Farish / Dapol Collectors clubs ?

Started by Westbury, April 01, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on January 12, 2017, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: austinbob on January 12, 2017, 12:34:56 PM

Also, the trouble with catalogues is that it could be year or two before new items are on the shelves.
:beers:

If it's only 2 years then things will have improved :D

As for the duplication, just look at what's going on with the class 92. Also, I wonder how many folks wish Farish had produced the 9F and not Dapol :hmmm:
This looks like another post to be transferred to the angry thread NN!!  ??? :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RailGooner

I'm a member of Dapol's club, having recently re-joined after a ten year hiatus. I'm not a member of Bachmann's club.

I know that Dapol's club exclusives are limited to one per member, but do Bachmann impose the same restriction? Because if Bachmann do, then I don't understand how a trader can carpetbag themselves half a dozen of an exclusive model.

Example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Farish-374-080K-BR-Mk1-BCK-Coach-Pullman-Car-No-355-Collectors-Club-BNIB-/252753763046?hash=item3ad94c5ae6:g:XFMAAOSwNuxXYcyU

???

Newportnobby

I have purchased a couple of Collectors Club items from 'normal' shops, one of them being a late crest Black 5 'The Glasgow Highlander' ref 372-137K (where the K signifies Collectors Club) so they find their way out into the wide world somehow.

austinbob

I quite often see Farish collectors club items on ebay. Rails ebay have a Queen Mary brake at the silly price of nearly £50. KGB have a Pullman brake for a smidge under £50. Rails ebay frequently have the club's sets of three wagons.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RailGooner

Yes @newportnobby me too. I've got a shop bought club exclusive British Steel liveried 60. The shop in question had only one and I know the proprietor was a club member. The shop was closing (well, relocating) and it was found hiding at the back. The proprietor knew it was my kinda thing and offered it to me, at cost.

I don't have a problem with a shop buying one and selling it on. Let them make a profit too. It's the obvious carpetbagging that I'm questioning. And I wonder to what extent Bachmann facilitate this.

austinbob

From what I can see from the club website, You can't order more than one at a time but you can go back and order a second one after you've purchased one.
Maybe you can repeat this several times. Can't confirm this is correct without actually completing the order for a second (or subsequent) item.
You obviously have to be a club member to do this.

Bob Austin

PLD

Quote from: RailGooner on February 11, 2017, 12:37:03 PMI know that Dapol's club exclusives are limited to one per member, but do Bachmann impose the same restriction? Because if Bachmann do, then I don't understand how a trader can carpetbag themselves half a dozen of an exclusive model.
Dont complain too loudly, including P&P his price is 3 quid cheaper than the next best of the 5 currently on there!!  :goggleeyes:

PLD

Quote from: newportnobby on February 11, 2017, 01:06:51 PM
I have purchased a couple of Collectors Club items from 'normal' shops, one of them being a late crest Black 5 'The Glasgow Highlander' ref 372-137K (where the K signifies Collectors Club) so they find their way out into the wide world somehow.
After they have been sold by Farish, like any other product or supplier there is no restriction on who the purchaser can sell them on to, either trade or other modellers or at what price. Sometimes yes it is pure profiteering - there was one individual who listed at least half a dozen N gauge Society Thompson's within a couple of weeks of them being released; other times it is a genuine modeller changing their mind on scale/era or whatever trading in stock for something else...

Personally, I've also purchased a couple of Collectors Club items direct from Farish despite not being a member having picked up from their 'returns' pile at exhibitions including that same Glasgow Highlander.

johnlambert

Quote from: newportnobby on February 11, 2017, 01:06:51 PM

Same here, my local shop has had a few Collectors Club editions (The Glasgow Highlander is still available from him, I think).  I'm trying to remember what the proprietor said; I think slow selling models are offered to the trade.

austinbob

Just received Dapol collectors' club magazine. Very nice article about weathering FYI.

Bob Austin

ChrisWV10

Just seen on Bachmann collectors club page all club models are 20% off in June. The SDJR 4F is now only 79.95, intercity 08 is 58.40 and Fairburn 95.96. Cheaper than the non club models! Worth the membership for the saving. Also applies to the wagons but the savings are obviously smaller.

Paid full price for mine last year (all 3)

C.  :veryangry:

dannyboy

Just to put a plug in for the Bachmann Club - I noticed last week that my membership card was for 2016, no idea what I have done with the 2017 card  ???. I sent an email off to Bachmann explaining this and asking if I needed a current card and, if so, I was quite prepared to pay for one and/or postage. I received a reply a few days later stating they would send me a new card and refused to accept any payment. Excellent customer service  :thumbsup:.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

davidinyork

I've just joined the Dapol collectors club solely because I wanted to buy the 66779 model (which is excellent). As regards the stuff they send you, they've clearly put effort into it but I'm not sure that it's entirely well-directed. I don't particularly want the 2014-15 catalogue which they sent (I did have one and it went in the bin ages ago), the badge is fairly pointless, and as regards the binder for the magazines - well, they could make that an extra you could buy if you wanted it - I'm not sure how many people tend to file and keep railway-related magazines after they've read them.

Also a load of bits of paper about various things, including saying that future catalogues will be a folder which they will send out, and new models after that will have sheets available to print out. What's the point of that? The basic information they give on the prototype is much less detailed than many online sources (including Wikipedia), and a simple list of model number / loco number / name / livery, which would fit on a few sides of A4 for the year, would probably be sufficient for those who keep details of such things.

Perhaps it would be better if they offered an online-only option (perhaps with a slightly reduced cost)? I can't imagine I'm alone in only really joining to buy a specific model, and although I will read the magazines, a downloadably PDF on the members section of the website would be fine. I didn't really want all the junk which came through the post!

dannyboy

Another plug for Bachmann. I wanted a particular item of which the website stated there was only one available, so I logged in during the early hours of Sunday morning. For some reason, when I got to the place order bit, the website just sat there - the 'roundy roundy' bit was going, well, 'roundy roundy', but nothing was happening.  :(. Eventually, after leaving the site and reconnecting a number of times, nothing had changed. I fired off an email asking that if the item was still available, would they let me know by email and I would then ring them and pay over the 'phone. 3.15pm this afternoon, my mobile phone rings. It was Richard from the club ringing me - in Ireland! The item was still available so was bought there and then  :). As an aside, I also belong to the Dapol club and have never had a problem, but just thought I would let peoples know how good the customer service is at Bachmann.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations