Class 43 HST125

Started by Newportnobby, May 16, 2018, 03:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Do it, I doubt you'll regret it.

I love my 2+9 FGW Dynamic Lines train. I plan on getting a full GWR train too. If Dapol were to release 'celebrity' power car sets, I'd buy them also!

One of Dapol's finest models IMHO. They've captured the look and presence of the prototype very well. There are some roof inaccuracies - which I don't mind - and they wouldn't be Dapol models if there weren't some livery faults. But if you swoon at the beauty of the prototype you'll not be disappointed by this model.

Intercity

You won't stop at just one, I thought I could but here are four on the test track, all Dapol sets

I also have the NMT one, eventually I'll convert some Dapol coaches to go with it.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Intercity on May 17, 2018, 09:19:04 PM
You won't stop at just one

Oh yes I will. I am a strictly transition era modeller who bought a Pendolino to help get the project over the line and still believe I'll sell it on, and I bought the HST purely as it being the icon it was/is exactly as per the TV programme. It won't fit in with anything else I have so will be given a run out only now and then in privacy ;) Other icons I'd like are the diesels 'Kestrel', 'Falcon' and 'Lion' but I can't see these coming out as RTR in the time I have left on this planet :( :(

Newportnobby

The multi coloured worm has landed. A huge  :thankyousign: to @njee20 for the advice on which extra carriages to get, but now here comes a transition modellers question. What would be the correct composition of the train please? The book set contains 2 x driving cars, a restaurant buffet (E40424) and an unknown [to me] (E44047) and my purchases were 3 x TS and 1 x TF (sorry @Yet_Another if only I'd seen yours)
Review now to be posted.

Skyline2uk

Hi Nobby

I am assuming the "unknown" in your box set is a TGS (trailer guard second).

This is spotted by a short section without windows, normally found next to a Power Car.

If so, I would arrange your purchase thus:

PC + TGS + TS + TS + TS + Buffet + TF + PC

If you ever wish to expand the rake, add a TF next to your existing one and / or a TS with its fellows.

Skyline2uk

EDIT: According to Hattons, E44047 is indeed a TGS

Newportnobby

@Skyline2uk
Ta muchly for that. I didn't think they'd put the 1st class TF at the rear as it makes all those posh folks have to walk further to the exit gate, or should I be reading the formation from right to left?

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 18, 2018, 12:33:22 PM
@Skyline2uk
Ta muchly for that. I didn't think they'd put the 1st class TF at the rear as it makes all those posh folks have to walk further to the exit gate, or should I be reading the formation from right to left?

It rather depends which end London is on your layout ;D

Can't speak definitively for Eastern Region, but HSTs out of Paddington have their First Class at the end closest to the buffers.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 18, 2018, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on May 18, 2018, 12:33:22 PM
@Skyline2uk

It rather depends which end London is on your layout ;D

Can't speak definitively for Eastern Region, but HSTs out of Paddington have their First Class at the end closest to the buffers.

Skyline2uk

So would that alter your..........

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 18, 2018, 12:16:54 PM

PC + TGS + TS + TS + TS + Buffet + TF + PC

........or should I just reverse everything between the PCs in that?

Skyline2uk

If London is on the left as you read this post, you are correct sir  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

woodbury22uk

I would like to welcome @Newportnobby to the 1980s. I hope your stay will be a pleasant one. Exit to Pendolino land or transition era by entering that large blue police box and twiddling some knobs.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Skyline2uk

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 18, 2018, 02:21:04 PM
I would like to welcome @Newportnobby to the 1980s. I hope your stay will be a pleasant one. Exit to Pendolino land or transition era by entering that large blue police box and twiddling some knobs.

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :laughabovepost:

You twiddle your own knobs now.... :worried:

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Now come on, Mike @woodbury22uk , every transition modeller knows the 125s were introduced before the 1980s. I will be visiting the late 1970s on a very sporadic basis but don't tell anyone else please. I have a reputation to keep up ;)

RailGooner

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 19, 2018, 11:09:10 AM

Now come on, Mike @woodbury22uk , every transition modeller knows the 125s were introduced before the 1980s. I will be visiting the late 1970s on a very sporadic basis but don't tell anyone else please. I have a reputation to keep up ;)

What happens in the train room, stays in the train room. :D

Yet_Another

On a prototypical note, I remember getting most of them, in my teenage train spotting days, from the number scrawled on the front of the cabs in the workshops at BREL Crewe. They are all pink under the paint.

I also remember the thrill of walking through the entire length of a pair that had come back 'light engine', while they were still ticking away as they cooled down. It was good enough that we'd seen the pair earlier in the day, from the end of the station.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 19, 2018, 11:09:10 AM

It has a TGS which was definitely a 1980 novelty, and exhaust deflectors which were a late 1970s mod to keep the windscreens cleaner. But whatever the era these were the pinnacle of diesel powered Inter-City trains, and I might even buy one.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations