and was keen to move into digs over that way. He was prepared to forgive Rosie if she would go with him.
DI Skinner summed things up, "Well Rosie, this is a serious case but, the only actual complaint about pickpocketing we've received is from Mrs Baggs. Nobody else seems bothered and in any case, in most cases it was only pennies that you took. So, we are prepared to let you off with no more than a warning and Sergeant Reynolds here will see to that. What do you have to say for yourself?"
"Oh...thank you" replied Rosie, "Thank you so much,I won't do wrong again. And I'll be off to see Tommy straight away, maybe I can start a new life with him and be happy. I feel bad that I strung 'im along before but 'e were such a softy".
With that the interview broke up with Sergeant Reynolds administering the stern warning in his office. Rosie was free to go home.

Some little time later the three policemen met up in the café down the road. "Well", said Sergeant Reynolds, "That was a lot of time expended on something pretty trivial.  Really I'd call it much ado about not very much". "Maybe", chipped in DI Skinner, " But....some valuable lessons have been learned. And, more importantly, I believe that Alan Tregothnan has got a useful ally in young Winston Wills. Tregothnan thinks we know nothing of the illegal gambling that goes on in his Club. He's wrong of course but in a roundabout way, I think that Winston will sort that out for us"
Wally Doyle added, " and I think we've now got young Winston and Rosie back on the straight and narrow. I'll keep an eye on them but hopefully they'll put all of this behind them"
"I'll drink to that" piped up Sergeant Reynolds, "Cheers" as he raised his coffee mug, "Cakes all round is it?"

That evening, Sergeant Reynolds paid a visit to Mrs Baggs taking her a lovely bunch of roses as a thank you for her help in solving the various petty crimes.. "Are you OK now?" He asked and explained the events of earlier. "Oh no harm done really" replied Mrs Baggs, "I'm just very glad those two youngsters have seen sense. I wish them well".
"Thanks" said the Sergeant as he left, "Enjoy a glass of sherry later Mrs Baggs".

At 4.30 prompt Cracker Jacobs signed off at the police station. He rushed home , had a wash and put on his very smartest clothes. He arrived at the railway station at 5.25 just in time to see a radiant Alice Baggs walking down the lane.

At 6.30, just as Tommy Rowe had finished his tea, there was a knock on the door."Daisy",he cried out, "So good to see you". "Well, it's Rosie actually, long story really.I know I've been rotten to you but can we start again please?" She asked as Tommy took her in his arms and gave her a huge kiss on the cheek. "You bet your life we can", he said.

Next morning, Alan Tregothnan arrived in Newquay to meet Winston Wills who was ready and waiting. "We're off to my old barn" said Alan, "You know it of course" he added grinning. "I want you to install two new windows. All tools and materials are there ready and waiting. Make a good job, as  I know you will and the job is yours".

Very briefly.......six months later....

Alice and  racker are engaged to be married as are Tommy  and Rosie who are now living in St Austell with Tommy doing well at the bakery and Rosie working at the local Co-op store.
Winston Wills is working full time for Alan Tregothnan whilst Alan's club in Camborne is now fully legitimate. Winston's gambling skills having ensured that all of the down and out card players had been shown the door.

As DI Dave Skinner said, " Much ado about not very much" but with a positive outcome.

That's all folks  :bounce:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Train Waiting

That was a lovely little story, Martin.  Thank you very much indeed.

Here's hoping for another one soon.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Train Waiting on July 31, 2018, 08:22:23 PM
That was a lovely little story, Martin.  Thank you very much indeed.

Here's hoping for another one soon.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John

Seconded. A Cornish "Dixon of Dock Green". 8-)

dannyboy

Due to circumstances beyond my control, (i.e work), I have had to wait until now to read the final bit. A lovely story.   :thankyousign:. One thing though- can I have a signed copy of your first novel please?  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mito

And thirded. All done without any violence, gratuitous or otherwise. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

talisman56

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Thank you Martin an excellent story   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations