BR 1970s Sleeper Rake

Started by BrakeCoach, February 12, 2017, 12:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

Hello,
Is there any good sleeper coach rakes including a restaurant car, and are all Mk1 coaches?
Thanks,

woodbury22uk

Found this all-sleeper train from 1977/78 on RMWeb.

2330 (SX) Euston to Glasgow
BG (NDV)
2 SLCT
SLSTP
SLF
SLSTP
SLF
SLSTP
SLF
Pullman Car
4 SLF
BG (NDV)

The Pullman car was either the Nightcap Bar or Hadrian's Bar. At this date all of the other stock would have been blue/grey Mk1s. The Nightcap Bar in blue/grey was/is in the Farish range.

Other services carried seating coaches too which were often Mk1s, though some early Mk2s crept in as time went by and carriages were cascaded from daytime services switching to later air-conditioned Mk2s and Mk3s.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

D1042 Western Princess

Some Mk1 sleepers in BR(WR) markings would be nice - surely I can't be the only person wanting some?
On another note I went to my local station to ask the 'Information' clerk there how much 'A trip on the kippers' would cost (reverting to the enthusiast slang for a sleeping car train from the 1970s) and she had no idea what I meant! I had to explain I meant a berth on the Paddington/Penzance 'Night Rivera' express before she had the foggiest idea. ::)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

njee20

I would have looked at you similarly blankly.

Hardly unreasonable that a 40 year old term used by a small group of people hasn't slipped into common parlance!

Western Exile

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on February 15, 2017, 08:38:27 PM
On another note I went to my local station to ask the 'Information' clerk there how much 'A trip on the kippers' would cost (reverting to the enthusiast slang for a sleeping car train from the 1970s) and she had no idea what I meant! I had to explain I meant a berth on the Paddington/Penzance 'Night Rivera' express before she had the foggiest idea. ::)

Don't be surprised if the next time she sees you coming she goes off on her lunch break...
(not Dr.) Al

Carmont

Some Mk1 sleepers in BR(WR) markings would be nice - surely I can't be the only person wanting some?

There's something decidedly fishy about that story.....

Newportnobby

Considering the popularity of WR layouts it does seem odd the only 2 maroon sleeping cars from Farish are 1 x M prefix and 1 x E prefix.

Bealman

Just turn the M upside-down and you've got a W  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Carmont on February 16, 2017, 08:40:50 PM

There's something decidedly fishy about that story.....

Just in case anyone is wondering there were two sleeping car trains in each direction between Paddington and Penzance back then (technically the first was only between Padd and Exeter where the 3 sleepers were shunted off - that was "The Waker" because to generations of staff they had to wake up to handle it, particularly in Cornwall, and London area for the 'up') but the 9 or 10 day coaches and up to 5 vans kept on down to Plymouth (yes, it could load up to 18 vehicles off Padd in summer) and beyond while the other was a 13/14 coach all sleeper plus Brake vehicle (obviously) and was termed "The Kippers" by enthusiasts (and some staff in time) because (in theory anyway) all the passengers were 'akip' :sleep: (sleeping, in other words).  Today it's run as one train of just 8 vehicles - but then they no longer have a Western to haul it which was quite capable in the 1960s/1970s.

D1042 Western Princess

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations