!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2018, 07:44:07 am »
Super film. It really takes me back!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »
I recently took a brave pill and decided to upgrade my backscene.  I have to say that changing the backscene on a finished layout is not a good thing to do I knew that before I started.
I wasnít happy with the sky paper I used as it was a bit wishy washy and the pale clouds didnít really look right in size for N gauge. Also, as I have my thunderstorm effect, I needed a sunny day with some cumulonimbus building up to make more sense. Also, I had printed out my own photos on my own printer for the backscene and this was beginning to fade.
So I found so clouds I liked and sized them to what looked right to me using PowerPoint. I then used paint.net (a free app for Windows) to select the land from my original photos and plant them onto the same photo same the clouds.
A company called Solopress will print a 60Ē by 40Ē poster and send it to you for £15. So I made a blank image that size, pasted my backscene onto it and sent this online to the printing company. I did this on Good Friday. Solopress mailed me on the Friday to see if I had made a mistake as what I had sent didnít look like a good poster but I told them what I was doing and that was fine. Amazingly the poster arrived the Tuesday after Easter and somtoday I cut it up and put it on the layout. I reckon it was £15 well spent and am sharing this as it seems to me like a good and cost effective way of getting your very own backscene. In my case the photos were taken looking at the land behind the real Aller Junction (or divergence as it is now).

Before the new backscene

After

That blue may be a bit deep for some tastes but to me it says summertime.

Online GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2018, 06:14:42 pm »
Just have to say WOW that is really effective! Nice  :goggleeyes:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 09:34:36 pm »
 :hellosign: Very effective Chris absolutely money wisely spent
        regards Derek.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 10:22:27 am »
Nicely blended.   :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:35 am »
Thanks to the experts on the GWR E-list, I have some information on the BR WR Chocolate & Cream liveried ex-GWR catering coaches included in trains of otherwise BR Standard carriages.

"There were about 30 ex-GWR vehicles that were so painted as I believe the WR didn't start receiving Mk1 catering vehicles in sufficient quantities for all their named expresses until 1961. Here is the list I have. I believe it is accurate although as always, new information can come to light at any time." (H. etc. are the Diagram numbers, that is the type of coach. I hope that someone more knowledgeable can identify the specific coach types, e.g., Buffet, Restaurant, and whether any kits are available to build models of them?)

H.13 -   9524
H.15 -   9543
H.16 -   9550
H.19 -   9553
H.24 -   9557, 9560
H.25 -   9563
H.26 -   9571
H.29 -   9574, 9575, 9576
H.36 -   9586, 9587
H.39 -   9614, 9615, 9617, 9618, 9619
H.40 -   9621, 9622, 9623, 9624, 9625, 9627
H.54 -   9663, 9667
H.55 -   9677, 9678
H.57 -   9672, 9673

I presume that the vehicle numbers would be prefixed and suffixed with W.

These ex-GWR coaches did not receive the BR coaching stock roundels, unlike the BR Standard coaches. "There are a few photos in Kevin Robertsonís "Great Western Coaches in Colourí": 9543 is shown in September 1960 and is marked RESTAURANT CAR. Similarly marked are 9553 in July 1957 and 9672 undated (but presumably 1956-60). Finally, 9677 is shown in 1957 marked BUFFET. No round totem on any of them."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:37:43 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2018, 10:42:48 am »
Penzance shed (83G) had an allocation of about thirty engines which, in 1957, included three 'Counties', one 'Castle', six 'Halls', ten 'Granges', and a 'Manor'. So, you definitely need at least one 'Grange'.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2018, 03:06:25 pm »
Thanks to the experts on the GWR E-list, I have some information on the BR WR Chocolate & Cream liveried ex-GWR catering coaches included in trains of otherwise BR Standard carriages.

A very useful list, thanks Chris.  Maybe I'll be able to find a more realistic solution than a Mk1 RFO + RMB pair for my west-Wales to Bristol express. 

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »

A very useful list, thanks Chris.  Maybe I'll be able to find a more realistic solution than a Mk1 RFO + RMB pair for my west-Wales to Bristol express.

Glad you found it useful. An RMB plus SO, or an RU plus RFO or SO would also be possible combinations. But, I agree, it would be good to have some GWR design catering vehicles in N Gauge.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »

Glad you found it useful. An RMB plus SO, or an RU plus RFO or SO would also be possible combinations. But, I agree, it would be good to have some GWR design catering vehicles in N Gauge.

I have the SO as well, but I think the RMB is rogue in that its number appears to be from a batch fitted with commonwealth bogies, and I've been unable to identify an RU in choc. & cream fitted with an interior. 

If I have to make modifications to BachFar stock or build a GW vehicle, then a Bristolian-style solution seems to be more preferable!   ;)

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2018, 09:13:44 am »
Interesting and useful information. Whilst I have repainted a few locos and I like the idea of a Great Western coach in the rake I donít think I would be able to make a good enough model from what is available.  Due to a scarsity of SO mk1s in chocolate and cream when I was putting my rake together passengers have to use an FO. I expect there are notices in it to say it can be used by all passengers (as sometimes happened).

I have a Grange but could do with a Hall or two to get a good balance of steam locos. Of and a DJM King...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2018, 10:53:00 am »
I have quite a few choc/cream MK1s but only 2 SOs.
374-014 and 374-014A (the latter is labelled as Blue Riband)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2018, 07:41:04 pm »
Many thanks for the excellent photos., Chris. I had forgotten that you had a "Grange" and not any "Halls". Do you have a "Manor"? I do hope that you'll be able to get a "King", too.

I have two BR WR Chocolate & Cream Mark 1 SOs: W3791 (374-014A) and W4739.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:07 am »
Due to a scarsity of SO mk1s in chocolate and cream when I was putting my rake together passengers have to use an FO.

I too have both SOs which were not easy to find and came from different eBay sources. 

If it helps, W3791 came from a Cornish Riviera set which was being split.  It was accompanied by BCK W21080. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2018, 09:48:39 am »
According to the Farish list attached there were 4 SOs in choc/cream released as individual items, although how up to date the list is I'm not sure. (see pages 21/22)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything