The shed

Started by first timer, September 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

first timer

Hi all, the shed has been delivered and built, the insulation has been ordered and should be fitted by the end of next week. Because of my disability instead of fitting, measuring, screwing, and sawing and adding bits of wood here and there I am going to buy 3 heavy duty trestle tables and sit the plywood on top, any comments or ideas are welcome.

Les H.

David Asquith

Hi Les,

Is your layout going to be on one board?  If so you might want to consider hinging your board to a wall so you can get to the underneath without crawling to do your wiring.  This subject is quite well covered on the forum particularly by us older, less agile ones.  Hindsight is a great thing and I wish I had done it at the start.  I can't do it now though without cutting through lots of track and scenery as my layout has grown to a flat n shape.

Dave

texhorse

Hi Les

Good to communicate with another shed layout owner.  Another thing I would suggest at this point relates to layout design.  As we get older, having a "duck under" becomes a bit of a pain when we struggle to get up from hands and knees!  This year I rearranged my layout so that it's in a U shape and runs from end to end, instead of a loop. 

If you don't mind running from one end to another rather than a "roundy roundy" layout, I'd recommend this.  My layout is more accessible to me now, and I find it more inviting when visiting the shed.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

first timer

Thanks for your comments lads but no one has mentioned my trestle idea.

Les :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Lawrence

Les, if, because of your disability, you are unable to fix the layout to the shed walls, might I suggest you get a local handyman or such, to fix your boards in the shed how you want them.  It probably wont cost a great deal more than buying 3 heavy duty trestles and you will be safe in the knowledge that all your hard work wont end up on the floor because you lent on the wrong bit!

dannyboy

I have to agree with Lawrence, a fixed baseboard is much more preferable to a loose one sat on trestles. As Lawrence said, lean on the wrong bit ........... :doh:. Have you any relatives or neighbours who are handy with a saw and screwdriver? Living where I do, there is no way I can help you, but if a relative/neighbour could assist in their spare time, it would only cost you a few drinks.  ;). If necessary, as Lawrence suggests, have a word with a local handyman or two. Good luck with it.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

first timer

The board will sit on the trestles but also L brackets will be fitted to the shed upright battons and the underside of the board to anchor it down.

les

texhorse

Yet another vote for Lawrence's idea, Les.  Permanently installed boards will be a wise investment in the long run.

Andy
UK
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Bealman

Another agree from the Antipodes.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

first timer

O K you,ve convinced me that a frame around the shed wall will be better and neater, I also thought after that trestles would make it very difficult to do the wiring, so a frame it is, treated before fitting of coarse. Let you know how I get on with the insulation and the extra brackets to be fitted so as the 4ft x 2ft board will fit over the top of the insulation. O I,m going to have fun.

Les :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

daveg

Great decision but do think about the hinged idea as working on the underside of the layout, sitting on the floor is not the best place to be!

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Dave G

Bealman

These days, when I go under my layout, it takes 3 days to get out from it!  :beers:

texhorse

A lot of us can appreciate what you're saying Bealman.  I'm 51 on Monday (no hint intended), and the layout was first put up 19 years ago.  In those days, my health was obviously a heck of a lot better than it is right now.  So, no thought was ever given to how I would be struggling in the future.

Amazing how the years have given us wisdom.  Now, not only have I made the layout more accessible and user friendly at the age of 50, but I'm also considering how I'm going to be at 70 as well.  Trying to build those features in now, means I won't be struggling more than ever, or giving up the hobby altogether when I'm even more disabled in the future.

Andy
UK
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Bealman

Thanks, Andy. You've hit it right on the head, as far as I'm concerned. I could duck and dive under my layout back then, but that's it..... back then!

Approaching my late sixties, me brain works but other stuff breaking down!

Anyway, no thread hijack.... accessibility is most certainly a consideration!!  :thumbsup:

first timer

O K. all you budding carpenters how do I fit hinges:- on the top of the board or uderneath  and what sort and how many, board will be 7ft 4in long 2ft 9in wide.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations