Modelmaster/NGS decals

Started by trkilliman, October 13, 2017, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulCheffus

Quote from: red_death on January 17, 2018, 05:39:14 PM
I don't know the full details of the decision behind selling kits without transfers so I'm not prepared to second guess why it was taken (I'd hazard a guess that it was to prevent kit price rises and/or because transfer stock was not available and it is better to get the kit out without transfers than not at all).  IIRC the transfers for the majority of the kits are not from Modelmaster.

Hi

Are the transfers going to be sold separately? If not how do people finish their models?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

thebrighton

Quote from: red_death on January 17, 2018, 03:55:25 PM
There was no mystery about the fate of the 50th show - it was explained on here and in the Journal/NGS website what the problem was.
Regardless of the problems the NGS has, it is still a bargain at £18/year.  6 copies of the Journal, exclusive kits and RTR (which continue to be developed). Could things be better and more efficient - of course they could.

I know there is no mystery about the fate of the 50th show, just that the NGS had 50 years notice of the anniversary!
As for being a bargain you get a Journal at £3 a go irrespective of if there is much of interest in it, it can vary a lot. RTR - only occasionally of interest and would have probably ended up in production anyway and I, personally don't agree with the NGS offering RTR stuff. Kits - I love building kits but they are all to modern for me recently and what's the point if you can't get the transfers to finish it.
I've been a member for many years and despite membership steadily increasing what it offers is decreasing at the same rate. Sorry if you don't agree but we are all entitled to an opinion.

trkilliman

I magine the NGS decals and nameplates were a huge task...when coupled to the shop contents.

Having sold off the shop contents then surely the decals and plates would have become more manageable?

Was a NGS person sought who would have been prepared to take them on?

OR, was it in reality a case of the baby being thrown out with the bathwater (as has already been mentioned)

It's evident by the posts on here that some, if not many members are disgruntled by the, shall we say, outsourcing of the decals back to Modelmaster.

It also appears to me from their website that they have increased in cost. If they have increased in cost, which I feel they have, is this increase applied to NGS stock handed over to them?

Somebody also mentioned the Modelmaster postage cost being high.

We are aware what occured with the long time shop managers (well, to a degree we are) but it has to be said when you ordered decals they were despatched fairly quickly at a very fair postage cost.

I'm going to pull back from further posts on this subject (for a while). I have spoken to a NGS committee "high ranker" about this. As members all we can do is hope that something is sorted out, and the decals again become an easy to access item, at a fair cost / p&p.

As for emails, still not heard back from them, must be several weeks ago I emailed them.

Yet_Another

Is it any wonder that voluntary groups like the NGS find it extremely difficult to recruit new volunteers to committee positions, when all that is in prospect is the sort of comment seen in this thread?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

silly moo

Quite a few posts (mine included) are complaints about Modelmaster, I don't think that they should have taken the plates from the N Gauge Society if they weren't capable of managing them.

trkilliman

As I registered my NGS details with Modelmaster they send me emails.

Just had one to say they are soon to discontinue taking Paypal payments.

Thought I'd give you a heads up on this.

Shiney Sheff

Quote from: trkilliman on January 21, 2018, 08:17:00 AM

Thought I'd give you a heads up on this.

Yet another avenue for payment closed then, it just seems get more of a mess with every passing week.

silly moo

I unsbscrbed from Modelmaster's emails, I got really irritated by them, I would just like my nameplates or an answer to MY emails.

NeMo

Quote from: silly moo on January 21, 2018, 10:43:30 AM
I unsbscrbed from Modelmaster's emails, I got really irritated by them, I would just like my nameplates or an answer to MY emails.

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves this! Company happily sends you emails as often as they want, but never replies to any emails you send them!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PaulCheffus

Quote from: NeMo on January 21, 2018, 11:45:41 AM
Quote from: silly moo on January 21, 2018, 10:43:30 AM

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves this! Company happily sends you emails as often as they want, but never replies to any emails you send them!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi

Set up an email rule on your email account to return them automatically.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

NeMo

Quote from: PaulCheffus on January 21, 2018, 11:46:52 AM
Set up an email rule on your email account to return them automatically.

To be fair, Mail.app usually sends them into the Junk folder. It's not marketing emails I care about -- in fact the ones from Agent Provocateur are quite welcome! -- it's the absence of replies from those companies when I have a question or concern.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Ditape

I brought all the complaints about Modelmasters to the attention of NGS committee members on the NGS stand at the Calne show yesterday and it is apparently to be discussed at the next committee meeting which is in a couple of weeks.
Diane Tape

trkilliman

That's a very positive move Ditape...thank you. 

In a personal message to a high ranking member of the NGS committee, I said that whilst I agree and understand the reorganisation/culling of shop contents, I felt the "outsourcing" of the NGS decals back to Modelmaster was a step too far. It will be interesting to hear the outcome of their discussions/appraisal of the current situation that has unfolded.

Dr Al

Quote from: trkilliman on January 21, 2018, 08:17:00 AM

That will kill their online business.

Mind you, perhaps that's what they want?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

middlefour

Quote from: Ditape on January 21, 2018, 12:42:10 PM
I brought all the complaints about Modelmasters to the attention of NGS committee members on the NGS stand at the Calne show yesterday and it is apparently to be discussed at the next committee meeting which is in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for that.
Steve

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations