curved points / crossover on curves

Started by bluedepot, August 26, 2018, 08:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi everyone

do you encounter any more running problems with curved points / a crossover using curved points?

i've never used curved points before so i just wondered...

cheers

tim

ntpntpntp

No reason why there should be any problems at all.  I can't comment on the Setrack curved points,  but I have code 55 curved points here:   

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

broadsword

ntpntptn Is that a DB layout, looks most impressive .

railsquid

Quote from: bluedepot on August 26, 2018, 08:43:18 PM
hi everyone

do you encounter any more running problems with curved points / a crossover using curved points?

I have a pair of Tomix curved points (280mm/315mm radius) as a crossover on my main running lines, no fundamental problems so far, though you need to take care they're laid as flat and as evenly as possible.

I'm gradually testing all my stock on the current iteration of my layout to check for potential problems in various locations, the British stuff will be up soon so I will try and remember to leave a comment if I notice something.

Bealman

I have several curved code 80 points. No problems encountered.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris Morris

Streamline curved points have given me absolutely no problems. Set track curved points are rather sharp and can cause problems with steam locos. My 9F won't negotiate a set track curved point because the wheelbase is too long. The set track points also sometimes appear to be responsible for Dapol milk tanks derailing.

Streamline curved points look nice.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

Yes, I've always had a fondness for curved point, they seem to me to look more prototypical.

twinklekev

I have some set track curved points and I've found that short wheelbase steam loco's stall on the dead frog. It's way too long. Tender locos, ok. Diesels, ok. but Farish 0-6-0's (Panniers in my case) very hit and miss. Dapol 14xx not a chance. Dapol 45xx nada. Farish large praries, again hit and miss.

If I was building the layout again I wouldn't have used them but gone for the streamline one's instead. 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing  :confused2:

Kevin

Newportnobby

I use 2 at each side of my main layout in conjunction with a straight large point to provide a bi directional freight loop.

No issues at all.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: broadsword on August 27, 2018, 01:08:49 AM
ntpntptn Is that a DB layout, looks most impressive .
Yes it is, thanks!   Built in 1995. Still works fine though very rarely comes out to shows now - more to do with the operating team getting old and creaky, plus it takes quite a while to set up  - my eyes aren't so good for stringing the overhead over the board joints now!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

To be honest you have my utmost admiration for ever being able to work with the wires at all - especially under them!!

I could never cope with that, even years ago.  :thumbsup:

bluedepot

cheers everyone! that is reassuring!

I'm going to buy some code 55 curved points then for my new layout.

construction starts in the next 3 weeks or so... although that will just be the boards.

Tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations