The shed

Started by first timer, September 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big bad John

Old engine oil and paraffin mixed about 50/50 is a good substitute for the old creosote of yesteryear for coating your shed. Disadvantages are A- It does stink a bit for a couple of days, B- It will need at least 2 coats a couple of weeks apart and C- it comes in a limited range of colour's (dirty dark brown). The advantages are A- it's cheap, B- rain and moisture will just skate off, C- no mold or mildew will be able to live on it. My Dad's old shed lasted 52 years with this treatment and was still as solid as new when we had to get rid of it although he did give it another coat every 5 or 6 years. You may want to look at some of the newer preservatives that require less coats (if you only want your shed for 5 or 6 years) or want a trendy colour.

The Q

As I've built my own shed I built it with polystyrene sheet below the wooden floor but above a damp proof membrane.
The problem with the tin foil bubbles is the possibility of popping bubbles, I don't think you will lose anything by putting the foil down I'm just not sure how effective it will be.

My shed floor is partly 150 year old yellow pine flooring recovered from a warehouse, this has been sanded and varnished. Sadly my source dried up before I had enough for all the floors. The  rest is a water proof 3/4 inch particle board, this will be covered in those interlocking rubber mats. Not just insulating but soft on the feet.

As for the outside, genuine creosote is the best, but only obtainable if you have a friendly farmer or qualified person who can still obtain it. I've not much left but it will be topped up with old engine oil.

My own shed is fibreglass covered meaning no more maintenance,  the commercial part of the wooden shed, was sprayed with the wax based coating, the north and east side stayed ok but those facing south and west seemed to fail in the sunshine after a couple of years. So I Could have resprayed but instead went for more fibreglass..

For inside I've just used cheap white gloss paint for baseboard framing / supports, where I wanted a varnished surface I used a quality varnish, as varnish is more fragile especially if in the sun. For baseboard I'd use the same, ( only I'm using foam baseboards so don't need to)

Mito

Diesel fuel is used here as a preservative, agricultural is cheaper. Smells and increases the fire risk but effective.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

first timer

Hi all, up date on my shed, insulation is now fitted hardboard to cover has been ordered and will  arrive sometime this week, had a quote for mains power this morning and instead of taking it from the main board he is taking it from a mains socket and fitting a fuse/breaker box in the shed. Quote consists of;- 1 strip light, 6 power points, and a outside security light. total:-£480 inc.V. A. T. more updates later.

Regards
       Les H.

TrevL

Les, my suggestion would be NOT to use hardboard, but 9mm plywood.
My first shed had hardboard, but over time it absorbed moisture and started to bow and buckle.  However, my second and current shed is insulated with Celotex and lined with the 9mm ply and after about 4 years, there's no sign of of the previous bowing of the sheets. A bit more expensive than h/b, but definitely worth the extra cost.  HTH
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

first timer

The shed is now lined with boards and the frame for the base board has also been fitted. Next job is to paint it ( a nice pale blue is my choice ) that will be done in the next few days, next is the flooring, then have the 12mm plywood cut to size for the base board ( 7ft 5ins x 3ft ) then the electrics. Then I hope to be ready to start designing some sort of layout. Getting very excited now.

Regards Les
                         :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

first timer

The shed is now painted inside (a nice sky blue ) next is the insulation,underlay, and carpet. and then the electrics which is being done by a electrician, because I have not got a spare fuse on the board he says he can take it off the main double socket that runs straight to the fuse box, ( that should start a few remarks ).

Les  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

first timer

Well I am surprised no one commented about how my shed electrics are going to be fitted.

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Big bad John

Well I would say the most important thing is not how he does it but that it is a safe way of doing it which I assume he should know if he's a qualified sparky. Personally I would have asked him to fit a second consumer unit next to the existing one and taken the feed feed to the shed from that fitted with the appropriate MCB. Something like this one
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-4-module-2-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/1582g
Remember that a dodgy install could void your insurance in the event of a catastrophe.

colpatben

Quote from: first timer on February 19, 2018, 05:52:52 PM
Well I am surprised no one commented about how my shed electrics are going to be fitted.

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
Pop over and peruse this.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40310.msg490024#msg490024
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Newportnobby

Any comment from me about electrics would just be shocking :dunce:

dannyboy

You always get one bright spark!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

first timer

The shed floor has now been layed , double layer of insulation, underlay, and then the carpet. and yes the electrics are being installed by a qualified sparky.

Les H.

Newportnobby

Be warned, if you make it too comfortable some bloke called Newportnobby has a habit of moving in ;)

first timer

My wife has already asked me where the bed goes.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations