I'v given in............

Started by Alex, September 10, 2012, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Mc

Hi,I've been on facebook for about six weeks now and have found it to be a bit of a laugh really.As a classic rock fan,I have liked all my,or quite a few of my favourite bands and so far am intending on going to see some of them fairly soon,so upto now,its been worthwhile.
The original reason was to keep in touch with a girl I had a very brief,I can't even call it a fling ,it was briefer than that even.Anyway that was my main reason.Thing is though,I got kind of,a bit carries away such is the wealth of stuff on there that you can see.So I now have a fairly comprehensive list of likes that reflect me as a person so all and sundry can take a look.The only thing is though,theres not a lot of mention of my enjoyment of railway modelling other than the magazines and this forum plus Dapol.
This is primarily due to the fact that I.don't want to scare any women that may apply for the job of the next Ms or Mrs Pete Mc.That revelation will be made when they discover they can't live without me and I complete them.    :D
That may be some time off yet but then so what?

Pete
:Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

longbridge

Personally even though Facebook is not for me I know most of my family members about 30+ love it

Maybe I have been on forums for to long like 12 years or more and converse with people that way or by PM,email or whatever.

I send emails with photos to many friends and family around the world, enjoy every minute of being a member of this forum and getting to know forum members that I have never met but still consider to be mates.

Facebook and Twitter seem to be in the news quite a lot with talk of people being slandered, bullied and so on, I know you can make your identity invisible or private to others but that to my way of thinking defeats the purpose of what Facebook set out to do and that was find old friends.

Anyhow Alex I hope your Facebook account does what you want it to and that you will enjoy participating in it.

PS
What do you do if someone hijacks your account ??? the first time I opened an account was over a year ago but closed it a few weeks later, before I opened an account for the second time earlier this year I did a search to see if I could reactivate my old account, I found my account but could not remember the password I used, I rejoined but instead of using my surname I used my middle name as a surname, after joining I did another search for my real self and sure enough someone had somehow  hijacked my closed account and my details such as where I lived and what school I went to were still there as was a picture of myself, I did not know any of the people that had taken over my account and they had dozens of friends none of which I knew.
I cant close the account for a second time because I still cant remember the password, obviously the people that are using the account must have changed the password somehow to one of their own, I tried to log in using every password I have used over the years but nothing worked.
When I closed the first account I got a message and email notifying me that the account was now closed.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

OwL

Each to their own, but not something I would be wanting to do. It just seems that these social network sites can do more harm than good. Besides something bigger or better will be along soon, and all the hype will blow over with Facebook and twitter.

If you want to keep in contact with mates, just send them an e-mail or text.
Simples ;-)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

upnick

Quote from: Alex on September 10, 2012, 11:11:47 PM
Quote from: upnick on September 10, 2012, 10:44:18 PM
Hi  Alex  :wave: 

Well  i'm on  facebook i   find it fun as i  have a lot of mates on there from  work  &  a previous site i  was on,  hope the books go  well  on there  had a look  for you but couldnt find you to send a friend request ?

Hi Nick,

I've fixed the facebook thingy below my avatar.

Alex :wave:

Hi  Alex  :wave:

Missed the facebook  symbol   under your avator   ::)  sent you a request & message  :thumbsup:

PLD

True conversation...

boss: "Can you set up a Facebook group for the company"

tech: "Sorry can't do that"

boss: "why not"

tech: "well it would be a breach of the 'social networking policy' YOU wrote and access is blocked from the company network..."

:doh: :o ??? :dunce: :-[

MikeDunn

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 11, 2012, 03:54:38 AM
the purpose of what Facebook set out to do and that was find old friends.
Er - no.  That was Friends Reunited.

Facebook (or The Facebook as it was originally) was intended as an electronic version of the college Yanks yearbook; it's moved on since then (allegedly !)

longbridge

I would have thought Facebook was whatever a person wanted it to be  ??? I know when I joined I looked up old friends and found a couple so for me it was just that, a place to find old friends  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

Like I said, it's moved on since the original incarnation

Sprintex

Blimey, the LAST thing I'd want to do is contact or be contacted by past "friends" or colleagues! Who needs "hangers-on"? If they were that important we'd still be in touch without Faceache wouldn't we?  ;)

Therefore I prefer to stick to the advice given above . . .

Quote from: OwL729 on September 11, 2012, 07:50:24 AMIf you want to keep in contact with mates, just send them an e-mail or text.
Simples ;-)

Nuff said  ;)

Paul

Tank

Quote from: Sprintex on September 11, 2012, 01:32:48 PM
If they were that important we'd still be in touch without Faceache wouldn't we?  ;)

Without Facebook I couldn't keep my family abroad up to speed with developments over here.  They are quite poor and don't have a phone line, yet are able to access facebook at work.  This has recently enabled me to let them know that our uncle had died two weeks ago, and they were able to send flowers.  Yes, I could have emailed them, but facebook is a lot more convenient to use.

It totally depends on the individual to how they can use social networking sites.  If you are a person who likes to stay in contact with people from the past, only allow people you know to be 'friends' with you, set the privacy settings on your page, then you should be fine!  If you allow random people to be your friends, then you're asking for trouble!  It truly is 'each to their own'.  But, when you look at how many people use it worldwide, then it is obviously a huge success in modern communication - whether on a personal or business level.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations