Map of layout locations

Started by railsquid, January 10, 2016, 04:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on January 18, 2016, 09:00:44 AM

Let me know if it still pesters you for login information or if it is instantly viewable now. :)

It's instantly viewable, Phillip, but still asks me to log in to Google.
Being a computer numpty myself, could you PM me simple instructions as to how to add my 2 layouts to the map please?

Karhedron

Nice idea. I have popped Chew Magna in along with a photo.

:thankyousign:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Ensign Elliott

Great idea! I've added my layout - Lostwithiel to Fowey

marco neri

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

weave

Quote from: weave on January 18, 2016, 06:47:17 AM
Thanks,

Unfortunately I can't access your link as it just comes up with my wife's Google account thing for some reason needing a password (which I don't know) and she has just left for work.

Will try again tonight to see what my computer has done and what you've done and hopefully contribute.

Cheers weave.

The earlier link should take you to the edit page for the map. Not sure what it asks for the login as I specifically told it you don't need to be logged in to view or edit the map. This link should take you straight to the map and not require login: NGF Layout Locations
https://goo.gl/maps/X7K5tnqbhRv

Let me know if it still pesters you for login information or if it is instantly viewable now. :)

Thanks but still doing it. I think it's my computer not your link. The wife uses the computer when her work one is not available or charged and cocks it up for me as I'm not computer literate and it sometimes does strange things (and so does the computer  :D). She works in IT and sure she will sort it in 2 seconds when she's back.

Will try again tonight.

Cheers weave.

Dave Searle

I've added Hinksey Yard.

Cheers,

Dave
Epsom & Ewell MRC

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: newportnobby on January 18, 2016, 09:22:37 AM

It's instantly viewable, Phillip, but still asks me to log in to Google.
Being a computer numpty myself, could you PM me simple instructions as to how to add my 2 layouts to the map please?

So unfortunately in order to add locations it seems you have to be logged in. Anyone who doesn't have access to a google account should PM me the following information:

1. Layout Name
      2. Layout locations (this can be coordinates or a rough description including the nearest town and preferably the county)
      3. A VERY brief description including the approximate dates and the company/companies modeled.
      4. A link to a photograph of the layout, if desired.

Anyone who DOES have access to a google account should follow these steps to posting a location:

1. Click on https://goo.gl/maps/X7K5tnqbhRv and log-in
      2. Click on the blue edit button on the left-hand side above the list of places.
      3. Either searching in the bar at the top of the map or clicking and zooming, find the location you wish to mark.
      4. Click on the "Add Marker" icon, which is located below the search bar, between the picture of the hand and the incomplete triangle, and has a picture of the same markers used on the map (somewhat like an inverted teardrop).
      5. At this point the marker should appear and a little box with it that will say "Point ##," which you should change to your layout name. Below this is a small box for describing your layout (include dates and companies/regions if possible). There is also a camera icon in the bottom right hand corner of this box which you can click to add a link to a picture of your layout. When you are finished, select SAVE, and your layout is marked on the map!

Hope this helps!!!!

-Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

hst

Hi I have no idea how to upload my pictures to your site.but I do now no that I have loaded up hstshed and hst shed HSTSHED     HST SHED. I am not It or PC mined what is pm post me.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: hst on January 18, 2016, 01:26:31 PM
Hi I have no idea how to upload my pictures to your site.but I do now no that I have loaded up hstshed and hst shed HSTSHED     HST SHED. I am not It or PC mined what is pm post me.

PM stands for Personal Message or Private Message. I don't see HST she's on there right now, if you want to tell me where it is and send a link to a photograph of it, I will place it for you. :)

railsquid

Thanks for doing this, @N-Gauge-US , I'd never had got enough round tuits.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: railsquid on January 18, 2016, 01:42:16 PM
Thanks for doing this, @N-Gauge-US , I'd never had got enough round tuits.

Not a problem at all :D I am more than happy to do it!

railsquid

OK, added mine, on the far right of the map ;)

hst

Ment to say on you tube hst shed

Ben A

Hi there N-gauge US.

Thanks for setting this up - what a great idea.

I have added Horseley Fields with a photo.

The teardrop for the layout is yellow and I could not work out how it was selected or how to change it.

Having the teardrops coloured to denote era seems like a decent idea to me, though I guess that would be quite a bit of work for you?

If it helps, our layout is 2000+ so pretty much Era 9 and (if it is now in widespread use) Era 10.

cheers

Ben A.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: Ben A on January 18, 2016, 08:32:20 PM

Hi there N-gauge US.

Thanks for setting this up - what a great idea.

I have added Horseley Fields with a photo.

The teardrop for the layout is yellow and I could not work out how it was selected or how to change it.

Having the teardrops coloured to denote era seems like a decent idea to me, though I guess that would be quite a bit of work for you?

If it helps, our layout is 2000+ so pretty much Era 9 and (if it is now in widespread use) Era 10.

cheers

Ben A.

No problem, Ben! This got brought up on the "map of forum members' locations" thread a while back and no one seemed keen to make it, even if they wanted to see it. Since essentially all of the work is done by the contributors and not by the person who sets it up, I thought I would take on the "burden."  ;) 

Everyone seems to like the color coordinated era or layer themed by era, so I will do my best to start tackling that in the immediate future. :) I may wind up PMing some of you if I can't easily find your layout thread or an indication of your period, so that everyone gets sorted. Once I do, I'll have it display a key so that everyone can know what they are seeing and I will include that here as well as instructions on how to change the color of your marker :)

-Philip (N-Gauge-US)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations