BR Mk1/2 Rake configuration suggest

Started by BrakeCoach, February 06, 2017, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

Hello.
I want to know if there are any good rake configurations for mk1s and mk2s. 1950s Mk1 rakes,and 1980/90s Mk2d/e/fs.
Thank you.
:thankyousign:

Bob G

It all depends what you are trying to achieve. Your interest range is pretty wide too.

What types of trains do you run and what length of trains do you have space to run?

BrakeCoach

Quote from: Bob G on February 06, 2017, 02:40:49 PM
It all depends what you are trying to achieve. Your interest range is pretty wide too.

What types of trains do you run and what length of trains do you have space to run?
The mk1s should be in the 1950s style, in both maroon and crimson and cream liveries, and the mk2s are the 1980/90s Intercity livery. Both on the mainline.

MJKERR

I can't imagine the Mark 1 and Mark 2 liveries ever ran together at the same time, except where the Mark 1 coaches were private owner (Charter)
However, it is your layout and anything goes...

For the Mark 2 coaches, you are pretty limited by the range available
Farish Mark 2D TSO and FO
You can vinyl the above and create the BFK
You can also push the envelope of acceptability and vinyl to some of the other Mark 2D/2E/2F versions, but they would be even more inaccurate

For most acceptable rakes you can add any of the Mark 1 blue/grey coaches to run with the Mark 2D TSO / FO, such as the RMB and RBR, and one brake coach (BG BSK or BCK)
Regional services will generally have less First Class, and in some areas (or circumstances) none

Steven B

Train formations would also depend on the route. Trains serving London would typically have more first class accommodation than a cross country or sea-side special.

Farish have only ever done the air-con Mk2 BSO in blue grey. All other Mk2 D/E/F coaches (FO, SO) have been in either blue-grey, Scotrail or Intercity.

Some typical mid 1980s Midland Region formations made of Mk2s:
BG(Mk1) FO FO FO RBR(Mk1) SO SO SO SO SO BSO
BG(Mk1) FO FO FO FO RB SO SO SO SO
BG(Mk1) FO SO SO SO SO SO SO
SO SO SO SO RMB(Mk1) FO SO SO SO BG(Mk1)
BG(Mk1) FO SO SO SO SO SO
BG FO FO FO RFM(Mk3 buffer) SO SO SO SO SO SO SO

Mk1 BGs were done in blue, blue/grey, intercity and Scotrail colours.

Formations would have changed from the 1980s to the 1990s depending on region. On the WCML Mk1 buffets were replaced with Mk3 buffets whilst Mk3 DVTs replaced the BG at the first class end of the train.

Have a look on YouTube for trains of the period and location you're modelling and work out the train formations from the video.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Quote from: MJKERR on February 06, 2017, 03:33:37 PM
I can't imagine the Mark 1 and Mark 2 liveries ever ran together at the same time, except where the Mark 1 coaches were private owner (Charter)

I could be wrong but I think the OP will be running 2 different eras on his layout and not combining the 2 :hmmm:
Maroon + crimson/cream Mk1s would certainly have run together in the 50s but by about 1961/2 the crimson/cream were all but gone.

keithfre

A basic rake of MK1s for the main line would comprise at least one brake composite or passenger brake van (usually at the front and/or back) and a mixture of second and first class coaches. The first class could be a whole coach or coaches or part of a composite coach or coaches.

MacRat

The Yahoo! group BRCoachingStock has tons of coaching stock marshaling and coach working informations, starting from about 1950. Look out for the file "Carriage-Workings-PDF-Google-Drive_28-12-16.pdf" in the file section after joining.

bluedepot

currently i have an 8 coach rake out on my layout, it is comprised of nse class 47/7, mk1 full brake, mk2a so x3, mk1 rmb, mk2a bso, mk2a fk, mk1 fo  (mix of blue/grey and nse liveries).

generally i just make it up, put a catering vehicle in the middle somewhere, a brake coach in the mix as well...  it's not supposed to be a real train service, and whilst i like to look realistic it's just for my entertainment really...

to model a real service though you can look at videos / pictures or on that yahoo group.

tim

:NGaugersRule:

BrakeCoach

Quote from: MJKERR on February 06, 2017, 03:33:37 PM
Haha, I am modeling two eras at the same time. So the B1s can .be beside of an Intercity225

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations