!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Configuration of braking function on Zimo MX622N  (Read 327 times)

Offline MoonGoddess

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Configuration of braking function on Zimo MX622N
« on: May 31, 2018, 06:03:08 pm »
I have a Graham Farish Class 37 that is from their Highlander set. It was DCC out of the box and configured with function 5 controlling the braking.

Iíve been trying to mimic this on my other Zimo equipped DCC trains with limited success. Iíve managed to edit CV 309 and 349 to enable the braking function, which works almost the same as the Class 37. The one bit of it I cannot work out how to do is the "handbrake".

When you leave the brake function turned on with the Class 37 (it is set as a switch function) you cannot accelerate from a halt unless it is disengaged, where as the other trains they ignore the brake function being on and start moving from a halt.

Iíve been through the Zimo manual several times but cannot find anything to change to make it work the same as my Class 37.

Any help appreciated.

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
Re: Configuration of braking function on Zimo MX622N
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:10:38 pm »
Change the value in CV394. This is a multi-function CV so I can't give you the value to use as it may affect other settings, but I can tell you how to calculate the figure to use.

Read the current value in CV394. to this, add 64 then use the new total as the value to write to CV394.

eg if the value in CV394 = 0, then change this to 64, if it reads 16 currently, then write value 80 to CV394.

Don't try any handbrake turns!

Best regards,

Paul

BTW, you will find  that you can apply the brake key at any speed. The effect will be to prevent further acceleration, but will give the braking effect when throttle setting is reduced.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:12:31 pm by pauliebanger »

Offline MoonGoddess

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:22:18 pm »
Hi Paul,

Thank you ever so much, it worked perfectly and has solved many weeks of trouble trying to work out how it was set :)

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »
No problem, glad you solved it.

As I designed the progressive brake feature for ZIMO I have a bit of a head start over everyone else. LOL

Best regards,

Paul

Offline MoonGoddess

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:25 am »
Hi Paul,

Iíve been experimenting with the braking system and Iíve found a preference for progressive braking via holding the F2 key (I set CV 4 to 100 and CV 349 to 6, and changed CV 394 back to default)

The only thing I miss is that when the train is stationary holding the brake key doesnít stop the train moving. Is it possible to do this without changing how the braking system works, or do I have to choose between the two braking styles?

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:52 am »
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

CV394 current value plus 64 sets the brake function to hold the loco stationary even if you accelerate.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:16:17 pm by pauliebanger »

Offline MoonGoddess

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »
Hi Paul,

My misunderstanding regarding the adjustment to CV394.

Originally I purchased The Highlander train set which came with a Bachmann EZ Command. The Class 37 included had a brake function, which if you pressed F5 it enabled you to brake by turning down the throttle on the controller (holding down the brake key did nothing on it)

Iím now using a Z21 and wanted to originally mimic the behaviour of the Bachmann controller, hence my original question (when I edited CV394 I changed the brake function on the Z21 from a push button to a switch and used the throttle to brake).

Since then Iíve been reading up and tried out using the brake function as a button press instead (I also put Cv394 back to its original value)

Didnít realise you could brake either by throttle or button when adding 64 to CV394 (if the button is programmed as a switch the throttle brakes the locomotive and if it is a push button pressing the button down brakes the locomotive).

Sorry for the confusion.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:37:16 pm by MoonGoddess »

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 03:41:07 pm »
OK, I see.

There is a LokSound decoder in the Class 37.

The ESU brake featured is very crude in comparison with the unmatched features of the ZIMO implementation.

If you want to downgrade to that method alone, it's a simple job on ZIMO, but why would you?

Paul

Offline MoonGoddess

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:27 pm »
The Class 37 has a Zimo (I donít have any Loksoundís at the moment).

The problem was due to me making a faulty assumption based on the original controller which did not allow for ďpush buttonĒ brake operation (the brake function was a switch with the throttle controlling the braking)

It was only after your reply today, I started to re-analyse everything and see that I already had the option of ďpush buttonĒ braking but it wasnít working as I had the brake button set to a switch and not a button.

Probably doesnít help Iíve only been back to the hobby a month after spending a few decades away (Iíve been doing a huge amount of reading to understand DCC and CV settings etc
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:25:16 am by MoonGoddess »

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:45 pm »
Sorry, my mistake.

Paul

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00