Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talisman56

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 07:28:04 AM
My first pint in a pub was Starlight.

It came in a nobbly beer glass with a handle.

It had bubbles in it.

It was greeny/yellow in colour.

It had very little 'head' on it.

It tasted like..........

Well, let's just say it had a taste, but what of I never quite worked out. And on a Family Friendly Forum like this I can't give a more apt answer. :no:

Sounds like the stuff you should pour straight down the toilet and avoid the middleman... :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Hailstone

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 07:28:04 AM
My first pint in a pub was Starlight.

It came in a nobbly beer glass with a handle.

It had bubbles in it.

It was greeny/yellow in colour.

It had very little 'head' on it.

It tasted like..........

Well, let's just say it had a taste, but what of I never quite worked out. And on a Family Friendly Forum like this I can't give a more apt answer. :no:

Ah - Watney's attempt to market canal er I mean coloured water

Regards,

Alex

daffy

Rumour had it that it was brewed sourced in a small room at the back of each pub and fed directly to the pumps. ;)

It's alcohol content was very low - either that or I had an extraordinary tolerance as a teenager cos you could drink gallons of the stuff without getting even remotely 'merry'. But then I discovered Guiness, followed later by Old Hooky, from the Hook Norton brewery. Now I'm alcohol intolerant and therefore tee-total. Which is why I have spare money to buy trains! :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Malc

The one really big advantage of Watney's red barrel was the pubs had illuminated red barrels outside. They were easy to spot and avoid.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

The Q

Have you noticed the outbreak of party 4 or 7 type barrels this year? Let's hope the contents are better than before...

talisman56

Quote from: Malc on June 30, 2018, 02:44:08 PM
The one really big advantage of Watney's red barrel was the pubs had illuminated red barrels outside. They were easy to spot and avoid.

...similarly the red square with golden bird that were the cue to 'take Courage'.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

joe cassidy

The beer adverts on TV were great in the 70s.

In the Midlands the local breweries kept up with the nationals - "Brew XI - for the Men of the Midlands" :

"Ave yer seen that Doreeen ?"

Ian Bowden

Quote from: daffy on June 30, 2018, 01:18:05 PM
Rumour had it that it was brewed sourced in a small room at the back of each pub and fed directly to the pumps. ;)

It's alcohol content was very low - either that or I had an extraordinary tolerance as a teenager cos you could drink gallons of the stuff without getting even remotely 'merry'. But then I discovered Guiness, followed later by Old Hooky, from the Hook Norton brewery. Now I'm alcohol intolerant and therefore tee-total. Which is why I have spare money to buy trains! :D
Yes it was only just above the level where it could be served to children

themadhippy

QuoteHave you noticed the outbreak of party 4 or 7 type barrels this year? Let's hope the contents are better than before...
Do you mean 5 liter mini kegs? you can get some very good ale in them,but there also available  with heineken etc  if you've no taste buds.
QuoteThe beer adverts on TV were great in the 70s.
How many do you remember
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Hailstone

all but a couple were for horrible English lager with a foreign name or even worse, KEG beer! only Courage Best, Bass (Charringtons) and Trumans are still brewed as real ales, but not by the original breweries.

Regards.

Alex

Webbo

Here is a couple from Oz from a few decades ago:

The ads were pretty funny, but the 4x beer is not much chop IMO.

Webbo

Bealman

Yeah I remember those ads!

Oddly enough, I don't mind Fourex.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

javlinfaw7

Our local Innes and Gunn micro Brewery pub offers 5 litre Kegs of their quality fresh in house products .

cycletrak9

I did my early drinking in south-west London and I remember that Watneys had a "cooking" bitter called Watneys Special. This was around a penny a pint cheaper than Red Barrel and not quite as fizzy. It was the beer of choice for our Friday session.As lowly articled clerks we were paid weekly in cash and four pints of Specail left enough change from a ten bob note for fish and chips on the way home.

I once heard Starlight described as "like swimming across the Thames with a hop in your mouth"

Bealman

That whole post makes me chuckle.

Thanks!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations