More thieving to report....

Started by Skyline2uk, February 23, 2014, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristolmar

My wife keeps an air rifle in the bedroom and is itching to use it on an intruder.

Me I just want an easy time

Beer calls...........................must run

Zogbert Splod

Some kind of scum sucking bottom feeder managed to get into my car last night and stole my sat nav from the glove box. In one way, that's not the worst of it. He/she/it did the dirty deed without breaking in. Now, I CAN say, for sure that the car was locked because it auto locks even if I forget to do it myself. If no keys are in the ignition and no one is in the vehicle all the doors lock automatically. I don't know what to do about that. Looks like someone has a key or knows how to pick the lock.
The local plod say it's unlikely anything can be done unless someone is caught in the act. I am assured that if I catch someone and 'deal with it' myself, I will likely end up in bigger trouble than they do.
Things are upside down!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Malc

Sometimes the thieves use an electronic sniffer to "listen" to the commands going back and forth between your key fob and the car. They then play them back and gain entry. We had something similar around here with people loosing the small change they kept for parking meters. I fitted a wifi camera in the porch that overlooks the front parking area in my house.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Geoff

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on June 27, 2015, 01:25:05 AM
Some kind of scum sucking bottom feeder managed to get into my car last night and stole my sat nav from the glove box. In one way, that's not the worst of it. He/she/it did the dirty deed without breaking in. Now, I CAN say, for sure that the car was locked because it auto locks even if I forget to do it myself. If no keys are in the ignition and no one is in the vehicle all the doors lock automatically. I don't know what to do about that. Looks like someone has a key or knows how to pick the lock.
The local plod say it's unlikely anything can be done unless someone is caught in the act. I am assured that if I catch someone and 'deal with it' myself, I will likely end up in bigger trouble than they do.
Things are upside down!

I had one of them Auto Locking cars and I hated it, the car did not feel secure so from a new car to an older car that you push the button because I like to make sure all the doors are locked, i had a new renault and sometimes when you thought it was locked the boot was still not locked,I soon got shut of it.

Sorry about the loss of your stuff and yes anyone who steals off folks are total low life scum.
Geoff

Newportnobby

Was the car at your home at the time, Allan?
If not, I hope you don't have 'Home' and the postcode listed under 'Favourites' or 'Recent destinations'
Far too often it has led tea leaves back to someone's house when they are not there :worried:

Zogbert Splod

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

woodbury22uk

Sorry to hear about this theft.

Three of my very close neighbours have had their high-end cars stolen from the driveway outside their homes. All were very new and believed to have been hacked electronically as they were part of a spate of such thefts locally.

My humble Focus lives in the garage when not being driven out on the road, but I hope nobody would want to steal it or its meagre contents.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Basinga

I had someone break into my car once. Well, I say break in, I was daft enough to leave it unlocked...
They took the £2.50 change I had in the mug holder, but worse than that, they went through my entire CD collection in my glove box... and left every single one of them dumped in the footwell... As far as I could tell, they didn't take any :uneasy:

Also on the note of sat-navs, I always set "home" to my town's closest supermarket carpark. Afterall, once the sat-nav has directed me close enough to home, I don't really need it to direct me to my driveway :p

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on June 27, 2015, 01:25:05 AM
In one way, that's not the worst of it. He/she/it did the dirty deed without breaking in.
Sorry to hear of your tribulations Splod.
But in another way, trying to "look on the bright side of life" (/monty), in the olden days you would be needing to replace a broken window, or worse maybe a scratched door, as well as replacing the satnav.

Sorry, dont expect that does much to cheer you up !
I'm with Woodbury on this, little ol end-of-life bangers for everyday use that no one wants to even look inside let alone steal :)
A lot of the time I dont even bother to lock mine. (has the advantage that if you lose your key and it is raining you can still sit inside it whilst the domestic staff bring you the spare :) :) )

PaulCheffus

Quote from: MalcolmAL on June 27, 2015, 01:14:12 PM
I'm with Woodbury on this, little ol end-of-life bangers for everyday use that no one wants to even look inside let alone steal :)
A lot of the time I dont even bother to lock mine. (has the advantage that if you lose your key and it is raining you can still sit inside it whilst the domestic staff bring you the spare :) :) )

Hi

So the majority of the population should never have anything nice because of the minority. That doesn't seem right to me.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

MalcolmInN

Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 27, 2015, 01:19:56 PM
That doesn't seem right to me.
I agree, it is all wrong, but life can be like that at times.

Mind you I didnt say what I have as my special nice one and how I protect it ( as best I can) and how I never leave anything tempting in it if left alone for any length of time etc&etc ,  is that OK ?

edit ps I did say previously ol bangers for everyday
I dont use my Volvo for everyday shopping etc.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Basinga on June 27, 2015, 01:11:32 PM
As far as I could tell, they didn't take any :uneasy:
:laughabovepost:
That is adding insult to injury !

Jon898

Supposedly, some of the more enterprising thieves here in the US are learning to look for the octopus sucker marks left on your windscreen from the satnav suction cup mounting.  Don't know if that's reached the UK or whether it originated there.  Current police recommendation here is to wipe the glass off when you remove the satnav and also to reinsert the blank plug into the lighter socket.  Otherwise I guess you could go for one of those "universal" mounts that clip onto the vent grilles.

The Cuckoo

Quote from: Jon898 on June 27, 2015, 04:20:56 PM
Supposedly, some of the more enterprising thieves here in the US are learning to look for the octopus sucker marks left on your windscreen from the satnav suction cup mounting.  Don't know if that's reached the UK or whether it originated there.  Current police recommendation here is to wipe the glass off when you remove the satnav and also to reinsert the blank plug into the lighter socket.  Otherwise I guess you could go for one of those "universal" mounts that clip onto the vent grilles.

Thieves using the window suction marks as an indication as to what may be in the car, this has been going on for quite a while here in the UK.

joe cassidy

Quote from: Basinga on June 27, 2015, 01:11:32 PM
they went through my entire CD collection in my glove box... and left every single one of them dumped in the footwell... As far as I could tell, they didn't take any :uneasy:

The thief must have strange tastes in music  :D

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations