The PETER CHARLES FAGG competition

Started by Newportnobby, May 01, 2018, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

'Friends...'

I've just spotted this and I have to declare a small tear ran down my cheek. I never met Peter either but I did have the privelege of being the NGF member who finally posted the NGF coach to him on the coach tour of 2016. Id had the coach on Northallerton and a couple of other North East layouts at our exhibition back in 2016. Peter was very ill at that time but was always a gentleman, as others have said, and he was very pleased to receive the coach.
Two years on and I can only say what a fitting tribute it is to Peter, I'm sure he would be delighted.

Is there a way we can sort of turn the competition into a coach tour too, so that those of us who have exhibition layouts can run the coaches for other members to see at echibitions? I would love to be in the competeion but if its possible, not recieve the coaches till mid July?
(I'm in btw)

Cheers
Kirky

Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Newportnobby

Quote from: Nick on May 10, 2018, 08:20:40 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but was Peter a regular on the exhibition circuit in some capacity?

Looking at his photograph, he seems extraordinarily familiar, but I can't place why.

Peter was not involved on the exhibition circuit but had visited TINGS and his photo was his forum avatar, so maybe that's where you recall him from.

Quote from: kirky on May 10, 2018, 09:12:52 AM

Is there a way we can sort of turn the competition into a coach tour too, so that those of us who have exhibition layouts can run the coaches for other members to see at echibitions? I would love to be in the competition but if its possible, not receive the coaches till mid July?
(I'm in btw)

Cheers
Kirky

Thanks for the kind words, Kirky. I'm sure Peter would much prefer this to be a bit of fun rather than a very serious photo comp so anyone showing layouts could enter providing they send in a photo to be judged. I would need to know when the show would be as I may have to juggle the posting sequence to ensure they have the coaches to hand. To anyone else I would say don't think you need the best layout in the world to enter. A simple diorama would suffice e.g. a small length of track with a bit of scenery and Robert's your mother's brother ;D

Nick

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 10, 2018, 09:48:33 AM
Peter was not involved on the exhibition circuit but had visited TINGS and his photo was his forum avatar, so maybe that's where you recall him from.
Thanks. It must be his avatar. I can't imagine I'd remember a fellow show attendee unless we were constantly bumping into each other. Literally.

The strange thing is that my wife recognised his photograph as well. We were both confidently expecting someone to say: "Ah, yes, he ran XYZ Junction for forty years, man & boy!"

Only so many facial types, I suppose.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Newportnobby

I would say "Once met, never forgotten"
The one time I saw Peter at TINGS he was sporting a wide brimmed hat (of the type generally seen with corks hanging all round in parodies of Aussies), a pair of baggy khaki shorts and a huge pair of brown brogues. I know he was wearing more but those are the things that, for some reason, have stuck in my memory!

Delboy

Quote from: Malc on May 09, 2018, 06:21:40 PM
You don't necessarily have to have a layout, @dellboy . In all the times we went to see Peter, he only managed to get a loco around his layout on one occasion. So, a photo on whatever part of your layout is done would be fine.
Very true Malc. I will register my interest later, when I return from a holiday scheduled in June.
:thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Malc

As Mick says, Peter was not a n gauge exhibitor, but he was an exhibitor on the wood turning circuit. He also did tool reviews for Practical Woodturning.
Again , as Mick says, those baggy shorts, brown brogues and white fedora certainly made him stand out.
He was a good friend and I was very sad to see him at the end. He desperately wanted to take part in the coach tour, but didn't have the strength to get down the garden to his layout. I ended up posting it on.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

JonHarbour

If the coach could be sent to Australia at some point, I'm sure that bealman and I could organise a meet-up of some sort to hand it on, or photograph it on a layour or something. But obviously, it is quicker and easier for it to make the UK rounds first!
Still planning a layout...

Vonzack

Hi,

Picture taken and uploaded, but here's a short video of the coaches running on the Yorkshire Area Groups Guys Cuttings.

https://youtu.be/LwrVdoontf0

Cheers, Mark.

Railwaygun

Here is my entry ( not a winner! )

Coaches in post monday
@Newportnobby
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Malc

Quote from: Railwaygun on July 15, 2018, 01:55:18 PM
Here is my entry ( not a winner! )

Coaches in post monday

Like the dazzle on the loco.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

weave

Hi all,

Have done my photo but don't know how to get it onto the PCF competition gallery. I could get it onto one of my posts but this all seems slightly different.

Complete computer numpty as you know so, should I do that and then someone could move it to where it's supposed to be?

Any help appreciated. I upload pictures from 'my pictures' Windows 7 if that helps.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Ps Maybe put here although that's obviously not the right thing to do.

Ditape

To post to PCF gallery all you need to do is open the reply window select upload image and the drop down menu for select category gives the option to upload to the PCF gallery, I hope this helps.
Diane Tape

weave

Hello Di,

I think I know what you mean  :worried: but if the pic shows up here, sorry and I can try again.

Cheers  weave  :beers:

weave

Think I've done it. Thank you.  :beers:

edit. Just looked at it and have done it twice  :doh:. but the recent one has a little description. Tried to delete the earlier one but it wont let me.

Anyway it's in the gallery.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations