World Cup 2018

Started by Bealman, June 16, 2018, 07:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardap

I believe it is only the captain that is supposed to speak to the Ref, unfortunately until a Ref dishes out some yellows for being surrounded it won't change.

I think a yellow should be a sin bin 7-10 mins as that would really impact the game so players might think twice about it, if there had been a sin bin (or two) regardless of the lack of red it would have changed the game.

A wins a win, pleased we got over the penalty curse and also the ITV curse  :D

Newportnobby

To heck with a 'sin bin'. Considering where they are I think anyone sent off should qualify as a winner of a week's holiday in Siberia. Might make the riff raff (great description @broadsword )think twice.

port perran

I watch football a lot (having seen Bristol City play well over 1200 times) and have witnessed a general deterioration of player behaviour and respect commensurate with society in general.
It is high time that referees are given power to a) issue a yellow card for any player talking back b) immediately issue a red for continued argument c) an immediate red card for simulation d) sensible bans for red cards and,say, 3 yellow cards.
The football associations and managers must equally take this seriously. Fines and bans for players mustbe realistic.
OK there will be games spoiled by sendings off but players and clubs will very quickly get the message.
Football has be ome soft (Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris wouldn't last two mins these days) and so have the authorities.
Now is the time to act.
Rant over .
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Quote from: port perran on July 04, 2018, 09:59:30 AM
I watch football a lot (having seen Bristol City play well over 1200 times) and have witnessed a general deterioration of player behaviour and respect commensurate with society in general.
It is high time that referees are given power to a) issue a yellow card for any player talking back b) immediately issue a red for continued argument c) an immediate red card for simulation d) sensible bans for red cards and,say, 3 yellow cards.
The football associations and managers must equally take this seriously. Fines and bans for players mustbe realistic.
OK there will be games spoiled by sendings off but players and clubs will very quickly get the message.
Football has be ome soft (Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris wouldn't last two mins these days) and so have the authorities.
Now is the time to act.
Rant over .

Well said, Sir.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

:NGF: I nearly broke the Thank You button there with so many fine posts to this thread since my last.

Quote from: port perran on July 04, 2018, 09:59:30 AM
Now is the time to act.
Rant over .

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately though, football today is run by TV and media companies. And they want as few red cards as possible and as few interruptions as possible. IIRC one rule requires a minimum of seven team members on the field - drop to six players and your team forfeit the match. What would the TV companies have done if England had been awarded the match after 45 minutes? Advertisers demanding a refund because they'd paid high expecting their ad (scheduled for full time) to be seen by an audience of millions, but instead seen by a few thousand watching a repeat of Coronation Street!

Oh, and you might have guessed from my new avatar, my MoTM vote goes to Jordan Lee Pickford. :beers:

kirky

I used to play hockey and I've done a bit of umpiring in my time. The trouble with football is that there arent enough sanctions available to the ref. Certainly a time limited sending off - a sin bin- is worth a try. But I like the advance play ten metres rule. Awward free kick, issue card, dissent fromculprits - then advance play ten metres. If that results in a free kick in the box then that is a penalty kick. It stops dissent quickly and play usually resumes quickly which should keep the advertising and media people happy. Just my 2p.

Cheers
Kirky.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

scottmitchell74

I am really a fan of the penalty-box (sin-bin) idea. Playing down a man (or two) because your goofy player(s) can't behave will cause management and ownership to get involved. Kangaroo Court can come into play. Get put in the sin-bin for a stretch, you get fined.

Something has to happen. As an American who came to soccer late (2006) I must say one of the hardest sells to my contemporaries is all of the flopping/flailing/rolling. It makes for a bad visual.

ALSO - the South American and Euro basketballers have brought this nonsense to the NBA! Now massive humans like Lebron James (A player I otherwise love) have learned the power of flopping and go flying across the court like a rhino hit them. Grr!!  :veryangry:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Webbo

Seems to me that yellow cards are usually issued to the tackling player rather than the tackled player who takes a dive after his legs have been touched. Admittedly, South Americans have poorer balance and much more sensitive legs so it's understandable why they seem to be more affected by errant tackles. The theatrics of the likes of Neymar really do hold the game in disrepute and should be punished by yellow cards or sin bins.

Webbo

Newportnobby

I see a certain non Columbian bloated has-been has gone on record as saying the ref was hopeless and that Columbia were robbed ::)

port perran

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 05, 2018, 01:42:00 PM
I see a certain non Columbian bloated has-been has gone on record as saying the ref was hopeless and that Columbia were robbed ::)
Sorry to pick you up on this Mick but I didn't realise that US States were allowed in the World Cup.  :D
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jon898

Quote from: port perran on July 05, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on July 05, 2018, 01:42:00 PM
Sorry to pick you up on this Mick but I didn't realise that US States were allowed in the World Cup.  :D

:confusedsign:  No US state called "Columbia"...there's the "District of Columbia" (not a state) and "British Columbia"...which is actually in Canada.  If you were thinking of DC, then I agree that it is bloated and full of hot air which may resemble the gentleman to whom the reference was made.

Jon

weave

Hi all,

No feedback on today's games?  :confused1:

I didn't get to see either as was working and then the TV was hijacked. There was a reason and now have lots of brownie points  :).

Will watch the highlights.

France v Belgium. Would be interesting to watch that in a border town. Not quite sure how it works. Don't really know how it works on the English/Welsh or English/Scottish border.

If you live on the wrong side do you have to watch and support your team on the other side?

Anyway, all great stuff. I did catch a bit on the radio and there was talk of South American shenanigans. Won't comment as didn't see. It's wrong but it happens. There must have been some good football. Let's hope the rest of us can set an example in the next few games.

Am so looking forward to tomorrow  :claphappy:, or am I  :worried:

Cheers weave  :beers:

Newportnobby

Our posts crossed, Weave.

Well - what a day.
I thought Uruguay held their own quite well until their goalkeeper's nightmare howler and then they reverted to trying to kick the French off the pitch ::) They had no imagination in the French half of the pitch so really deserved to lose.

The Brazil v Belgium game started off thunderingly with Belgium having the upper hand in the first half but they tired slightly in the 2nd half. Try as they could, Brazil could not break down the defence so came away with nothing but another Golden Raspberry Award going to Neymar awarded by the referee instead of a yellow card >:(

No South American teams in the last 4 so all that remains is to see if England can beat Sweden and who comes out top between Russia and Croatia. I suppose as usual the England game will be a nailbiting affair as they swing between great play and poor play :uneasy:

I have to say I am sick and tired of players deliberately obstructing play with their hands held up in the air as if they are doing no wrong. Why the refs have not been told to issue more cards I just don't know ::)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations