Code of Conduct Update

Started by guest2, October 21, 2014, 05:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have updated the Code of Conduct because of an issue that occurred last week.

Members were very concerned that a member (or members) may have been buying items from the N'porium and selling them elsewhere.  Members of this forum do sell items at a reduced price from time to time to enable other less privileged members the chance to enjoy something that they might not otherwise afford, and so became disappointed that items had been bought from the N'porium and then placed on eBay. 

As members may know, we like to keep this forum a friendly community and this filters down to our members who also keep it to be a welcoming place to talk.  Of course there are always instances where arguments occur and we try our best to resolve them.  This can take time!

So from now on the NGF will not allow a member to buy items purely to sell on and make a profit.  If it's found out that someone has been profiteering then this will count as a breach of the Code of Conduct and may result in your account being closed.

It is very hard to keep everyone happy on the forum, and sometimes it's very difficult to work out who is at fault.  In this instance there were no rules about this, and no instruction from the seller that they were selling it cheaper for a member to benefit (not that they needed to of course, it was just the good will of someone on the forum).  I'd like us all to keep the friendly atmosphere on the forum going strong and cease any arguments or negative comments.  If there are genuine concerns then contact a member of staff that's online, or hit the Report to Moderator button to let us know about a post.  It's impossible for us to read every post, so we need your help to stamp out any negativity.

Many thanks,
Tank.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Tank on October 21, 2014, 05:57:47 PM
I have updated the Code of Conduct because of an issue that occurred last week.

Members were very concerned that a member (or members) may have been buying items from the N'porium and selling them elsewhere.  Members of this forum do sell items at a reduced price from time to time to enable other less privileged members the chance to enjoy something that they might not otherwise afford, and so became disappointed that items had been bought from the N'porium and then placed on eBay. 

As members may know, we like to keep this forum a friendly community and this filters down to our members who also keep it to be a welcoming place to talk.  Of course there are always instances where arguments occur and we try our best to resolve them.  This can take time!

So from now on the NGF will not allow a member to buy items purely to sell on and make a profit.  If it's found out that someone has been profiteering then this will count as a breach of the Code of Conduct and may result in your account being closed.

It is very hard to keep everyone happy on the forum, and sometimes it's very difficult to work out who is at fault.  In this instance there were no rules about this, and no instruction from the seller that they were selling it cheaper for a member to benefit (not that they needed to of course, it was just the good will of someone on the forum).  I'd like us all to keep the friendly atmosphere on the forum going strong and cease any arguments or negative comments.  If there are genuine concerns then contact a member of staff that's online, or hit the Report to Moderator button to let us know about a post.  It's impossible for us to read every post, so we need your help to stamp out any negativity.

Many thanks,
Tank.

I am outside the UK but if such a breach occurs are WE legally allowed to name and shame ?  I HOPE SO.  Publish the ebay sellers details on the forum as well as banning them from this forum.

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Tank

I think that would be a step too far.  ;)

GroupC

Bad form by whoever it was, that sort of thing isn't welcome on here.

Rob H

Will the guilty person/people please step forward ?

Bet they don't !!

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Bealman

The issue is solved. Let's just do forum stuff. :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

I purchased an 08 from Dock Shunter at a very good price it is now very busy in my yard and I wouldn't even dream of taking advantage of him by selling it at a profit I think that is deplorable behaviour and spoils the great friendship and help that some members give each other .How much profit did they make ?? and IF they were named would it be worth the shame , But I realise that naming them would only bring the bosses of the Forum down to thier level .
Bob

Bealman

The issue has been addressed.  :thumbsup:

CarriageShed

This is fine, of course, if it involves an immediate re-sale, but what about sales six months or a year later? Tastes and requirements change after all, so there has to be a fair limitation on this rule. That said, any immediate re-sale is certainly bad form and should be outlawed.

Sprintex

Quote from: Pete33 on October 22, 2014, 10:24:28 AM
. . . any immediate re-sale is certainly bad form and should be outlawed.

It has been as outlined in Tank's update above :thumbsup:

Paul

Bealman

It is an immediate resale that is the issue.  :thumbsup:

Agrippa

NGF will need a  lawyer at this rate. The "Naming and shaming" thing is irrelevant. Someone
bought stuff from a member then sold it on Ebay as he or she was perfectly entitled to do.
The point was raised that making a profit on such deals was not in keeping with the feelings
of the members. So now the CofC has been changed , but what happened previously is
history.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

This issue has been addressed.  :thumbsup:

PLD

IF it is the case I'm aware of, I understand a non-working loco was bought, repaired and sold on.

If it is that case, I see no issue. The original seller has cash for an item he clearly did not feel capable of repairing himself so would otherwise have binned; the  purchaser/reseller has put in time and effort to do the repairs so is surely entitled to some recompence for that effort?

That is a world away from the pure profiteering being hinted at in some postings...

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Agrippa on October 22, 2014, 10:40:29 AM
NGF will need a  lawyer at this rate. The "Naming and shaming" thing is irrelevant.

Unless it turns into defamation.

Someone bought stuff from a member then sold it on Ebay as he or she was perfectly entitled to do.

and still is. I suspect there is nothing Tank could do to stop it if he wanted, is a contract for the sale of goods between two parties neither of whom are Tank. Advertising policy however is another matter.

I would actually really like to see one change here though - it should be an option. If some members don't want stuff resold then yes lets respect that, if others would rather it was re-sold than not sold at all then we should respect that too.

I don't care if anyone resells stuff they bought off me on here - beats it not being sold and stuck in a drawer, but now I can't sell it that way which is just as daft as people who didn't want stuff being resold being forced to allow it.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations