!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 53976 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #765 on: April 25, 2018, 09:36:44 pm »
Excellent, Roger.  Your point rodding looks realistic enough to trip over!

I'm with you on the single rod operating a crossover.  It would be worked from one lever in the frame.  If it's on a passenger line, there would be the facing point locks as well, which is, I assume, your other rod.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #766 on: April 25, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »

Yes, I must remember to put covers at spots where staff might be walking over the rods!

I'm with you on the single rod operating a crossover.  It would be worked from one lever in the frame.  If it's on a passenger line, there would be the facing point locks as well, which is, I assume, your other rod.

The photo is just a little test piece so random number of rods. I have wondered about an FPL - the only facing point is the entrance to the goods loop - but perhaps it's going a bit too far in N!

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #767 on: April 26, 2018, 12:15:12 am »

Best wishes.

John
Thank you for that - I've been trying to convince my colleagues in the local N Gauge Group that the two points in a crossover should operate in unison.  I've also been trying to convince one member that a single slip can be controlled with a single switch operating both point motors, but to no avail. 
I fear, however, my remaining years are too short for me to contemplate installing point rodding; the obvious next stage would be signal wires (I think we have the technology in the form of the lightest monofil fishing line), but my sanity is too fragile.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #768 on: April 26, 2018, 09:56:17 am »
I've been trying to convince my colleagues in the local N Gauge Group that the two points in a crossover should operate in unison.

If it helps you convince them, no lesser authority than Brian Lambert shows how to use 3 studs on a crossover and how to link things so the middle stud is used to operate both points.
(Near to the bottom of this page under 'Stud & Probe wiring')

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #769 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:44 am »
With a decent CDU with a bit of grunt, one button on a mimic panel will throw the two points over at once no worries.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #770 on: April 26, 2018, 11:37:29 am »
Thank you for that - I've been trying to convince my colleagues in the local N Gauge Group that the two points in a crossover should operate in unison.  I've also been trying to convince one member that a single slip can be controlled with a single switch operating both point motors, but to no avail. 
I fear, however, my remaining years are too short for me to contemplate installing point rodding; the obvious next stage would be signal wires (I think we have the technology in the form of the lightest monofil fishing line), but my sanity is too fragile.

Many thanks for this.  It is the normal practice for the two points in a crossover to be operated by one lever.  There may be exceptions (I seem to recall one at Plumpton Junction on the former Furness Railway), but this is the norm.  Perhaps this will help to convince them:

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=1043

The crossovers and, where appropriate, facing point locks are shown very clearly.

The normal practice was for the two switches in a crossover to be designated, for example, '8A' and '8B'.  'A' would normally be closest to the signal box.  Nowadays, with the signal box, perhaps, several counties away, 'A' will normally be closest to the 'Zero' milepost for the line.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #771 on: May 01, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »
I've made a start on installing a short length of point rodding on the layout, but progress has been slow for various reasons! So instead of pictures of progress being made here's a photo from the archive. The loco is another example of TMC's weathering, the medium option this time.

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #772 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:51 pm »
Looking splendid ! :jealous:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #773 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
Sorry, I've run out of superlatives, but wow!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #774 on: May 02, 2018, 06:27:47 am »
I've made a start on installing a short length of point rodding on the layout, but progress has been slow for various reasons! So instead of pictures of progress being made here's a photo from the archive. The loco is another example of TMC's weathering, the medium option this time.

Wow! Every new picture gets better and better

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #775 on: May 02, 2018, 10:04:57 am »
Wonderful picture Roger. This is just the kind of modelling that I aspire to try and one day achieve!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #776 on: May 04, 2018, 09:50:11 pm »
After my experiments with point rodding Iíve finally installed a short length on the layout to see how it looks. To make the stools I started by cutting a 3mm wide strip of 30 thou plasticard. Using a crude jig I drilled the holes for the wires to pass through before separating each upright from the strip. As my track is on 1/8th inch cork underlay I needed a base about 2.5mm thick for which I used short lengths of square section Plastruct. I placed these on a length of masking tape fixed sticky side up before adding the uprights. Before removing the stools from the tape I painted them, trying to avoid the blocking the holes.

I then got my spade out and dug holes down to baseboard level.

The stools were glued into place and the holes were filled with ballast and scatter. The wires were then threaded through the holes. A small drop of superglue on each stool holds the wires in place. I cut some strips of paper which I slid under the wires to protect the ballast as I painted the Ďrodsí.

The cranks were cut from 20thou plasticard by the Silhouette machine and are mounted on bases made from further pieces of Plastruct. Thereís a tiny piece of 20thou between base and crank. Iíve still got to add the rods going across the tracks.

I donít think thereís any turning back now!

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #777 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:19 pm »
Certainly looks the part,fits right in. :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #778 on: May 05, 2018, 03:38:28 am »
THat's amazingly delicate work but the results are excellent.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #779 on: May 05, 2018, 07:55:33 am »
Wonderful work Roger and something that is even harder when you are retrofitting them to scenically complete layout.

This is something that I've always wanted to put on my layout. Having seen yours, I'm very glad that I only have five points to make rodding for (none of which are very far from the signal box).

You do know that now you're doing that, there is an expectation for you to model the signal wires too!  :P (I'm joking of course!)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here