!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Should I keep the station/road area?

Keep it the same
8 (88.9%)
Change its current appearance
1 (11.1%)
Change the whole scene on the bridge, if so, what could the station be replaced with
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: A Layout for University  (Read 9054 times)

Offline AR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Layout for University
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »
I like that idea, but my instinct is always constructive rather than de-structive (I know rolling stock often has to die, but it's always sad!).
How about a small wagon works / engineering firm? I wonder if modelling part-built / restored stock is a bigger challenge than broken-up stock?
There is also scope for making some jacks / lifting equipment?
Just a thought, your model after all.

Skyline2uk

I really like that idea, thank you! I will look into it, especially the lifting machinery, that could be an interesting feature!

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2017, 08:14:57 pm »
Re lifting jacks; Farish sell some ready made, but I suspect you will want to do your own (and why not!).

Alas can't add pictures quickly from my phone, but a Google image search for "railway rolling stock lifting equipment" give the type of things....

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:13 pm »
Do you have room for a rail mounted crane? Might open up some opportunities for other buildings or facilities in the space?

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2017, 09:07:56 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I may go for constructive rather than destructive, though haven't decided exactly what yet! I like the lifting jacks idea:)

Also, I have been thinking of a rail mounted crane and researching it so I may end up having one on the other sidings, quite rusty and left alone if it doesn't fit in the works siding!

Thanks,

Alex

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:41 pm »
If you'd like three grounded railway van bodies to use as stores (they could be cut down lengthwise and used low relief), I have an unwanted Peco blue "Rail Express Parcels", white "Insulfish", and red and grey "Railfreight" van body (no use for mounting on chassis as the below solebar detail is broken), just PM me and I'll post them off. (Two need roofs; easily made from card.) Suitably weathered they will look good.

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2017, 11:08:02 am »
Hi guys,

I have decided that the small siding will be a private industry, probably a small engineering firm. Maybe a restoration company or the like that has bought the space as it was cheap and has direct rail access. This will encompass a small workshop with lifting gear as well as a short stretch of track for storage, not connected to the main track. Components will then be transferred between these by use of a small crawler/wheeled crane. This will also be used to lift heavier parts from road transport to the storage area. Not finalised yet but that is what is in my head so far!

This is a (bad) artist's impression of the area. The area with the crane in it will be a bit longer to allow for movement:

Maybe slightly random but, as I am modelling south east London in the modern day, it is common to see track sections painted white and I was wondering why this happens, is it to mark sections for replacement? I would be very interested in any explanation and to see if I could somehow incorporate it into the layout!

Finally, in one of the main sidings, I would like a rail crane. As per usual with me I would like to build it myself but I need a chassis to base it on. If anyone has some old bogies or a wagon chassis they are willing to sell, just let me know as eBay is proving somewhat fruitless in this regard!
Anyway, I am working on the crane for the engineering firm today and maybe the building tomorrow so I will upload some photos of my progress later!

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:47:36 am by AR »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »
Hi Alex,

Was interested in your question about the white track. Found some answers, although there is some debate about it so don't have a definitive answer, on RailUKForum.

I don't think I am allowed to transfer the info here but there is talk of reflecting light at points to stop expansion, repairs as you said and other things.

Not much help but just googled 'why are railway tracks painted white'.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
Hi Alex,
Was interested in your question about the white track. Found some answers, although there is some debate about it so don't have a definitive answer, on RailUKForum.
I don't think I am allowed to transfer the info here but there is talk of reflecting light at points to stop expansion, repairs as you said and other things.
Not much help but just googled 'why are railway tracks painted white'.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers weave  :beers:

How very interesting, I would never have thought of reflecting heat but it would makes lots of sense! Thanks!

Thanks, the crane build has begun!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2017, 10:48:14 pm »
Rails are / were painted white to help deflect the heat in the summer months.  It is generally switch rails and a certain length either side of pointwork that is painted.  The idea is to try and help keep rail temperatures down during the warmer weather to try and reduce point failures and track circuit failures.  It was initially an experiment, I'm not sure what the results were and if it is still practice to slap the white paint around...  Other paint marks on rails can identify rail defects found by ultrasonic rail tests. Spray paint markings on sleepers are used to mark up sites ready for Tampers & Stoneblowers to do their thing or to mark up sleepers that need to be changed.

Hope this is of use / interest.

John

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »
Hello all!

A few things to update you all on!

Firstly, thanks for all your comments and suggestions, they are really appreciated! Thanks also to 25901JFM for informing us on the white rail experiment, very interesting!
Rails are / were painted white to help deflect the heat in the summer months.  It is generally switch rails and a certain length either side of pointwork that is painted.  The idea is to try and help keep rail temperatures down during the warmer weather to try and reduce point failures and track circuit failures.  It was initially an experiment, I'm not sure what the results were and if it is still practice to slap the white paint around...  Other paint marks on rails can identify rail defects found by ultrasonic rail tests. Spray paint markings on sleepers are used to mark up sites ready for Tampers & Stoneblowers to do their thing or to mark up sleepers that need to be changed.
Hope this is of use / interest.
John

Secondly, I should have the track delivered by Tuesday or Wednesday so I can get it laid and weathered! This will hopefully really make a difference to the appearance of the layout as up until now there has been little in terms of proper railway things!

Finally, I have started work on the old crane for the engineering yard. I fear it may be a little too big but if it is then either I'll have it for Flordon or use it as a learning curve haha! Here is the work so far overall:

I hear you ask, what are the little silver paperclips extruding from the side? It doesn't work does it?

Indeed it does!! :no: :claphappy: Albeit small and the mechanism rough, the arm should move up and down and the height of lifting will also be able to be adjusted! As you can see, it was a bit of an afterthought but luckily only the bottom had to be opened up! The mechanism looks quite untidy but it is all situated in a space about 15mm cubed!

I look forward to any comments or suggestions:)

Thanks,

Alex

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2017, 02:48:05 pm »
Excellent bit of scratchbuilding, sirrah :thumbsup:

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:43 pm »
Hello all,

I know that this crane isn't really railway stuff but I am justifying it by the fact it will be on my layout haha! Soon I will have the track so can realign the thread with a more railway orientated theme!

I can confirm that the main jib moves smoothly up and down but unfortunately due to the lack of weight available, the hook doesn't really move on its own! It will be static so it doesn't really matter that much, it still moves freely so I will be able to put it in position!

Not finished by a long way yet but it's looking the part I think:)

Thanks,

Alex

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2017, 08:16:31 pm »
A really excellent model, Alex. An excellent visual lesson for anyone who thinks they have to buy a model, or kit of one, instead of scratchbuilding.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2017, 10:44:43 am »
Excellent bit of scratchbuilding, sirrah :thumbsup:

Oh yes, fully agree with NN, excellent work Alex  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:08 pm »
That crane is amazing Alex.
Great modelling.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything