Black Friday - the longest day of the year?

Started by daffy, November 24, 2017, 05:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Today is, apparently, the longest 'day' of the year! :o. In some parts of the country it 'dawned' over a week ago, and its doesn't look like the clocks will strike the closing bells until sometime on Sunday, or even later.

And why is it considered 'black'? :hmmm:  I suspect when this 'day' is done, and the little plastic card payments are all added together, a lot of folks will be looking at figures on the red side of their accounts.

Or is that the very reason for the naming, for come the reckoning, the mourning after, many may look back in a black mood.

But I've not been tempted to surf the net or brave the High Street to seek out the 'bargain' that just had to be bought, and have spent my rather short - in daylight terms - sunny blue sky day watching paint dry (though I did have to spend a few hours applying the stuff first. ;) So we are now the proud owners of a nicely painted hallway in our bungalow, and that I count a real bargain!

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

mattycoops43

Agreed, grumpy old man I may be, but I count ourselves in a war with the major retailers. They seem to think every single date on the calendar has to come under the remit of one special event or another. I disagree, I think some days are just normal days, with no reason to rush out and buy pointless overpriced tat.

I will happily spend money on my hobbies, on the things I love doing. I won't pay ridiculously over-inflated prices for multiple gifts and presents for a long list of days, Mothers day, Fathers day, Valentines day etc etc etc, when those days used to warrant a simple card and a hug and tell someone you love them.

Baaah Humbug!

guest311

sorry, but ANY email I receive which mentions 'black friday' is immediately consigned to the black hole, otherwise known as DELETE !

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: mattycoops43 on November 24, 2017, 06:38:47 PM
Agreed, grumpy old man I may be... I won't pay ridiculously over-inflated prices for multiple gifts and presents for a long list of days, Mothers day, Fathers day, Valentines day etc etc etc, when those days used to warrant a simple card and a hug and tell someone you love them.

Baaah Humbug!
I bet I'm more humbug-ish than you!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

port perran

We've not bought a thing today and also consign any email or snail mail mentioning Black anything to the bin.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Despite me generally disliking US imports such as Hallowe'en and Black Friday I confess to pre-ordering a DVD boxed set from Amazon today. It will no doubt be cheaper a couple of weeks later.
:sorrysign:

paulprice

If you ask me its all a load of old tutt, and another thing its Christmas soon, BAH HUMBUG

port perran

Only 126 Shopping Days till Easter (ifyou count Sundays as a shopping day).
I expect to see Easter Eggs in the shops in early January.

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

If I remember correctly what the guy on the checkout in Tesco told me last week, they already have the rollout of Easter all set and ready to replace the Christmas stuff.

As for Christmas, my wife and I have decided that this year we will not be present on the 25th when one of our grandkids opens the obscene number of presents that get bought for them by parents, other grandparents and relatives, family friends (nearly every child in their class at school will probably be involved in the reciprocal craziness), and heaven knows who else! As the 'big day' follows relatively hot on the heels of a birthday that descends into the same realm of materialistic madness, it's enough to make my blood really boil!

And I'll see all the humbugs and raise you a Werthers Original.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Mito

Not very black here today, in fact a lovely sunny day with a mid-day temp around 25C :sweat:
Christmas is a no-no for us. We go up into the mountains to a friends restaurante and have tapas and a few drinks and a great time. The 21/22 of December is for me. I can look forward to longer days again.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Bealman

Ah, now it dawns on me!  :-[ Thanks, folks!

I too, have been getting black Friday email adverts, but, like others, have deleted them immediately.

But only cos I couldn't work it out - black Friday to me has always been Friday 13th!  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

I have to confess I did order something online today...

£20 worth of miniature toggle switches from Rapid Electronics!  :D

Cheers,

Chris

Shropshire Lad

I bought a class 40 but in my defence I've been waiting ages for it!

Evans

Black friday is a great day to realise that the one big thing i bought 2 weeks ago is now cheaper to the tune of £150  :censored: even tho it was reduced by £400 when i bought it!!!!! oh well live and learn or possibly not  :no:

daffy

Apparently the end of the World as we know it is less than 48 hours away, as according to a recently seen headline we are about to be invaded by creatures that we all thought were merely fiction.

Yes, Cyber Menday is nigh! (It might be a misprint or my prescription needs updating).

Fear not though, as it'll all be over by Tuesday.

........won't it? :worried:

P.S. My wife reckons my pills aren't working this morning. :( :confused1:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations