Reply notification links broken on mobile

Started by Nick, May 15, 2018, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I've just switched to an Android phone, having finally jumped ship from Windows Mobile (or whatever it was called latterly).

I've noticed that when I receive email notification of a forum reply, the link to go to the reply is broken. For example, for something like:

View the reply at: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41386.new;topicseen#new

the hyperlink will  only extend as far as the topic number, 41386. The rest of the address is unlinked, so obviously selecting the address fails. Every notification is exhibiting the same behaviour. The link stops at the topic number.

I am using Outlook for Android, on a Samsung A5, currently running Oreo. The same thing was happening when the phone was running Nougat. It doesn't happen in PC desktop Outlook. The full link is then clickable.

Any idea what is going on?

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

woodbury22uk

I have had the same issue using the Android Gmail app. Switched to Yahoo! Mail and no further problem, all links complete.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Nick

Curious.

The other thing I've noticed lately is that the text of the reply is no longer embedded in the notification. All that appears is a placeholder : {MESSAGE}. That is happening on my PC as well.
Nick

Tank

From my knowledge I can only think that it's through your mailbox that this is happening.  Perhaps view your emails in a different format?  I use Outlook for mine and have never had an issue.  I don't use an Android phone, but I don't imagine it's Android specific.

Nick

It's fine on Outlook on my Windows PC. It's using Outlook for Android that the problem arises. Perhaps I should fire up my old phone or check the webmail interface.

Oddly the Unsubscribe link is fine.

It's not the end of the world but I wondered if anyone knew what was happening.
Nick

Papyrus

Email notification links have never worked satisfactorily on my phone (Samsung S6). They only ever take me to the home page and trying to navigate to the topic is too much like hard work. So these days I just check the phone to see if there are any replies I might be interested in and then read them the next time I fire up the laptop.

Cheers,

Chris

Nick

I thought I'd give an update on this. The forum notification links in emails have started working on Outlook on my Android phone.

I don't know when this started - I noticed two or three days ago, but it could easily have been longer ago than that.

Update to Outlook? Something changed at the NGF end? Anyway, it works now.  :)
Nick

Tank

Nothing our end, but thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations