Map of layout locations

Started by railsquid, January 10, 2016, 04:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Just an idea which popped into my miniscule mind - we have a map of where members live, how about a map of where layouts are located - not physically, but the location they're based on, though obviously that wouldn't apply to entirely fictitious layouts. 

:idea:

Bealman

[smg id=4578 type=preview align=center width=400]
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Not so much a collection of maps/trackplans but a map like the members' map where you can see where layouts are based.

Bealman

OK... but that's going to end up with a plethora of pins in the UK like the members map, and it would all have to be based on info from members, then put onto Google maps. Quite a big job for the team, methinks.

A nice idea, but possibly impractical - let's see what members think!  :thumbsup:

George

railsquid

Yup, like I said just an idea, thought I'd note it down before I forget :thumbsup:

weave

Hi Railsquid,

Like the idea but as Bealman says there would be a map problem.

Was just thinking (out loud  :worried:) What about a list of counties that people who model them could put their member name against so others of similar interest (suppose more scenery wise rather than era) would know where to look for inspiration.

Countries, with specific areas from the member, as well, in a separate section otherwise I'm out the game.

I think there's a what/where do you model thread but if it was a list, people could dip in and out. I dunno. Maybe talking rubbish and just been told I've got to take the dogs out and buy a chicken  :doh:

weave.

Bealman

Yeah... chickens are easier and cheaper to look after than dogs  ;D

weave

Quote from: Bealman on January 10, 2016, 09:18:50 PM
Yeah... chickens are easier and cheaper to look after than dogs  ;D

;D

Sorry off topic but wish I could swap them as pets.

Bought the chicken and other stuff at the farm shop as had to go there for aquarium stuff for SWMBO's hobby. Took the dogs to the field opposite (hadn't been before) which is used for car boot sales as nothing there.

Thought great, not car boot sale time of year and all done in one hit. Didn't take long to realise
why.

Big bogs, filthy, really stinky dogs and (I know it doesn't rhyme) but lots of earache when I got home. Had borrowed her car too  :doh:

Chicken was nice though  ;)

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Did that with our labrador once... I copped similar flak  :thumbsup:

DELETED

Hi,

Sounds a great idea in theory but I wonder why it would be needed to balance the investment in resources.  I imagine it woukd take allot of time / effort and only as relible as the input and I'm not sure what the benefit would be other than a nice to have?  Google is a fantastic thing -you can search almost anything you like appending .ngaugeforum or rmweb or the likes etc.  If you want to find a region or era it's just so way easy now to use google or the relavent forum search engines.  Not knocking the idea (I guess I am though), but it seems like a heap of diverted effort for forum admins for something not going to be used much.

Rich

railsquid

The advantage of a map would be that would be easier to discover layouts it hadn't occurred to you to search for. Say if you're modelling a station on a certain line, it'd be nice to be able to look on a map and see who else is modelling the area, otherwise you'd have to actively search every station on the line.

Anyway just throwing the idea out there, I appreciate it's a lot of work and certainly not demanding that the forum admin team jumps on it right away, but you never know, someone might like the idea enough to do something with it.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, maybe I can come up with a solution myself independent of the forum  :idea:

red_death

There's no reason that the forum admins have to enter all the data - just ask people with layouts to enter their own location.

Cheers, Mike

Newportnobby

I'd have thought the simplest thing to do would be to start a thread asking the question "Is there anyone modelling xxxxxxxx?"

Bealman

With respect to the OP, (and don't get annoyed at me Squiddy!) I don't really see the point in it.

red_death

I think it is very interesting in terms of general interest, with my exhibition manager's hat on and with my manufacturer's hat on.  Knowing what people are (and aren't) modelling in terms of period and location is incredibly useful and interesting information.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations