!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 27459 times)

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2018, 06:41:29 am »
Good  Morning

That Duchess looks lovely. Magnificent locomotives.
Sadly, growing up in the far South, I saw very fee apart from some rather wobegone examples at Crewe late in the day.
My own preference is green for these lovely engined but your example does look majestic.
I do hope that you and Poppy enjoy running her.
All the best
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2018, 07:44:28 am »
Cor, Mrs Keithbythe seaís favourite loco.
I donít currently run steam on Sonmel. Maybe if I got one of these it could be used in negotiations for the extension.... ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:41 am »
Many thanks, chaps.

Good  Morning
That Duchess looks lovely. Magnificent locomotives.
Sadly, growing up in the far South, I saw very fee apart from some rather wobegone examples at Crewe late in the day.
My own preference is green for these lovely engined but your example does look majestic.
All the best
Martin

The trouble is that I was born too late!  I can just remember seeing steam locomotives in service at Kilmarnock and Ardrossan.  That would probably have been in 1965.  Our local branch line closed in April 1964 when I was five.  But I can remember travelling in a railbus, sitting up the front and being amazed at the complex patterns of the rails at pointwork.

With regard to the BR liveries carried by the 'Princess Coronations', I certainly agree with you.  I travelled behind Duchess of Sutherland a couple of years ago when she was green.  Not that long ago, I had a business trip to Brum and engineered a lot of time to spare before travelling home.  An ideal opportunity to see City of Birmingham - imprisoned but resplendent in BR green as applied by BR.

Cor, Mrs Keithbythe sea’s favourite loco.
I don’t currently run steam on Sonmel. Maybe if I got one of these it could be used in negotiations for the extension.... ;)

Clearly a lady of exquisite taste!

Yes - will probably work.  Perhaps if used in conjunction with gorgeous flowers and a jolly fine dinner.  The world would then be your lobster for an extension.
And wouldn't it look wonderful on Sonmel?  The present day version looks amazing but I wanted an older model as I have a weakness for diecast metal locomotives.  I am on the lookout for a nice Poole-built one as No. 6233 is a Chinese model.

All the very best.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2018, 09:17:04 am »
I grew up with them all in green.  But towards the end of the fifties a few of the crack expresses appeared in all maroon, hauled by a maroon pacific.  Not many pacifics were converted from BR green, but enough to haul all the crack expresses.  The Princess Royals looked particularly fetching in maroon.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:50 am »
I grew up with them all in green.  But towards the end of the fifties, a few of the crack expresses appeared in all maroon, hauled by a maroon pacific.  Not many Pacifics were converted from BR green, but enough to haul all the crack expresses.  The Princess Royals looked particularly fetching in maroon.

I like the ex-LMS Pacifics in both BR Green and BR Maroon liveries but BR Maroon would be my preference. BR Lined Green livery with the Late BR Crest seemed to have suited a very wide variety of passenger locos.

No. 6233 "Duchess of Sutherland" does indeed look very fine in LMS Maroon.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
All the best
Martin

With regard to the BR liveries carried by the 'Princess Coronations', I certainly agree with you.  I travelled behind Duchess of Sutherland a couple of years ago when she was green.

Specially for Martin and John then.........................

https://www.dropbox.com/s/baza4j9uq2iknaf/Duchess%20of%20Sutherland%20at%20Euxton.MOV?dl=0

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »
Many thanks for this film, Mick.  That's how she was turned out when I travelled round the 'Forth Circle' with her - BR green with the early emblem.  I asked the driver how she compared with 'No. 9', which I had travelled with a couple of times on this route and he replied, "Aboot the same." [Anglice: 'very similar']  It is always interesting to hear what the footplate crews make of an engine.

And I am glad to report that the blue and yellow diesel locomotive was not in evidence that day!

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2018, 04:03:59 pm »
As you can tell I only just got to the platform in time! :sweat:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:41 pm »
Go East, Young Man!

Hello Chums

'Young man' might be pushing things a bit but, following the 'Princess Coronation' picture yesterday, we've gone East today.  And it's a green engine - LNER green.

[D16/3 'Super Claud' No. 8828 eases a Down train into the platform on a fine summer's afternoon.]

This recently-acquired Union Mills 'D16/3' is a real beauty.  She is running with all the grace and poise associated with a good British inside-cylinder 4-4-0.  The photograph is unkind to the painted safety valves and whistle.  I had better attend to these.

By the way, as an experiment, I took another photograph using the automatic 'close-up' setting on the camera which caused the flash to... flash!  The result is a very different effect. 

With all best wishes from the Table-Top Railway.

Thank you for looking.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:37 pm »
A fine machine indeed although my knowledge of all things LNER is somewhat minimal.
I do recognise a lovely looking locomotive when I see one though.
Iím sure that  Poppy approves of the recent acquisition.
It reminds me that the good folk of the CLPG have an ex LNER loco in their charge and need to give it another run out in the near future.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:33 pm »
A fine machine indeed although my knowledge of all things LNER is somewhat minimal.
I do recognise a lovely looking locomotive when I see one though.
Iím sure that  Poppy approves of the recent acquisition.
It reminds me that the good folk of the CLPG have an ex LNER loco in their charge and need to give it another run out in the near future.

Yes please!  The CLPG's 'B12/3' is a lovely engine.  She would look wonderful sitting in the bay platform at Port Perran with an excursion train.

Poppy does like the 'D16/3' although she has not had much time in the train set room over the past couple of days.  She was at the vet for her three-monthly check-up yesterday and has, as usual, retired to bed to recover from the ordeal.  She is not too keen on diesels and the Dapol NBL 'Type 2' B-B's recent attempt to create a conflagration has not improved matters.  Being a Lothian Cat, what she would really like is a North British 'Atlantic'.  How about it Union Mills?

Many thanks, Martin.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:43 am »
I hope Poppy has fully recovered from her check-up.

D16/3 'Super Claud' No. 8828 does look very elegant with the train of LNER varnished teak coaches. The automatic 'close-up' setting does result in a superior photo. A North British Railway 'Atlantic' would be an excellent addition.

I believe the ex-SR T9s were the last 4-4-0s to run on BR in everyday service. The CLPG is eagerly awaiting the results of Eastleigh Works's heavy general overhauls [Douglas at Wickness and Gideon]. The members and local enthusiasts are keeping their fingers and toes crossed that they will have some definite news in July.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2018, 09:27:42 pm »
Many thanks, Chris.

I must admit that I like the automatic close up photograph although it has very poor depth of field.  On second thoughts, maybe that is why I like it as the locomotive stands out clearly.

That's very interesting about the last class of 4-4-0 in normal service.  What a shame that the magnificent 'Schools' Class was withdrawn early.  A combination of electrification and a plethora of 'Bulleid Pacifics', I expect.

The last ex-Caledonian Railway Pickersgill '113' Class was withdrawn in December 1962.  There were eight in service at the start of that year.  It was hoped that the last survivor would be preserved but that was not to be.  When was the last 'T9' in normal service withdrawn?

Poppy is in better form today, thank you.  I got a lovely welcome when I returned from my expedition this evening!

Thanks again and best wishes.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2018, 04:43:16 pm »
Brassed Off

It's a wet Saturday afternoon here between the Forth and the Tweed, so ideal for some time in the train set room.  I mentioned earlier that the lovely Union Mills 'D16/3' 'Super Claud' could do with some attention to its whistle and safety valves.  This has now been done:

Proper modellers and those of a nervous disposition are advised to go to another thread immediately.  I suggest something like @Atso workbench thread to see how an expert craftsman goes about things.

Well, as you are still here, this is the embarrassing bit.  I used the Gold one of these:

And the Bronze one is ideal (to me, anyway) for GWR copper chimney caps.  I've not found a use for the Silver one yet.  But these are blunt instruments and I'm a clumsy old bodger.  Some sort of protection is required for the parts that are not to be brassed off.

I used to cut little strips of masking tape and then I found this brilliant 2mm wide stuff.  It is totally tickety-boo for this job.  The masking takes a lot longer than the painting.

Here, if you are interested, is a jackdaw's eye-view of the shiny bits:

I quite like that last picture as it sort of slightly captures the elusive 'look' that I'm after.  Please think pre-Norris 1930s '0' gauge or 1950s '00'.  And No. 8828 runs as good as she looks.

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:13 pm »
A small but very noticeable improvement, John. Well worth the work.

That looks like proper masking tape. (I've used something similar and it's very good. When I have not used masking tape, I have regretted it. It's well worth the minimal expense and the extra time and effort.)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything