Am I the only one? (Atlantic locomotive.)

Started by Byegad, January 10, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byegad

I'm beginning to think that I have a perverse yen.

After 60 years of Railway Modelling,  42 of those in N gauge I'm still unable to source any Atlantic loco of any kind.  I'd dearly love it to be one from the ECML but now any locomotive of any era or country would be fine.

Now I've shared my perversion I hope someone else is willing to 'come out'.

msr

Would the Minitrix Class S2/5 (Cat.No.12035) do the trick?

msr

Or the Fox Valley Models Milwaukee Road Class A for the Hiawatha?

geminijkr

No you are not the only one. I have an ex GCR C4 Atlantic built for me by Promodels of Coventry using a modified O4 kit on a Farish Chassis. The challenge was the year bogie that is actually fixed as a replacement for the rear driver but looks like a bogie with the outside frames fixed to the chassis. It looks the part and runs OK but not the best in my fleet. If you are interested PM and I will send you a photograph.
Keith

Stevie DC

You're not the only one but it is very rare.

As far as I was aware, the Minitrix Atlantic was the only N gauge rtr 4-4-2 available - and expensive to boot!!! I didn't know about the Fox Valley Models Atlantic - thanks msr!

I've built the Gresley rebuild of 3279 using a Farish Jubilee loco chassis and Union Mills tender drive as a base.

There has been at least on other Atlantic built in N gauge (not by me). That one used an old Peco Jubilee as a starting point.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2621&p=18784&hilit=minitrix+atlantic&sid=4c04bfbd6b50d48ce444a9176ee8a948#p18784

I've also had several failed attempts to build a general service C1 using various chassis including a Dapol B1 fitted with A3 wheels. At the moment I'm investigating the Farish 5MT as a possible donor (on and off for over a year) but, as with 3279, this will involve some fairly serious modifications to the chassis. Whichever rtr chassis is chosen you'll be faced with the choice of stretching the C1 or going with some quite under size wheels.

Worsley Works makes a set of etches as scratch building aids for a Robinson C4 which is the main reason why I've never bothered to design one in CAD. You'll need to source a chassis and all the fittings though; N Brass does the fittings for the Robinson O4 and Director so mixing and matching would probably get you a close representation.

Worsley Works: http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_steam_locomotives.htm

N Brass: http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/fitlner1.html

(Edited as I'm too silly to have noticed that msr showed us all the Fox Valley Models Atlantic!)

d-a-n

RailGooner

EtchedPixels

I've made a 2-4-2T but not yet a 4-4-2 although it's in theory not much different. Doing a chassis mod on a Farish 4-4-0 to make a 4-4-2 isn't that difficult as the metal piece intended for the tender link is ideal for attaching a bogie instead.

I guess the problem is that there were not that many 4-4-2's (tender especially) in the UK, and many that started 4-4-2 soon ended up 4-6-0. In addition many of the ones that were built were LYR locos and there is some strange conspiracy amongst model companies never to release any L&Y model ...

Guess we have to hope that Union Mills gets around to one.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Stevie DC

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 31, 2017, 08:45:03 PM
I've made a 2-4-2T but not yet a 4-4-2 although it's in theory not much different. Doing a chassis mod on a Farish 4-4-0 to make a 4-4-2 isn't that difficult as the metal piece intended for the tender link is ideal for attaching a bogie instead.

I guess the problem is that there were not that many 4-4-2's (tender especially) in the UK, and many that started 4-4-2 soon ended up 4-6-0. In addition many of the ones that were built were LYR locos and there is some strange conspiracy amongst model companies never to release any L&Y model ...

Guess we have to hope that Union Mills gets around to one.

And very nice it looks too Alan!

I forgot that I'd also made a C12 tank engine out of the Dapol 14xx chassis (the same chassis as Alan's F4/F5 body). However, some cutting of the chassis is required as well as a spare Farish bogie (I think mine was off a Jubilee).

Byegad

I'm now the proud owner of a C4. Bought from fellow member Keith Robson who has advertised some of his stock in the latest Journal.

I'm absolutely delighted with the locomotive and Keith has been a pleasure to deal with.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations