Well that was a productive afternoon

Started by Dsolds, December 23, 2017, 04:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsolds

Was intending on doing a bit on the track work but instead ended up looking at the wife's hairdryer. There she was, about to spend 170 quid on a replacement because it was playing up. Ok, it is a salon professional thing which she needs due to having long and thick hair but really, 170 quid ???

Anyway, stripped it down, got the motor assembly into bits, cleaned it all up and reassembled with a drop of loco motor lubricant. I made some new carbon brushes by filing down some old drill brushes to the size I needed, blew the main case out with an airline and popped it all back together.

The end result, good as new according to She Who Must Be Obeyed and I'm not 170 quid out of pocket.  :claphappy:

Delboy

She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

MalcolmInN

:thumbsup: yep well done !

I was also thinking about brownie points in the modelling fund, after deducting a few £ for a bottle of bubbly, anyone know what the current exchange rate £/points is ??

mattycoops43

You definitely get to spend that saved money on toys! After all, a hairdryer is NOT a necessity!

Matt

outofgauge

You just don't get it -do you - Of course you can't have that money to spend -that is needed for the new dress/shoe / handbag onsomble that is required to get over the shock of the man actually doing something usefull for a change. You can't possibly need any more of that train stuff -you don't play with all you've got now.  :no: I don't even think of asking santa to bring any here -not going to happen ever !( fortunately I've got an elf who sneaks stuff in for me whilst the other half is working ! )  what do you mean new -that things is ancient- had it years is a frequent dodge !
Just play the game-works for us so far !
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

Intercity

You know can't spend that money on trains, and we all know one reason we like N gauge is because they are small enough to sneak/add to the ever growing collection.

For me it's "honey I need to check the windows downstairs, I think I left them open" as I place a couple more coaches or locomotive on the shelf 😝

gc4946

Not many people dismantle and service a hairdryer nowadays - usually if they break down, they get binned - so well done indeed!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

mattycoops43

Quote from: gc4946 on December 23, 2017, 06:17:28 PM
Not many people dismantle and service a hairdryer nowadays - usually if they break down, they get binned - so well done indeed!

I know what you mean, and you are right, but a £170 hairdryer? I would be custom making new bits!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: mattycoops43 on December 23, 2017, 06:52:20 PM
I know what you mean, and you are right, but a £170 hairdryer?

Streuth! That's about £17 per hair! :confused1:

outofgauge

Hey -the Dyson supersonic hairdryer is £300 !!!! Now that is pain !!!!  :veryangry: Imagine going out to a show armed with that !!! I agree tho -i would have it apart too.
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

ntpntpntp

Yep, have repaired SWMBO's sewing machine in the past when it blew a capacitor.  Also other simple things like replacing the brushes on the washing machine motor rather than getting a repair man in.  It's not so much the cost of a new machine  (I can't begrudge that given the amount I spend on toy trains), it's more about not wanting to throw something that may only need a minor repair.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

daffy

I haven't had the need of a hairdryer for decades, but try as I might I can't convince SWMBO to also go for a number 3 and 2 cut. :(

So when her hot brush packed up last week - just because the brush bit was connected to the motor bit by a plastic clip that had built in obsolescence  :veryangry:- she said she had to get a new one. :o

For some reason my suggestion that she could just use my practically unused Black and Decker electric paint stripper (on a low setting of course, I helpfully advised :angel:) was not considered either practical or reasonable. :no:

So, with another unnecessary expensive purchase for the good lady, yet another N Gauge loco order will have to be delayed. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Dsolds

You guys make me laugh sometimes. I am betting that those who don't need a hairdryer are the ones who are challenged in the hair follicle department  :laugh:

Anyway, after this morning's first use in anger I can happily report she says it's as good as new. I did broach the subject of spending the money saved on train stuff, but she reckons it needs to be saved incase my repair doesn't last very long. The cheek of it  :censored:

Add to that the fact she insisted I go to Tesco with her to get the last minute bits and I was grumpy enough to let the diplomacy level fall to the point where she was told that I would be using said funds come the January sales. Honestly, having just traipsed round that hideous place they call a supermarket I could easily believe it was Armageddon that was coming, not Christmas.

Overall though it was just a feeling of satisfaction repairing it myself. I hate waste and really don't like this age where everything seems to be disposable rather than fixable. Last month it was the dishwasher and the Mrs was ready to go to John Lewis to buy another one. Once I had removed the blockage from the drain pump all was well again. It's the same for everything almost, even the Dualit toaster I bought years ago, bought because it is infinitely fixable and spares are cheap enough. One slot goes pop and she's off to buy a whole new toaster .... until I disabused her of that crazy idea  ;)

Right then chaps, what should I spend my ill gotten gains on then? Anyone got a Minitrix Flying Scotsman for sale?  :laugh:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations