Simple Welcome Information Guide

Started by Tdm, April 02, 2015, 11:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Almost daily now we get new members joining the Forum, I was one myself not all that long ago.

Most moderators and one or two others always make a post welcoming them, but I just wondered whether anyone has considered creating a "New Members" Section containing basic information in it that would be useful to someone using the Forum for the first time, and containing Links to some threads that a new member might find useful.

I know that whenever we get someone new staying in one of our Rental Apartments in Tenerife for the first time we always provide them with a welcome booklet with information in it on places to visit, where to eat, etc., and a local map with good bars, restaurants, etc., marked on it.

A new member making a first post on the NGF could perhaps trigger an automatic response with a Link to the "New Member Information Guide".

I am not saying do away with the "personal" individual responses given, as I am sure these are always appreciated, but a quick guide on how to get started using the Forum
(posting basics, inserting images, popular topics etc.,), might be very useful also.

Perhaps there is something along these lines already available, and I apologise if I haven't already noticed something that is already there. I know there currently is a "Welcome & Information" Section at the top when you click on "Forum", but I was thinking of something simpler and basic, like the "quick guide" you get say with a new PC, Printer, or TV that helps you get started & set up without haven't to read through a complicated Manual. 

Just a thought.

MalcolmInN

Gosh !
That is a bit of a Magnum Opus you propose,
or - after you gunga din :)

Bealman

We currently have a Help and FAQ button and NGF Links button at the top of the page.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

I agree that what George said, plus the forum Code of Conduct, goes a long way to helping newbies. What I do find is that many first posts contain minimal detail which elicits lots of questions regarding space, era, locations etc which prompts more communication between us all, rather than too many first posts from folks which seem to be the last we hear from them.
Your idea is a worthy one, Terry, but I do prefer the 'pulling teeth' method in some strange way :hmmm:

Tdm

Quote from: newportnobby on April 03, 2015, 09:59:59 AM
I agree that what George said, plus the forum Code of Conduct, goes a long way to helping newbies. What I do find is that many first posts contain minimal detail which elicits lots of questions regarding space, era, locations etc which prompts more communication between us all, rather than too many first posts from folks which seem to be the last we hear from them.
Your idea is a worthy one, Terry, but I do prefer the 'pulling teeth' method in some strange way :hmmm:

I did apologise if I was covering something that was already there, but don't mention  "pulling teeth" - my Dentist pulled all my top ones years ago, but I still have all my bottom ones bar one for which I have a false one on a bridge (not a Kibri bridge though).

Many years ago when I was a Computer Manager (wasn't called I.T. then) I used to write guide books for new employees who would be working a dumb computer terminal or PC for the first time, and these were deemed essential.

Each year I also produced a "Computer Services" guide book which detailled all the computer services available that the Council offered and how to use them for those permitted to do so. It was a Welsh Council so everything had to be bi-lingual, but my Welsh (Cymraeg) was not very good so had to have an interpreter assist me.

port perran

I quite like the idea in principle  but where to start is a real problem I think.
We'd probably all disagree on what is to be said and covered and in what way.
I tend to agree with Mick in that an initial hello thread usually invokes several replies which probably leads the newbie to where he/she needs to go.
I like the idea though if it can be achieved in some way.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations