!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol May / June 2018 release schedule  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Bingley Hall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21700
    • Awards
Re: Dapol May / June 2018 release schedule
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:39:04 am »
Enough with the Gunpowder vans already  ???

How about a BR blue Siphon?

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:40 am »
Re the new 86 releases, does anybody know how long these have been planned?

I ask as it wasn’t very long ago I was saying on Facebook that Dapol need to get some more Blue and Intercity 86s out there as there is obvious demand.

Just interested if Dapol have been saying it will happen for a while and I subconsciously picked up on it, or if I should start referring to myself as “Mystic Skyline”  ;D

Skyline2uk

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:02 am »
Re the new 86 releases, does anybody know how long these have been planned?

I ask as it wasn’t very long ago I was saying on Facebook that Dapol need to get some more Blue and Intercity 86s out there as there is obvious demand.

Just interested if Dapol have been saying it will happen for a while and I subconsciously picked up on it, or if I should start referring to myself as “Mystic Skyline”  ;D

Skyline2uk

Quite a few months already, I recall placing a pre-order sometime last year with expected delivery in February-ish, and before they were officially announced, there was some debate on the Dapol forum.

Also I've been saying pretty much since I got into N gauge about 4 years ago that I have money ready and waiting to buy a BR blue version any time Dapol cares to get round to releasing one...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:32:12 am by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:14 am »
Executive dark grey is Pantone 447
Executive light grey Pantone 452

Come on Dapol, do me proud on this one. Will save me a respray...

Seriously, this is Dapol we're talking about. They wouldn't be true to their inner spirit if they didn't release something beautifully painted and detailed but with a subtle error somewhere on the model. Maybe it's a bit like Persian rugs and their hidden weaving mistake!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 10:11:12 am »
Not really sure how to interpret this @NeMo , but it's hardly a subtle error. Black on an IC loco (plus coaches) when the colour should either be executive dark grey for old InterCity or falcon grey on IC Swallow or later Mainline stands out like a shore thumb in my eyes. All the livery information is freely available online, if you know where to look. Don't get me wrong, Dapol do produce some wonderful models, but they are constantly let down by livery errors. This has been happening for years now. Yet after constant criticism, they still keep releasing them with the same errors. 

I'm not a true elitist, but simple colours like black and greys should be easily addressed.

Take the Dapol IC Swallow HST power cars and coaches for example. This is one I am currently working on (43084 HST DVT conversion with buffer beam conversion)

Standard Dapol colour (Black!)

Masked up

Once masked and resprayed Falcon grey

Masking removed (except windows)

Now how much better does that look? 100 times better in my opinion.

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 10:28:23 am »
Not really sure how to interpret this @NeMo , but it's hardly a subtle error.

Ironically. Interpret it ironically.

It brought to mind the beautiful, but completely wrong, weathered maroon D1000 'Western Enterprise' that never ran in that colour without yellow warning panels. So anyone buying that model would need to paint the yellow ends onto the loco, losing the nice weathering, or else renumber it as something else, which means losing the cast aluminium roundels and replacing them with standard BR roundel transfers instead.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 10:38:10 am »
Take the Dapol IC Swallow HST power cars and coaches for example. This is one I am currently working on (43084 HST DVT conversion with buffer beam conversion)

I guess it may be in the eye of the beholder but the Dapol colour looks closer to how I remember the HSTs to be honest. Your respray is well done but looks too light to me. The Dapol model is dark grey (not black) whereas yours looks mid-grey which is lighter than I remember the HSTs in the 90s.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 02:17:40 pm »

I guess it may be in the eye of the beholder but the Dapol colour looks closer to how I remember the HSTs to be honest. Your respray is well done but looks too light to me. The Dapol model is dark grey (not black) whereas yours looks mid-grey which is lighter than I remember the HSTs in the 90s.

As regards your photo, remember that lighting and weathering are all factors that need to be taken into consideration.

IC Swallow is Falcon grey, which is lighter than the previous executive dark grey. The Dapol model is black, full stop. I have used the correct pantone when respraying the model, and the lighting is a little low (when photos were taken) So I had to brighten the photo's up a little before uploading. Once the model is complete, I shall have a more better photo to show. What I don't understand is that when Dapol released the DVT, all 3 IC Swallow examples (116, 132 and recently 101) are a pretty good match. So why are the HST sets all wrong? If they have the colour right on the DVT's, why not on other IC stock? Same goes for the 56's, 58's and 86's? I have had about 3 different shades of grey pass over my work bench. Has there been a change in managers after every model has been ticked off and released?

I think a lot of modellers are falling into the trap of "Oh it looks about right, so it is, or will do" It's a shame really.

I have just noticed that I have forgot to take off the masking tape from above the ex guards door! Now removed to reveal the executive light grey, which Dapol have got to pretty right. 

Cheers
Anthony

Sorry, I am just a fickler for colours on models. Information, Pantone and RAL codes are freely available. Or are they just looking at photos on a computer screen and thinking yeah, that colour will do. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:20:14 pm by 37058 »
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 02:28:35 pm »
Part of the problem is that colour doesn't scale well. So yes, it may be correct, but look totally wrong. Look at the variations we have in BR blue. It's not my era, but even I notice how much it varies!

Personally I don't actually care about it being a perfect pantone match, for a start the real thing is usually gloss, whilst our models are nearly always satin, which looks better. I want homogeny (where appropriate), whilst Dapol have managed to consistently screw that up. There have been 3 different shades of grey used on the roofs of the Swallow mk3s, which look ridiculous when put together. The real thing fades, which we tend not to replicate, even if weathering.

I must say both look good, but if you held a gun to my head I'd also say that the Dapol 'black' is closer to how I remember Swallow HSTs, and I've never thought my 86 was the wrong colour either.

But this has been done to death on the OO gauge Oxford Rail mk3 coaches, where the light grey is definitely wrong and far too white!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »
Aaaaaannnd this is why one day (far far away) I will re-visit 47145.

I struggled to find the correct colour for the blue on this, so ended up (look away now Mr S) going “that’ll do” and using Humbrol No. 15   >:D

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £62.00
Above Goal: £7.00
Site Currency: GBP
113% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything