Problem accessing the Forum

Started by REGP, July 05, 2014, 06:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Had lots of problems logging on to the Forum today.

From about 11:00 BST kept getting message could not contact server or implying attempt to contact had timed out.

I had no problems contacting other sites, so was this a general problem affecting the forum a whole or simply my supplier playing up?

Regards

Ray

Tank

Hi Ray,

It was brought to my attention by Scotsoft this morning, and various other people on our Facebook group.

The company that hosts our forum came under a heavy DDoS attack, and it took a long time for them to repair the damage.

Tank.

REGP

Thanks Tank

I don't use Facebook, so wasn't aware of what was going on.

Regards

Ray.

PLD

Not sure if it is related, but I've not got the usual notification e-mails when replies are posted to topics since the forum came back on line, but there have been posts to the threads...

Bob Wild

I find it most depressing that anyone should attack such an innocent forum such as this. What on earth are they hoping to achieve? Unless our host is also serving all the major banks.

Tank

I'll look into the email problem. It could be that not everything is 100% yet. I've been getting them for the past few hours.

It wasn't a direct attack on us, but the whole of our hosting company. Hopefully it was a one off.

scotsoft

I have just started receiving notifications again  :claphappy:

cheers John.

Bealman

Yep me too... just this second on me phone!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Did we have another outage today? Couldn't log on using IE or Firefox around 17.00hrs :confused1:

talisman56

Quote from: newportnobby on July 08, 2014, 05:57:40 PM
Did we have another outage today? Couldn't log on using IE or Firefox around 17.00hrs :confused1:

No problems for me about that time...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Tank

CarriageShed

I don't seem to be getting notifications over the past two or three days. At first there was nothing at all, but after I visited the forum and viewed all unread topics, I've been getting a single notification for a seemingly random topic out of those that I've subscribed to, but no other notifications. And yet the forum seems to be busy enough. Normally I get around a dozen thread notifications a day. I thought it was worth highlighting this, just in case.

Tank

After the forum stopped working on Sunday night, a lot of servers 'blacklisted' the NGF for an unknown reason.  So, I'm getting bounced emails constantly stating "message send failure".  I'm waiting for them to take us off of their lists.   :(

CarriageShed

I'm using a hotmail address for notifications, so that shouldn't be the problem for me. But if the forum messages are being blacklisted it could be due to a spamming problem or hijack or similar of another site that shares the same server. The NGF could be caught in the backwash.

I didn't receive a notification that you'd posted, by the way, but I do seem to be getting single notifications for threads that I've commented on today, rather than just reading and running.

DELETED

I've not had notifications past few days.  But windows updated the other day also and automatically disabled my laptops' touchscreen ability again -looking on-line it's regular complaint with win updates.  Gotta love these little updates!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations