Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Quote from: talisman56 on October 19, 2018, 04:10:10 PM
Things you remember. My first pay packet was £37.10 net for a week and the first time I filled the tank on my first car petrol was 37p a gallon...

I started work (an electrical apprenticeship) in 1980 and my gross pay was £33 per week or 78p per hour. However, I actually took home £151 due to the amount of overtime I did. I blew £120 of it on a Panasonic music system, exactly like this one.

First single played on it was Sgt Rock by XTC. Those were the days  :thumbsup:

Model trains were out of my life at that point.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Flippin' 'eck. When I started work, a week before my 16th birthday, I got £6 a week and that was only because the bosses were that impressed with me, (says he  ;)), they gave me a half crown, (12½p in modern money), raise before I even started.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daveg

Guess we are roughly the same age @dannyboy!

I got the £8 by leaving a £5 local lab rat job and commuting into Smithfield. Got a weekly 'workman's season ticket/pass (first train out of Watford Met) for twelve and something so was still better off.

Dave G

Bob Tidbury

My first job was an apprentice in a Bakery at  £3-7s -6d a week for variable  hours every week ,which was by the way the cost of my very first brand new loco several years later .I went on after going to night school at Hanger Lane to be a qualified Pastry Chef in the old sense of the name NOT a confectioner which is what I would call a Pastry Chef now , it was very hard work but  a very rewarding job when you saw a few trays of Danish  pastries  or Apple turnovers sausage rolls or even Cornish pasties come out of the oven ,I left the trade because all the small bakeries were closing down plus I lost all my school mates because while they were down the pub or going to gigs I was tucked up in bed ready for the early start in the morning .
But they were very happy days .I have had many types of work since then
though. But that will be another post in the Happy Days thread another time .
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

Quote from: daveg on October 19, 2018, 10:01:13 PM
Guess we are roughly the same age

I am only 35 .............. hang on, that's the age of my mind!  :). I am afraid I can neither confirm nor deny what you are alleging @daveg  (but I did start getting my old age pension nearly 18 months ago).  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

I've only read about this £/s/d thing in books. I didn't realise until now that there are still people around who actually USED them. And even more surprisingly they remember using them too  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

if I remember correctly [ not a definite ] when I completed training and was posted to my first unit, in NI in 1968, my pay [as an LAC acting Corporal [unpaid]] was around £30 a month, though I was fed, housed and clothed in addition.
and I was much better off than mates in civvie street.

MalcolmInN

Ha ha !  happy days , not only do I remember using £/s/d I am still getting my head round this £p stuff  ;D
I even remember using £5 notes that resembled a large white handkerchief ( < things people used before the invention of tissues and kitchen roll)  like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/English-White-Five-Pound-Note-/332845022751

I also remember my father at his desk doing his accounts in the days when £sd was entered into three columns in a ledger with a fountain pen. To enter the total of the page, to be carried forward,  in a space at the bottom he would put 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers , one on each column, and run up the page adding in his head each entry and jot down the total. Same again but running down the page, if the two totals matched it would be entered.  Me ? no never achieved that, I could only use one finger at a time on the d, then the s then on the £ column.

My first gallon of petrol and first pint of beer cost a shilling, and the other ninepence (pennies, not pees),,,,  but it is so long ago I cant remember which way round they were !! :-(

NinOz

These days are ours
Happy and free. (Oh Happy Days)
These days are ours
Share them with me.(Oh baby)
These Happy Days are yours and mine (oh Happy Days)
These Happy Days are yours and mine (oh Happy Days)
These Happy Days are yours and mine, Happy Days.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

daffy

Ah, Fonz fond memories! :D

I can remember my first monthly pay packet was about £51, and well before that I got 7/6 (7 shillings and 6 pence, or 37.5p in this new-fangled money we have now) for delivering 89 evening newspapers six days a week.

And internet was where the fish went when I went angling with my mate.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

BobB

When the new decimal money came out, I went to the bank where a close friend worked and wrote a check carefully calculated to get an example of every new coin. Couldn't get a half penny piece though ! I was rewarded with a gift pack in a folder !

daveg

Quote from: Trainfish on October 19, 2018, 10:51:07 PM
I've only read about this £/s/d thing in books. I didn't realise until now that there are still people around who actually USED them. And even more surprisingly they remember using them too  :goggleeyes:

:P :D

Dave G

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

I still have a 10s note, and fond memories of collecting the paper round money in £/s/d. Not so fond memories of it changing and the confusion amongst my customers.

daveg

Quote from: Bealman on October 20, 2018, 07:33:46 AM
Not funny, Dave  >:D

Made me smile, George. Especially the bit about remembering!

I was in charge of converting our huge in-house printed catalogue from £sd to £p. Inevitably, 'rounding up' took place so margins improved until we started buying more stock in.

There were stories of OAPs being conned by being given filed down half crowns (2/6 = 25p) for the new fangled 50p piece. The 50p was much larger than the one we have now.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations