Here I go (again) - moving home.

Started by NTrain, December 14, 2016, 09:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Quote from: NTrain on June 10, 2017, 04:15:48 PM

It seems that my back problem is worse.  I have osteoporosis and a vertebral osteoporotic fracture. I also have narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbar area with the worst being at L5. A bit of a mouthful :)

Sorry to hear this Bob. My brother has suffered from a similar osteoporosis of the vertebrae for seven years, and gets a bit shorter each year as his vertebrae lose vertical height. Keep taking the pain meds, and enjoy your modeling. Hope the housing gets sorted soon too.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NTrain

If we refuse to leave our current bungalow, as we are being advised by the local council, I assume we are technically breaking the law.

Gary Burcombe

once your tenancy agreement has expired, the landlord has to go through the courts for an eviction notice.  If you leave before this, then the council consider you "voluntarily making yourself homeless" and it puts you further down the priority list.  Once you have that eviction notice, however, then you get higher up the list, but be prepared for an emergency B & B for a while.  My daughter was in the same situation last year, but she had a team of social workers on her side to help.  Considering your health problems, there should be other help available to you.

NTrain

Still in the rented accommodation, with our end date having been yesterday. Sent the estate agents an e-mail telling them we are paying on a weekly rolling basis, until we get somewhere else, or until the landlord gets a court order. I have drawn a line in the sand so to speak.

The good news is that we may be getting a council place, but there are several hoops to go through, and bizarrely, my medical condition could stop us getting the place. It is a ground floor flat, which means no stairs for me, but it only has a bath and no shower. There is an Adult Social Services report which states I need a level access shower.

If it comes to it, I will get a shower fitted myself. My primary concern now is to get a secure living place for me and my wife. We will adapt where necessary.

Nothing much will happen for at least two weeks.

Mike Hamilton

I really do hope that things pan out the way you want.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Newportnobby

Quote from: NTrain on June 22, 2017, 08:37:15 AM

If it comes to it, I will get a shower fitted myself. My primary concern now is to get a secure living place for me and my wife. We will adapt where necessary.

Glad you're digging your heels in, Bob.
If having a shower put into the council flat means you get it then maybe that's the price you must pay but just check with them you are OK to make such an alteration. Keep us posted please.

Ian Bowden

Quote from: newportnobby on June 22, 2017, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: NTrain on June 22, 2017, 08:37:15 AM

Glad you're digging your heels in, Bob.
If having a shower put into the council flat means you get it then maybe that's the price you must pay but just check with them you are OK to make such an alteration. Keep us posted please.
Social services will usually do the adaptation, they are usually slow in getting things done due to budget restraints but your priority should move you up the list.
If you have a problem with the council over the flat talk to your local councillor, when I worked for my local council any time a councillor asked questions we were instructed to get whatever it was fixed asap.

daveg

Hope the council get their tail in gear and give you the help you need.

All the best.

Dave G

NTrain

A bit of good news. We have been offered a flat (one bedroom) with a local housing association. Had an interview today and basically been told yes, by them.

It is still occupied, so we have to wait for the keys to be handed in before we can view it and agree. Possibly 2 weeks.

Downside will be lack of space for modelling.

Newportnobby

Is the flat ground floor, Bob? Hope the viewing goes OK and all is to your liking.

Quote from: NTrain on June 26, 2017, 04:12:11 PM

Downside will be lack of space for modelling.

Time to open negotiations with 'The Authorities', methinks :D

NTrain

Ground floor. Bath, no shower. Location is one of the best areas in Hunstanton.

daveg

The Q

I hope all goes well with the move to Sunny Hunny, and you enjoy the land of Le Strange.
I take it the new layout will be the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations