spellings on EBAY

Started by Highland Handlebar, April 26, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Any pacific examples of that?

It's almost as bad as random capitalisation of words that shouldn't be ;-)

TrevL

Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Intercity

Try reading the book Feersum Endjinn by Iain M Banks, most of it is written in a form of pigeon English, when you see the words it makes no sense, however once you say what you see it does make sense, it's a hard book to read, but it gives you an idea how difficult the English language can be.

SheldonC

Quote from: bob lawrence on June 29, 2018, 12:40:41 PM
I suspect misspelling occurs due to the use of predictive text, but there again so may Malapropism.

In many of my own cases it's more a case of the fingers notkeeping pace with the mind.

Jus like that!

Highland Handlebar

here is the latest, great western cholestery coaches.

Obviously arriving at Paddington statin!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Highland Handlebar on October 13, 2018, 09:35:13 PM
here is the latest, great western cholestery coaches.

Obviously arriving at Paddington statin!!

:laughabovepost:

Trainfish

What about pronunciations? I keep seeing an advert on TV for Anusol. They pronounce it Anu-sol but surely when you think what it is used for it sshould be Anus-ol. The "ol" could even be a shortened version of hole but let's not go there or we'll never get to the bottom of it  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Comments like that will make you the butt of other peoples jokes.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

SheldonC

Quote from: dannyboy on April 26, 2018, 10:04:14 PM
Totally agree with the above. Why people can not write "They're having their tea over there" and know the difference between the spellings, is beyond me!  Whilst I do abbreviate words, e.g. isn't, I usually only do it when writing informally, like wot I do on 'ere  :). If I am writing something 'proper' I like to write the words out correctly. Down to my upbringing I suppose and what I like to think of as being educated correctly. So are we blaming teaching standards these days? But that is another topic.  ;D
Could it be an age thing?

I spent several years working with a large proportion of under-30s, whose education seemed to have been so different from my own that they had little in common - a phenomenon that was aggravated by their use of texting abbreviations.  I have noticed the latter has even leached over into the spoken language, such as "crate" instead of "create".  Is there no hope?

njee20

I'm 32, and find the written English of many to be dire, age is not a factor.

Newportnobby

Quote from: SheldonC on November 17, 2018, 08:59:10 PM
Is there no hope?

None whatsoever. The digital age has killed off what remained of the English language. People don't write any more but type, using abbreviations which cannot be understood half the time. Off topic but there was talk on Breakfast BBC this morning that e games may become an Olympic sport.
The end is nigh :dighole:

SheldonC

Quote from: njee20 on November 17, 2018, 09:40:26 PM
I'm 32, and find the written English of many to be dire, age is not a factor.
That's one hypothesis down the pan, then.  But perhaps you are a sign that there is some hope for the language.

njee20

I certainly consider myself a shining beacon of hope for the human race ;)

Intercity

I remember English classes back when I was in school, We got essays and had to write them out in pen, they had to be a certain amount of pages, and spelling and punctuation had to be correct.

Did the modern age of puters and speel cheekers change all dat?

njee20

No, you tended to get word counts because that was easy to check, although at uni we went back to page counts.

Most mistakes people make would pass spell checkers anyway - loose is the opposite of tight, "should of", their/there/they're etc.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations