what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Spending Crimbo Limbo converting a Roco 6 wheel coach into a Wachwagen inspired by one which used to be found lurking on a loop near the army base at Dülmen (Germany), but seems to have been moved now.  Presume it used to be used in tank trains etc.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

texhorse

It seems like not a lot is happening on layouts around the world right now, if this thread is to be believed!

Not much is happening on mine, as I've been blowing my electricity circuit in the house through using to many amps through the layout!  I was using a heater in the shed, and its use has put too much current through the house supply.  I came indoors to change the fuse for the fifth time since Christmas, thinking to myself that I really should investigate the cause.

I unplugged the plug from the wall and burnt my fingers on the pins of the plug!  When I opened it up, there's even little scorch marks in there!  Now THAT is scary.

So tomorrow, the heater is going to the tip.  Then I will replace the fuse in the plug again.  We'll see if the power cuts out again.  I am guessing it won't.

Andy
UK
:dunce:
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

The Q

There is a good probability the plug is at fault and not the heater. It's likely the wires or fuse were working loose. The alternative is the socket may have a problem..

Meanwhile back on the layouts.

Tiree the N gauge layout, is due to have fencing fitted, windows put into the house, a path built to the house and then I really Must get the varnish out to give the seaweed a wet look. then the first updated board of 6 will be complete.

Ludgershall Change for Tidworth the EM gauge layout has been in hibernation,  I have 3 sets of base board materials cut (extruded foam with ply edging). I really do need to assemble them, so they can be reading for Modelling time.

GeeBee

njee20

Just converted my points to run on DCC, with control via a 24" touchscreen monitor using JMRI. Annoyingly discovered that there aren't Mac drivers for my (or most) touchscreens, so had to either pay £90 for 3rd party ones, or install Windows on the MacMini that goes with the layout. I opted for the latter, but am now frustrated at how much more slowly the computer boots, so contemplating sticking an SSD in the Mac.

Then there's a likely house move which has me daydreaming of the next layout, for which I fancy trying handbuilt track, despite never really doing much on my current one!

AndyRA

Tidying up and repositioning some stock after yesterday's photoshoot for Hornby magazine.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

JohnN

Fitting etched point & signal levers.  :confused1:   Looking forward to painting them next.  :goggleeyes: :dunce:

Wibble!

Newportnobby

You may find it more comfortable to do that work without pencils up your nostrils and underpants on your head :hmmm: :laugh3:

Train Waiting

Quote from: newportnobby on February 08, 2018, 08:56:52 PM
You may find it more comfortable to do that work without pencils up your nostrils and underpants on your head :hmmm: :laugh3:

"Wibble!"
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

JohnN

Quote from: newportnobby on February 08, 2018, 08:56:52 PM
:laughabovepost:

I've actually got paint brushes up my nose instead of pencils but it not easy painting them blooming levers.  :confused1:

texhorse

Tonight I've put some mod roc landscaping on my new layout, Cascade.  When it's dry I'll cover it in one of the much improved grass mats which are now available, and then cover it in trees to make it a forest.

Also, on my original layout, the Montrose and Highland Railroad, I've relaid the trackwork at my locomotive facility, and replaced the depot building with a new one.  I'm quite happy with it!  Photos to follow.

Andy
UK
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

texhorse

Here's a couple of photos of the new locomotive facility at Cherry Valley.

Andy
UK

"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

texhorse

I've just noticed the UP truck lying on its side outside the office!

:sorrysign:   ;D

Andy
UK
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

violets49

Right now I am at the design stage for a project called Eilean Gaothair which is based on the Late Bob Barlow's  'Ynys Gwyntog' which was in its turn a reimagining of Cyril Burch's sixties/seventies layout of the same name. Mine transported, as ths name will reveal, to the west highlands of Scotland. (I always thought Bob Barlow's layout looked more Scots than Welsh and Cyril's layout always seemed more SE England.) Ynys Gwyntog in Welsh is 'Windy Island' as is Eilean Gaothair in gaelic. Although some gaeltach scholars might say that 'Gaothach might be more correct. The little hamlet  of Camus Na Cardoch (Bay of the Tinkers) will be inspired by, as well as the two aforementioned layouts, by Mike Bryant's 'Inversnecky' and also the real Glas Na Cardoch and Morar.    :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations