Here I go (again) - moving home.

Started by NTrain, December 14, 2016, 09:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webbo

Your landlord sounds like a miserable piece of work. You'll be better off in the long run well clear of him I expect.

In the meantime, my sincere sympathies to you and I really do hope that things will work out for you with your back and accommodation situation.

Webbo

Newportnobby

Good grief, Bob! Sounds like your landlord would only be satisfied if dead people moved in ::)
No visits from grandchildren? Too many boxes? What planet is he living on? :censored:
I hope things improve for you very soon, both healthwise and accommodation wise.

Sprintex

Sadly we had an experience like that a couple of years ago :(

Moved into a nice house, but after less than a month we were told we weren't allowed to park on the road outside the house, even though plenty of other people did. No reason given, no parking restrictions in force, but think it was just so the old lady opposite's gardener could park right outside her house. Then we weren't allowed to work on our own cars in the driveway if it was going to make a noise. Next we weren't allowed to work in our own cars even if it WASN'T going to make a noise. The restrictions kept coming for no apparent reason, the Letting Agent couldn't understand it either since we made no noise or bothered anyone, House and garden always kept clean and tidy. Moved out after less than a year.

Luckily we seem to have found the ideal place now. Landlord is quick to come and fix any problem, but otherwise leaves us alone and said treat the place as your own. Hope you have the same luck Bob :thumbsup:

Paul

Bealman

I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.  My sympathies, Bob, and good luck. Let's hope you end up in a similar situation to Paul.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mito

That's bad news. Your landlord is going beyond the law. Take a visit to your citizens advice bureau to see where you stand. I hope you can get your back sorted.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

NTrain

D day approaches. After the 21st of June we could be homeless.

Due to me being out of work, we are unable to get a private rental again. We are on the council housing list, but there are very few properties coming up in our area. My health problems dictate the need for ground floor only.

The only properties showing would mean a great increase in travel for my wife, and, at least, two thirds of her wages going in petrol. That is, if the car survives the extra use. It is showing signs of it's age unfortunately. It eats oil like nobodies business and there are signs of the clutch getting worn.

davidinyork

Sounds a pretty crap situation to be in - and it highlights the problem with renting in this country: tenants have pretty much no rights at all, and those which there are can mostly be flouted by a landlord with impunity as they hold all the cards. Assured Shorhold Tenancies aren't really worth the paper they are printed on.

You do have to wonder why some landlords behave like this, though - the only thing I can think is that they have a contract with the letting agent whereby they get paid even if the property is empty, but even so I'd have though those sort of agreements have clauses meaning no pay out if the landlord insists on kicking out sitting tenants without a good reason.

I'm also in the position of having to move in the next few months (been there ten years) as my landlord wants to expand the building and then rent it again - I've been told I can have first refusal if I want to move back, but I rather doubt if I will take this up given that it'll mean increased rent and council tax. Living in a city with two universities doesn't make it any easier to find somewhere, and pushes rents up. At least I'm in work though, and the city is big enough that places are coming up all the time, so I'm sure I'll find somewhere in the next few months.

Newportnobby

Quote from: NTrain on May 17, 2017, 03:37:53 PM
D day approaches. After the 21st of June we could be homeless.

Due to me being out of work, we are unable to get a private rental again. We are on the council housing list, but there are very few properties coming up in our area. My health problems dictate the need for ground floor only.

The only properties showing would mean a great increase in travel for my wife, and, at least, two thirds of her wages going in petrol. That is, if the car survives the extra use. It is showing signs of it's age unfortunately. It eats oil like nobodies business and there are signs of the clutch getting worn.

I really suggest you do two things:-

(a) contact your local newspaper + radio station or whatever media is locally based and give them your story.
(b) contact your local M.P.
My 83 year old mother has found hers to be extremely helpful.

daveg

Just picked this thread up.

So sorry to read your news.

Hope that you can get something sorted very quickly.

Hope also that you take Mick's advice.

All the best.

dave G

Ian Bowden

Your landlord should be happy getting someone who doesn't abuse the property and pays the rent. That is really  all a landlord should want. Seems like your landlord needs a lesson in reality, getting  problem tenants can cost thousands in repairs and lost income.

Mike Hamilton

I hope things get sorted out for the better and that your health improves.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Bealman

Echoed. All the very best, Bob.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NTrain

Just a quick update. Life gets no easier, with still nowhere to move to.

The council keep on turning down our bids, despite being on the highest priority.  :(

Having said that, we are looking at a ground floor flat on Tuesday. The location is quite good, but it is quite small. However, it does have walls and a roof.

It seems that my back problem is worse.  I have osteoporosis and a vertebral osteoporotic fracture. I also have narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbar area with the worst being at L5. A bit of a mouthful :)

daveg

Really sorry to read about about your back problems.

Good luck for Tuesday.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: NTrain on June 10, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
However, it does have walls and a roof.

Just slightly worried you haven't mentioned floors, Bob :worried:

Don't give up haranguing the council as they'll let it slide.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations